Intercity transport

Stayed at hindley green with the inter-city boys,many a good night in pub across road.Big danny&co

When i worked for Cert at Warrington we had a guy come down from ■■■■■■■■■■■ who i believe came from Inter-city / TDG by the name of Gordon Scott does it ring any bells with anyone also just after him another guy came down from CERT,s Depot in ■■■■■■■■■■■ this guy was called Alex McLean does anyone know were he went to . Gordon went on to join Wincanton and is quite high up there these days i believe

Big Leggy:
I worked for Inter City Transport & Trading at the very end of the 1960’s – ■■■■■■■■■■■ Depot !
Depot Manager then was “Sanny” Dixon – foreman was “Jock” Crawford – I’m afraid I can no longer recall most of the drivers names but a few were – Duncan Valentine, Willie MacFarlane, Willie Tate, John White (who lost an eye in an accident when loading Ford’s crated spares),
Contacts I recall included – Ford spare parts (mainly to Alexanders {Ford agent in Scotland}), Carnation Milk, Camp coffee out of Clyde St. Glasgow, Whisky (various distileries) – also the distribution of Belling Electrical goods as there was two dedicated vehicles in Belling colours.
The Inter City Depot was at Old Inns on what was then the main Glasgow Rd. – I lived in Carbrain ■■■■■■■■■■■ New Town.[/quote

Ive known Duncan Valentine for many years,through his sons, I use to stay at his house on my visits up from Derbyshire, I remember he use to night trunk from ■■■■■■■■■■■ down to Leigh every night, then when I started driving I always use to call in and see him when I could if doin a Scotch.

Hello Intercity lads - were the ford spares in wooden crates the same as these behind the 88 on the 40’ single axles :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: ? in ‘your’ day , didn’t realise the parts ctr was at aveley then - i remember it being at Daventry ( still is i think ) , spent many a time their accompaning my old man as a kid in the 70s , Aveley was the parts recall centre then & multi drop round the ford dealers on a flat rope n sheet , unbelievable now :open_mouth: Remember a trip to intercities depot at Leigh

tonyhogi:
A long forgotten sight is the blue & white lorries of intercity transport before they disappeared into TDG obscurity . If i remember rightly they had depots at Leigh & ■■■■■■■■■■■ . They used to be a familier sight at Ford’s parts distribution centre at Daventry in the 70s as i believe they held the contract for the north western parts deliveries . They also had several F86s painted in ‘carnation milk’ red & white colours as i presume this was another customer of theirs . The last vehicles i remember them using were Daf 3200s which they replaced the Daf 95s with :confused: Did anyone work for them & has anyone any pics :wink:

Hi Mate worked there at leigh depot in early 70s, Sorry no pics, did a bit of everything as you did in those days, tramping, carnation, fords, couple of names spring to mind, Bert dicko[carnation] Aurther Chatfield [Manager]prob dead now,Ronnie Sheilds[Depot Sup] fords, Bill Rowson Dep Foreman, memory Is not what it was, We used to run out sundays a lot in those days. ■■■■ O the North London Colney Anyone got any memories From City Days Jog the Memory LOL!!!

CJA1:

tonyhogi:
A long forgotten sight is the blue & white lorries of intercity transport before they disappeared into TDG obscurity . If i remember rightly they had depots at Leigh & ■■■■■■■■■■■ . They used to be a familier sight at Ford’s parts distribution centre at Daventry in the 70s as i believe they held the contract for the north western parts deliveries . They also had several F86s painted in ‘carnation milk’ red & white colours as i presume this was another customer of theirs . The last vehicles i remember them using were Daf 3200s which they replaced the Daf 95s with :confused: Did anyone work for them & has anyone any pics :wink:

Hi Mate worked there at leigh depot in early 70s, Sorry no pics, did a bit of everything as you did in those days, tramping, carnation, fords, couple of names spring to mind, Bert dicko[carnation] Aurther Chatfield [Manager]prob dead now,Ronnie Sheilds[Depot Sup] fords, Bill Rowson Dep Foreman, memory Is not what it was, We used to run out sundays a lot in those days. ■■■■ O the North London Colney Anyone got any memories From City Days Jog the Memory LOL!!!

CJA1:
this thread seems to have Died a Death!!, Com"n You Guy"s, there must some of you worked at the Leigh Depot?, Lets have Ya Stories CJA1".

Hi, in my Inter-City (note the hyphen) days 58,59 and 60 Fords spares were at Averly, also tractors were loaded at Basildon and Dagenham (by the Irish mafia) we also did engines from Langley near Slough. Other regular traffic for Scotland from the south was paper ex Reeds of Aylesford near Maidstone, Enfield Rolling Mills,Coffee Beans for Camp Coffee and of course empty Whisky casks…Tony.

