Mancunian transport

does any one remember a firm called mancunian transport :question: ,they used to run black fodens,and erf’s i think,they loaded at ici northwich/lostock in the early 80’s,i’ve searched on here and yet to find a picture,cheers gaz :slight_smile:

I can remember them used to put empty Manchester Liners containers on them for back loads
the odd time from Waugh’s at Newcastle upon Tyne
The sign writing was gold with red shadowing if i remember .

that’s right pal the lettering was gold,they ran a tidy fleet,strange that all the pictures on here there’s none of them,cheers gaz :wink:

GAZ70:
does any one remember a firm called mancunian transport :question: ,they used to run black fodens,and erf’s i think,they loaded at ici northwich/lostock in the early 80’s,i’ve searched on here and yet to find a picture,cheers gaz :slight_smile:

Here’s one Gaz.Another firm I remember that’s long gone is Manchester Tankers who did a lot of waste product.

A Peter Davies photo I think.

I’m fairly sure that Roy Holding who sadly passed away this year did a stint at Mancunian, I think He was in the office also after losing his foot whilst working for them. Was it Ronnie who owned it?? I think Roy was with them untill Ronnies?? Son came on board, I’m wracking my brains now but I’m sure this is correct. I remember Him (Roy) telling Me many tales about them over the years, I maybe should have listened more whilst supping tea with the old lad but thems the bits I remember…

Yes i remember them well they seemed to do a lot of work from manchester to northeast loaded both ways.
regards dave.

If I’m not mistaken there was a couple of theirs running out of freightliner Trafford park a few years back, one of them was a foden, fleetmaster or haulmaster, nice old boy on it with glasses.

dafdave:
Yes i remember them well they seemed to do a lot of work from manchester to northeast loaded both ways.
regards dave.

In their latter years DD they were running 3 or 4 Fodens out of the depot we had in Irlam.Their main traffic was from Brunner Mond to the N.East and we loaded them back from Hartlepool Dock with woodpulp for Makins mill at Disely.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

dafdave:
regards dave.

In their latter years DD they were running 3 or 4 Fodens out of the depot we had in Irlam.Their main traffic was from Brunner Mond to the N.East and we loaded them back from Hartlepool Dock with woodpulp for Makins mill at Disely.Cheers Dennis.

Yeah Dennis,they were regulars on H,pool Dock,Vic.

v7victor:

Bewick:

dafdave:
regards dave.

Yeah Dennis,they were regulars on H,pool Dock,Vic.

Thank you gents for the info.
regards dave.

Well,seeing as we are in Manchester mode,what about this lot,Manchester Tankers.They were all over the place in Lancs and Cheshire and were to be seen tipping as far away as Pitsea in Essex,not far from where I used to load on Canvey Island.
What happened to them?

cheer’s chris webb,thats the first pic i’ve seen on here mate,with any look a few more might come out of the wood work :wink:

Hi, am I correct in saying mancunian are still running? I saw an erf not sure which model: newish type mid 90’s pulling a 40ft container the other week, dark blue cab with red and White possibly gold signwriting?. My all time favourite Manchester haulier was HELMARK who ran an ng merc and a transcon both in black with a gold band, they had ‘the mancunian’ just beneath the windscreen! As mentioned really surprised there are no pics anywhere of these lorries.

I heard somewhere that Mancunian Transport was first known as Universal Transport, here is one of their early ones taken along side the Ardwick Arches on North Western St.

Does anyone recall these which were based on the same street as Mancunian Transport and more or less the same livery.

The last time I remember seeing one of Mancunians lorries I was driving for Geoff Reyner’s (Droylsden) when a Foden Fleetmaster of theirs was running empty containers into Reyner’s yard for storage, this would have been around 2001.

Paul.

Hi pail, did you know a young fitter at reyners Scott Evans? He’s a v good mate of mine, I thought his dad worked there for a while but I think he was at maxi at some point. It’s a shame they sold the mill at reyners, used to lovewalking past it on the way to school! Thanks, harry.

Apologies Paul! I’m using an iPod which decides how I spell seemingly!, harry.

Hi Harry,
I didn’t know Scott, but worked there with his dad Dave Evans and remember him telling me his son was once a fitter their, Dave got one of the last white DAF XF’s they had.
He did come from Maxi Haulage to Reyners, the last time I spoke to him must have been about 2 or 3 years ago and he was telling me he was emigrating to Spain, do you know how he’s doing now.

Paul.

Hi Paul, I’m actually going to contact Scott soon as it happens, his mum and dad have been in Spain for a while now, a successful story: he made it ! Top bloke dave and Scott is a lovely lad too. Incidentally Scott runs his own recovery firm now ‘evans recovery’ based in Oldham I think, running daf wreckers I believe, I’m not on facebook but he’s on it promoting his firm. All the best , harryvr6.

Universal Transport became Mancunian Transport Ltd. The tanker on the back of the old Atki became the diesel storage tank in later years :smiley:. Ronnie Higgins who owned Mancunian started with Jack Holmes (the Scania pictured) as Holmes & Higgins until they went their own ways. Ronnie was a brilliant boss and the ERF which you see running about today with the name on is owned by a chap who bought Mancunian as a going concern in the early nineties. I still have all my wage slips and diaries from my time at Mancunian (saddo :smiley: ) it was a wonderful firm to work for and I have nothing but happy memories.

fly sheet:
I’m fairly sure that Roy Holding who sadly passed away this year did a stint at Mancunian, I think He was in the office also after losing his foot whilst working for them. Was it Ronnie who owned it?? I think Roy was with them untill Ronnies?? Son came on board, I’m wracking my brains now but I’m sure this is correct. I remember Him (Roy) telling Me many tales about them over the years, I maybe should have listened more whilst supping tea with the old lad but thems the bits I remember…

Roy did lose his foot there messing about trying to pull a jammed fifth wheel. The wagon shot off all of a sudden running over his foot. A lad called Peter Vaughun was driving it.