Candian Licence

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help. I have a mate who’s coming back from working in Canada where he gained a Canadian HGV licence (on a Canadian driving licence).

Does anyone know whether that will be valid in the UK? Or will he have to take his HGV test overhere again? He still has his UK licence - but his HGV entitlement is on his Canadian licence!

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

JT

JTWhalley:
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help. I have a mate who’s coming back from working in Canada where he gained a Canadian HGV licence (on a Canadian driving licence).

Does anyone know whether that will be valid in the UK? Or will he have to take his HGV test overhere again? He still has his UK licence - but his HGV entitlement is on his Canadian licence!

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

JT

Had the same senario with an Aussie who had a roadtrain licence,
He had to take the UK LGV test - yes, I know it’s daft but I don’t make the rules.

to add - the Aussie did both C & CE here and was then off to Canada where, you guessed it, he will have to do their LGV tests - weird world :unamused:

he will also have to do the lgv theory test

anyone know the policy for ireland?

i have driven trucks in ireland on an aussie licence for about 6 months last year

hope it was legal!

thamesvalley.police.uk/roads … /index.htm

Gibraltar and Designated Countries
The designated countries are:

Australia, Barbado, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Malta, New Zealand, Republic of Cyprus, Singapore, South Afric,a Switzerland, Zimbabwe.

Visitors
If someone is resident outside the UK, and is temporarily in this country and holds a full ordinary entitlement, they can drive any category of vehicle up to 7.5 tonnes and with up to 16 passenger seats shown on their licence for up to 12 months from the date they last entered Great Britain. This applies whether or not they brought the vehicle into Great Britain. If they also hold full entitlement to drive large lorries or buses they are only allowed to drive large vehicles registered outside Great Britain that they have driven into the country.

Residents

Provided a person’s full licence remains valid, they can drive small vehicles for 12 months from the time they became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement a Great Britain licence must be obtained before this period elapses, by exchanging their licence for a Great Britain licence. If they do not do this they must stop driving, although they may apply to exchange their licence at any time within five years of becoming resident.

Vocational designated licence holders
New residents may not drive medium or large vehicles or passenger carrying vehicles until they have passed the relevant Great Britain driving test.

Also try this link - INFO FROM DSA