L plates.

Anyone tell me if there is any restrictions on taking a class 1 over the water with a driver on “L” plates?
I know it’s fine here, but not sure over Europe.

Good question , I would assume now that now all E.U driving licences have been harmonise
you would be ok

BUT

As everybody knows in haulage assume nothing.

I would think the R.H.A would be your best bet or failing that Neil or one of the other “continentals”

I have never intentionally seen L plates on a uk truck abroad.

I think there could be problems as every country has different age limits and qualifications.

In most of Europe the HGV is a theory and practical training before testing. Belgium excepted :stuck_out_tongue:

I have just read my insurance shedule and it says drivers must have full licences

Never seen a UK vehicle with L plates over the water and I doubt it would be allowed. I just checked in Croner and for every country I looked at it said

National Driving Licence or International Driving Permit appropriate to the class of vehicle being driven.

By definition if you hold a provisional licence you don’t hold a national driving licence, just a provisional entitlement.

Aside from that I doubt insurance for over the water would be easy to get for a provisional licence holder.

Neil -
Why wouldn’t a provisional class 1 be classed as a national licence?
All licences are now Euro standard, so wouldn’t one expect there to be a consistancy throughout the countries?

HERE in germany ihave never seen a learner driver either from germany or any other country driveing outside,there home land,ANOTHER point here
a person can hold a licence to drive heavygoods when under the age of
"“21"” but until they reach the age of “”“21"” are only allowed to drive
class ““C.E”” vehicles inside GERMANY , THIS is how the germans get
the youngsters through a 3year course at the end of which they paticipent
will have a CE;Licence, forklift licence, possibly a hiab certificate, ADR licence.
load&LOADSECURITY CERTIFICATE; First-aid certificate, and also passed a
4-5 part city&guilds exam, also not forgetting the car licence,
This course involvs on-hand work experience in the :: workshop, transport
office, wages office, driveing instruction+test, driveing with a firms driver on
various trips from locals to long distance inside germany, tuition in a trade training college, etc , when you hold this exam in germany this can be
a benifit in getting higher wages, a secured position of employment,
and when you due to ill health are unable to carry the job out any more
it makes it easyier to get your pension early,

ianyng:
Neil -
Why wouldn’t a provisional class 1 be classed as a national licence?

Because a National Licence would be a full licence and a provisional isn’t, it is a temporary licence pending passing the test and gaining the full version. Look at the definition of the word provisional,

temporary; for the time being or immediate purposes only; liable to be altered.

In no way can a provisional licence be regarded as the real thing.

I realize its not a full entitlement, but its a shame you can’t drive class 1 on L plates over the water.
My brothers just got his class 2, and I was thinking about double-manning down to Italy.
Ah well - another idea bites the dust.

Another point is that the L Plate as we know it is a UK thing, the majority of drivers over the water wouldn’t recognise it for what it was as they don’t have them in their country.

THE SIGN for germany is FAHRSCHULE

Just for the record…In Holland you can hold a CLASS1 HGV from 18 years of age :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

SMUDGER:
Just for the record…In Holland you can hold a CLASS1 HGV from 18 years of age :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

so how legal would it be to go to holland (if you’re 18 ) take your test and come back here and get a class 1 driving job - an EC licence must be valid here!!!

Denis F:

SMUDGER:

so how legal would it be to go to holland (if you’re 18 ) take your test and come back here and get a class 1 driving job - an EC licence must be valid here!!!

Good point Denis!!

I do belive that you must have lived inthe country where you took your test.for a period of "“6"” months,as this method of getting a licence is being used by those who have been banned in germany from driveing,
they< go to either Poland or Cezch and take part in a driveing course
where upon if they pass,are given a licence from the country concerned,

as for holding a C:E: licence you must be over 21years of age,or takeing part in the young drivers course, i belive,

Denis F:

SMUDGER:

When I passed my car test at 17, like most of you I got the C1 (7.5t category) automatically. Although it was printed on my licence it came with the proviso that you needed to be 18 before it became valid, so I suppose it would be the same in this situation ie a full licence is held but the age requirement has not been met. Just a thought!

When I passed my test, I was given an immediate exemption from speeding fines.

It said, TEAR ALONG DOTTED LINE :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
It said, TEAR ALONG DOTTED LINE :stuck_out_tongue:

I was complimented on my parking the other week, the note stuck to the windscreen said -
Parking Fine

I’ll get my coat…

A chap at work was going to buy a moped for his son and looked into the licence situation. He was told that foreign learner drivers (if you know what I mean) are not allowed.

I assume that would also apply to trucks as well then.

ianyng:
Anyone tell me if there is any restrictions on taking a class 1 over the water with a driver on “L” plates?
I know it’s fine here, but not sure over Europe.

why?
why would anyone want to confuse a learner driver like that?
don’t you think the learner has enough to deal with learning to drive a hgv in this country without taking them to another country?
what would be the benefit?
is the driver planning an extended driving exam with the examiner and himself seeing his ability to drive on the wrong side of the road?
are there any driving exams taken in the uk which require continental driving experience or testing?
the answer is no or non or nein.
the exercise is superfluous to requirements and may only hinder the learner drivers progress towards a pass in this country.
concentrate on getting a full uk licence then teach them about european driving.