T.G.B. Motors Clitheroe

Any have any information etc regarding this vehicle dealer . are they still in business ? , what did T.G.B. stand for ? .

shugg:
Any have any information etc regarding this vehicle dealer . are they still in business ? , what did T.G.B. stand for ? .

“Too Good Byfar” what I was told it stood for. TGB was owned by the Harper family who also owned Primrose Trailers who also did Third axle coversions and chassis extentions.IIRC TGB were origionally Guy distributors and in later years ERF dealers.Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

shugg:

“Too Good Byfar” what I was told it stood for. TGB was owned by the Harper family who also owned Primrose Trailers who also did Third axle coversions and chassis extentions.IIRC TGB were origionally Guy distributors and in later years ERF dealers.Cheers Bewick.

Correct , Dennis. Looks like old Tommy Coward told you this in the `60s. , as they bought their Guys from there .
The Harper family had connections with their ilk around Sedbergh .
Cheers , cattle wagon man.

You beat me to it Dennis, a pal of mine had a Bedford TK Fitted with the Primrose axle there 1961,It was a total disaster, it used to bend at the back end of the chassis, he had to put wedges in it, but it ended up back as a 4 wheeler, Regards Larry

Bewick:

shugg:

I was once told that T.G.B.stood for" thousands of good bargains " , I"am sure there must be someone out there who will prove us both wrong !!! .

Hiya,Larry and CWM,this is a shot of the first artic I ran and I had the trailer built at Primrose Engineering,Blackburn,it was a 32ft long tandem “four” which I had it built on wide track axles (didn’t fancy the centre knave wheels that such as Pitt and the other manufactures used on the narrow standard axles) I also utilised the same hub and brake assemblies as the Mastiff front axle,it did have 7 leaf springs which if they’d been available I would have used single leaf which we did on all the new trailers I bought subsequently. The Primrose trailer never let us down during the time we ran it with the Mastiff and we could carry an 18ton payload at 26 ton GVW.But I know what you say about 3rd axle conversions,they usually left a lot to be desired thats why I never converted any of our 4x2 tractor units in later years.

TGB is just a 5 minute walk from my house. Sadly the building is now all boarded up, a far cry from when it was the ERF dealership! I can remember the Trailblazer colours on the new B series tractor units,and the new units ordered by AJA Smiths waiting for there PDI checks. :smiley: Happy days

The official origin of TGB is Tower Garage, Bury, one of the companies owned by the Harper family.
I used to work for Primrose Third Axle company in Blackburn from 1960 to 1970,and for a couple of years was based in Clitheroe. I am now living in South Africa, and transferred in 1970 to work for a company that had contracted to sell Primrose products in South Africa. The one thing about Primrose was that the products were inovative, and some worked though some unfortunately didn’t.
rgds, Jim Campbell, Johannesburg

Hello all, Jim Campbell has said it all, some worked, well some did not, but the basics were right!! Better third axle than the "Walsall specials"of Henry Boys! Primrose did some “tandem fours” for me back in the 68/69 time, and they worked well behind Dodge 1050s. (Glad I did not have to drive them though, the tractors, not the trailers)!! Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Hello all, Jim Campbell has said it all, some worked, well some did not, but the basics were right!! Better third axle than the "Walsall specials"of Henry Boys! Primrose did some “tandem fours” for me back in the 68/69 time, and they worked well behind Dodge 1050s. (Glad I did not have to drive them though, the tractors, not the trailers)!! Cheerio for now.

Primrose built my first trailer,a tandem 4,which we could run at 26 tons GVW behind the first Mastiffs,the second Mastiff being 28 ton GVW which had to pull a tandem,so I chose York from then although by the time the trailer fleet had reached circa 10 and York had declined to do anything about improving the low gearing of their landing legs I changed over to Crane Fruehauf.I still bought a few new and secondhand Yorks in the future years but the winding speed of their legs was always a " bone of contention" so by the mid seventies I stopped purchasing Yorks altogether which was a shame as always thought the York had a smoother running gear and superior braking to the Crane.But Cranes had the edge overall so I reluctantly left York and continued to buy Cranes until the appearence of the 38 ton tri axle when I again changed to TASK ■■■■■■■■■■■ who were prepared to build trailers to our own “spec” which included chassis ready prepared for fitting the Bo-alloy Tautliner body.Happy and interesting days!! Cheers Dennis.

tarmactipper:
TGB is just a 5 minute walk from my house. Sadly the building is now all boarded up, a far cry from when it was the ERF dealership! I can remember the Trailblazer colours on the new B series tractor units,and the new units ordered by AJA Smiths waiting for there PDI checks. :smiley: Happy days

My dad got an M-series ERF 4 wheeler back in 1979 from TGB at Clitheroe, it was a tipper with the Dorman V8 engine in and the gearbox half way down the chassis. She had an insulated body on it and was owned by John Higgin builders merchants at Colne and I remember the strip across the top of the windscreen - TGB TRAILBLAZER - loved every minute of it.

Got one of those sunstrips somewhere,too much junk in my loft!

TGB stood for Tower Garage Bury it used to be opposite J & H Hinchcliffes, Walmersley, Bury my dad and uncle worked for them back in the late 40s, 50s and early 60s when they moved to Clitheroe.