Fred E Roper

Bit of a thread resurrection here :slight_smile:

Fred Roper’s yard was originally just outside Sutterton village on the road to Wigtoft. It’s owned by Deptford’s now. Fred & family were long-time friends of my late father’s. I seem to recall that Fred & Chris (?) moved out to Derbyshire at some point in the 80s, but then Fred returned to set up a yard on the A17 not far from Fosdyke Bridge.

His trucks used to be mainly Volvos in the 70s & 80s, a burgundy colour. I think the blue/silver scheme was the later one after he returned.

The only driver of his I can remember was Alf Kemp who went on to be a civvie MT driver at RAF Coningsby.

Hi All

My Dad (M P MUSGROVE) Stamford… running with Candy from F.E.ROPER (Fosdyke)

jaymus:
Hi All

My Dad (M P MUSGROVE) Stamford… running with Candy from F.E.ROPER (Fosdyke)

Your not having alot of luck chap ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

roper1.PNG

Me waiting to re load in Swiss…

jaymus:

Great photo jaymus.
What brand of trailer (MONTRACON, TASKER or what)it was?

RADIM:

jaymus:

Great photo jaymus.
What brand of trailer (MONTRACON, TASKER or what)it was?

Hi RADIM

Not to sure on this one ,I was only doing holiday relief for two weeks with this one. It was nice to work with rather than a tilt :slight_smile:

Hi Jaymus

I belive you, curtainsiders or euroliners are easilier for work than old tilt.

I know Fred E Roper had 12.5mts tilt from Overlander/STOCKS on mechanical suspension. Somewhere on net is photo, when this trailer pulled by Volvo F16 is comming to Dover docks.

RADIM:
Hi Jaymus

I belive you, curtainsiders or euroliners are easilier for work than old tilt.

I know Fred E Roper had 12.5mts tilt from Overlander/STOCKS on mechanical suspension. Somewhere on net is photo, when this trailer pulled by Volvo F16 is comming to Dover docks.

I worked with a 12.5mtr with Fred, it was one of his older ones…I was the new boy ….start at the bottom aged 23,but to be fair all his trucks were up there with the best F16s F12s & a 143. :smiley: :sunglasses:

Stanfield:

Cheers Stanfield…F12 -400 horses . Martin the driver ….always had the kettle on (top bloke)

And what about this?

RADIM:
And what about this?

Don’t mention the flag!!!

jaymus:

RADIM:
And what about this?

Don’t mention the flag!!!

What do you mean?
Is anything wrong, jaymus?

NMP

Can anybody remember Fred E Roper from Fosdyke or Sutterton near Boston? I am fairly sure that was the name, he had nice looking Volvo’s; blue and silver I think. Anybody got any pic’s maybe?

yes certanly can they use to run Swiss i belive possiably with Uniex.

I remember Fred. Good bloke - I think he had his son-in-law drive for him?

Hullo,
I remember Fred Ropers’ motors running down to Swiss, they started running down there when I was on for Frans Maas, then I did a bit for Uniex out of Yarmouth and they were on there. There were a couple of decent blokes on there, one was a big chap, he was the first driver on there and was the first one I met, a big bloke with a lot of curly black hair, he had a Nickname but I can’t think of the name right now. I think he left Fred Roper when he (Fred) started to get more motors, Their yard was at Fosdyke, right beside the main road.
Cheers, Archie.

I went past his old yard earlier this week, and there is nothing there anymore thats what got me thinking. Suppose he must of made his money and called it a day. Would be nice if anybody can dig out any pictures because they always looked tidy motors.

not sure if Fred was in any way involved with Pegasus based at long Sutton?