Returning from canada

A friend of mine is living & working as a truck driver in Canada at the moment. His HGV licence for the UK has run out. How easy (or difficult) will it be for him to get another HGV licence on his return in two or three years time?

When my British HGV licence expired I talked with DVLC in Swansea and they told me I have to reside in the UK before i can renew it, but that it was simply a matter of getting a medical exam and sending in the forms with my expired licence.
However … since I read about how stupid it has become over there regarding drivers laws (CPC etc) … don’t think I will bother.

Still the same as Pat says although after sept 14 he will have to sit 35 hours driver cpc training to drive legaly.

I had to renew my photocard part of the licence about 3 years ago and I’m sure all that I did in that instance was to go on the DVLA or yougov website and renew it all online. They used the photo from my passport and it arrived in the post at my parents house a week or so later. Obviously if you’re over 45 and need the medical that’s no good when you’re in Canada. Unlike Canada though, where your licence (in NB at least) is lost two years after the date of expiry. In the UK you can let it expire and simply renew it again in 20 years time etc.

Many thanks for your help guys. From you tell me, he might stay over there till he has enough money to retire!! lol

So how did you guys keep your UK licences ? When I changed my licence here they took mine off me and said I could not have both.

You could apply for a duplicate before leaving the UK.
Although Manitoba exchange info with the DVLA as both myself and flysheet had to apply for new UK licences when we returned as our old ones were invalid although its fairly easy to sort out.