Hi, I have uploaded a thread about Inter-City over the last couple of days. The driver who drove the Carnation lorry when I joined in 1974 was Ronnie Payne, he lived in Appleby, sadly he died a few years later. The other driver was Bert Dickinson, who I believe is still alive and living in Leigh. Ronnie was replaced on the Carnation job by Bobby Houston, who was based at the Leigh depot. Unfortunately, I went to his funeral four or five years ago.

Hi don’t forget the harpenden depot which I worked at from leaving school at 16 till I could get driving 7/5 tonner at 18. Shunting those 2800 with their knock across gearboxes was great then the first of the 95 's.
A lot of the drivers are still local working for various firms. Attached is a photo of my dads roadtrain hooked up to an Inter-City box van outside yard on Southdown ind est

I visited the Harpenden site many times, before it was relocated to Stevenage. Charlie Rogers was the Manager, although he sadly died a number of years later. Then Melvyn Pugh took over and he was around for quite a while. He left a few years before the Williams takeover, unfortunately I lost his phone number a few years ago.

Yeah I worked under Charlie at the start till they got rid of him because of his time off due to by-pass operation, then with Melvyn. I was young lad in office/warehouse shunter/loader handling groupage that we did for fastnet [ part of Sealane Group ] also based in Harpenden. Drivers were Bill Clark Roger Andrews Neil Lowery Pete Evans Nobby Nick Chuck Andy Clark Steve Clark Tony Townsend Ian ZZ Long Eddie Procter Jamie Andrews, mostly day drivers and night trunkers to Leigh change over

Yes I remember a few of those blokes, a lot of them spent much of their time In Proctor and Gamble at Thurrock by the river. I don’t know if any of them were given a job By Williams. I somehow doubt it, even though they all knew the job inside out .

The driver in the Transcontinental was Jock Kellock. The vehicle was then transferred to the Leigh Depot where it was driven by Harry Clare on the Fords Daventry run during the day. At Night the Ford spares were trunked to ■■■■■■■■■■■ and the vehicle was driven by Ronnie Sheills.

imperial183:
The driver in the Transcontinental was Jock Kellock. The vehicle was then transferred to the Leigh Depot where it was driven by Harry Clare on the Fords Daventry run during the day. At Night the Ford spares were trunked to ■■■■■■■■■■■ and the vehicle was driven by Ronnie Sheills.

CJA1:
Hi Imperial183" This thread seems to have died a death? U remember the tanker, I think it run for Colgate Parmolive used to tip ordsall Lane? This one. Oh yeh" and I remember Harry Clare, and Ronnie Sheills Cheers Chris
Inter City Daf Colgates Tank.JPG

CJA1:

imperial183:

CJA1:
Hi Imperial183" This thread seems to have died a death? U remember the tanker, I think it run for Colgate Parmolive used to tip ordsall Lane? This one. Oh yeh" and I remember Harry Clare, and Ronnie Sheills Cheers Chris

Still very little activity on this thread, here is an old one by Numbum I think [Scrapbook] 1970 F86 happy days Cheers Chris.

Inter City [F86].jpg

found this on intnt

Trying to remember what motors you had in the 70’s , i can remember the transcon & 86’s ( some were in carnation colours )did intercity do N/E & the scotch ford parts then ?

Hi. Used to park an old tipper in Inter City yard,“Borrowash”,behind the Clock Garage,Derby. Manager there,a great bloke,i think it was 20 ■■■■,to park all week. State of the vehicles ?. If i remember,they were Ford 6 leggers,on Pet Foods,often early doors,i would give one a shunt with the back door,to get them going,one night i came in with a load of Rock Salt,from Winsford, to some where in the morning,the yard was a skating rink,so i dusted it over and left a pile. Next time i saw the boss,he said,“Forget the ■■■■,just keep up the good samaritan”. Happy days,bunch of good lads.
hulltramper aka borrowash flyer.

Hello all. I came across this site by accident, it came up in a link about ■■■■■■■■■■■■ I started my first class1 driving job at Intercity at Leigh depot in the mid 1970’s. I went to see the manager I think he was called Chatfield the day after passing my test who gave me a start delivering Ford parts on the Liverpool/Southport/Skelmersdale/Wigan run.

I don’t know what happened to Mr Chatfield but he was replaced by Phil Derbyshire as manager with Steven Sharky, Bill Rowson & Pete from Bolton made up the office guys back then.

I remember going out to Procter & Gamble at Ordsal lane Salford with Bob Houston to learn how to rope & sheet. He had a great dry sense of humour :grimacing:
I got a taste of all the contracts Intercity had back then, delivering the empty coffin cases to Fords at Daventry & returning with a full load of spares, Heinz factory at Kitt green was another place I got to hone roping & sheeting skills (Ouch! my hand skin used to crack in the Winter :cry: )

I also did a lot of change overs at Carlisle with the ■■■■■■■■■■■ drivers.

