HARRIS ROAD SERVICES

Kenb:

Steele:

Kenb:

Steele:
My dad and grandad were both drivers for Harris Northwich. Apparently my dad got the first DAF on the fleet, still has a magazine knocking around with it on the front cover somewhere!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Morning - what were their names?

Kenb

Rob Steele is my dad, Jim Taylor my grandad.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info
I must admit I am struggling with those names, but it’s a long time ago.

Interestingly the first Daf that Harris had was a long term demo a Daf2500 Dktd wad put on the Mars Elmdon to Slough 24hrs shuttle - never let them down, hence it was purchased and it was when Mars bitterly complained out the poor reliability of the ERFs thats when the Dafs were purchased in quantity, they were the 2800s. After some time ERF were so upset they gave (free) Harris a brand new motor with a Gardner turbo engine - that went on the ICI salt contract with Reg ? His wife worked in the office Beryl? Reg kept very accurate fuel consumption figures - I think it was 13mpg amazing.
Your dad - remember - Bob Steele - remember know.

Regards

Kenb

…could that have been Reg Johnson? I think he came from Harris to Western Transport and did occasionally drive the tankers. (A few others moved from Harris to Westerns both TDG firms. I think the foreman fitter Mike Buckley did also)