Runs up to Larbert with P&G then over to Grangemouth to load the plastic pellets and back into ■■■■■■■■■■■ depot, I remember Jock Crawford there when he was driving then he went to being Foreman there.
It was a great time, I had the Ford D series V8 and I think there were a couple of Seddon Atkinsons, an old Guy big J 4T and getting into those F86 Volvos after those was like being in a Rolls Royce. :smiley:

I enjoyed the paper contract running pulp up to the paper mill at Irvine then changing trailers or reloading reels for deliveries the length & breadth of the country then into the nearest docks wherever you were to reload pulp.

I remember us parking up on the ground opposite Irvine swimming baths and after a long day on the road a refreshing swim in the pool was very nice indeed. :smiley:

They got a fleet of DAF 2100’s then 2800’s once the 2800’s had spent a couple of years on day/night trunk they were handed down to the day drivers, I went on tramping on a 2800 for a good few years on (I can still remember the reg D143 ESF) I did come across the old girl many years later in the Halewood car plant on shunting duties, she still looked in good fettle.

They eventually moved the depot to a old bus depot on Holden rd Leigh, That was a right mud hole as the trailer park ground was tons & tons of house bricks crushed & when it rained it was a torrent of red mud. :imp: then they moved over to the old Burtonwood air base in Warrington when the TDG group were involved.

I remember coming back one Saturday morning after tramping all week to be met with a line of protesters who were complaing about the 24 hour comings & goings of lorries. :open_mouth:

I’ve lost contact with a lot of the drivers there, sadly a few of them no longer with us. A few names I can still recall are Jeff Catterall, Jimmy Atherton, Dave Barlow, Phil Hankinson, John Denny, Mal Bewley, Ronny Taylor, Brian Parr, Roy marsh, Dave whur, the Wilkes clan Arthur, Ian & Kevin, Sid Meredith, Brian Bennion, Mike Elebert, Ian Black who was on night trunk, Metal Mickey Bert dickinson & Derek Hill who were on the Carnation contract when I was there & old Bert from Lowton (cant remember his surname) and the others mentioned in this thread.

Sadly I have no pictures of the white & blue Intercity livery but I remember that time fondly.

I’m Ian Gorse and I used to take my black & Tan jack Russell ‘Jenny’ with me in the lorry & she was liked everywhere we went. :slight_smile:

lancpudn:
Hello all. I came across this site by accident, it came up in a link about ■■■■■■■■■■■■ I started my first class1 driving job at Intercity at Leigh depot in the mid 1970’s. I went to see the manager I think he was called Chatfield the day after passing my test who gave me a start delivering Ford parts on the Liverpool/Southport/Skelmersdale/Wigan run.

I don’t know what happened to Mr Chatfield but he was replaced by Phil Derbyshire as manager with Steven Sharky, Bill Rowson & Pete from Bolton made up the office guys back then.

I remember going out to Procter & Gamble at Ordsal lane Salford with Bob Houston to learn how to rope & sheet. He had a great dry sense of humour :grimacing:
I got a taste of all the contracts Intercity had back then, delivering the empty coffin cases to Fords at Daventry & returning with a full load of spares, Heinz factory at Kitt green was another place I got to hone roping & sheeting skills (Ouch! my hand skin used to crack in the Winter :cry: )

I also did a lot of change overs at Carlisle with the ■■■■■■■■■■■ drivers.

Runs up to Larbert with P&G then over to Grangemouth to load the plastic pellets and back into ■■■■■■■■■■■ depot, I remember Jock Crawford there when he was driving then he went to being Foreman there.
It was a great time, I had the Ford D series V8 and I think there were a couple of Seddon Atkinsons, an old Guy big J 4T and getting into those F86 Volvos after those was like being in a Rolls Royce. :smiley:

They got a fleet of DAF 2100’s then 2800’s once the 2800’s had spent a couple of years on day/night trunk they were handed down to the day drivers, I went on tramping on a 2800 for a good few years on (I can still remember the reg D143 ESF) I did come across the old girl many years later in the Halewood car plant on shunting duties, she still looked in good fettle.

They eventually moved the depot to a old bus depot on Holden rd Leigh then over to the old Burtonwood air base in Warrington when the TDG group were involved.

I’ve lost contact with a lot of the drivers there, sadly a few of them no longer with us. A few names I can still recall are Jeff Catterall, Jimmy Atherton, Dave Barlow, Phil Hankinson, John Denny, Ronny Taylor, Brian Parr, Sid Meredith, Brian Bennion, Metal Mickey & old Bert from Lowton (cant remember his surname) and the others mentioned in this thread.

Sadly I have no pictures of the white & blue Intercity livery but I remember that time fondly.

I’m Ian Gorse and I used to take my black & Tan jack Russell ‘Jenny’ with me in the lorry & she was liked everywhere we went. :slight_smile:

Great posting Ian,
Remembering all the “full” names is fantastic.
I hope you get some replies, you have some good years at the job.
I think you must be even older than me :unamused: and coming down the M74 last night in the rain on a big de-tour to Cairnryan I gave a lot of thought as to why I still do this, even only once a week.
Cheers mate Harvey, PS I use Paul Gees Photo’s site mainly.