Mancunian transport

Thanks ovlov I thought I was right, Roy never whinged or whined about it & still went out & did a days work with the one foot, He went on to become Diamond H Tspt which His Son still runs today although Roy died last year, a road haulage man through & through…

fly sheet:
Thanks ovlov I thought I was right, Roy never whinged or whined about it & still went out & did a days work with the one foot, He went on to become Diamond H Tspt which His Son still runs today although Roy died last year, a road haulage man through & through…

Bloody hell everyday is a schoolday isn’t it. I never knew that Diamond H was Roy :smiley: .I’ll post a couple of pics when I dig them out.

harryvr6:
Hi, am I correct in saying mancunian are still running? I saw an erf not sure which model: newish type mid 90’s pulling a 40ft container the other week, dark blue cab with red and White possibly gold signwriting?. My all time favourite Manchester haulier was HELMARK who ran an ng merc and a transcon both in black with a gold band, they had ‘the mancunian’ just beneath the windscreen! As mentioned really surprised there are no pics anywhere of these lorries.

Helmark was Bruce Bates Droylsden named after his children Helen and Mark had an M reg Merc 1418 and did ME with it until he gave it up and started on containers ended up with the 1418, 2 Merc1626’s and the Transcon at his peak I think the last wagon he had was a white 113 tag axle on boxes not seen or heard of him for years he always drank in The Bush at Droylsden where the old Reyners drivers got ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ they drove home in their units :smiley:

TIPIT:
I heard somewhere that Mancunian Transport was first known as Universal Transport, here is one of their early ones taken along side the Ardwick Arches on North Western St

Does anyone recall these which were based on the same street as Mancunian Transport and more or less the same livery.

The last time I remember seeing one of Mancunians lorries I was driving for Geoff Reyner’s (Droylsden) when a Foden Fleetmaster of theirs was running empty containers into Reyner’s yard for storage, this would have been around 2001.

Paul.

Yes I remember them, their depot was in tharches under the railway line, this would be the 60/70s Era, Regards Larry.

Mancunian used to be regular subbies of Bewick Transport in the 80’s and 90’s returning with woodpulp from Hartlepool to Disley mill and then later on in the 90’s they had their office in the same warehousing complex we leased at Bessemer Rd. Irlam.At that time they were running about 4 Foden artics mainly from an ICI plant (Mond ?) in Cheshire.Their manager/owners name (If I recall?) was a chap named Ray.Cheers Bewick.

that’s right dennis brunner mond in northwich,a regular run for mancunian,i think they loaded crex out of there.

Great info on Bruce bates of helmark ovlov.
I went to school with bruce’s nephew, used to nag him to get Bruce to take us for a drive in the transcon but it never happened!.
I loved those trucks, didn’t know Bruce did ME work before the containers, I used to see the merc outside bruce’s house and the transcon outside sharna ware at lumb mill round the corner, shame I never took any pics, can’t seem to find any on the net but bruce’s merc did appear with him in a Granada tv documentary I recall.
Wouldn’t be surprised about the reyner drivers to be honest, I knew a lad who’s dad drove for them and got done for drink driving, grimshaw was his name.
Thanks v much, harryvr6.

harryvr6:
I went to school with bruce’s nephew, used to nag him to get Bruce to take us for a drive in the transcon but it never happened!.
I loved those trucks, didn’t know Bruce did ME work before the containers, I used to see the merc outside bruce’s house and the transcon outside sharna ware at lumb mill round the corner, shame I never took any pics, can’t seem to find any on the net but bruce’s merc did appear with him in a Granada tv documentary I recall.
Wouldn’t be surprised about the reyner drivers to be honest, I knew a lad who’s dad drove for them and got done for drink driving, grimshaw was his name.
Thanks v much, harryvr6.

Bruce hung up his keys a few years ago according to info off the net.

harryvr6:
Thanks v much, harryvr6.

Kenny Grimshaw? :smiley:

It may have been kenny grimshaw, what a silly boy.
I am currently building a 1.24 scale helmark merc ng truck and container trailer by the way, I’m planning on doing lumb mill as a backdrop too, I’ll post up some pics when it’s done. Thanks harryvr6.

If it was Kenny he had a Atki Borderer VTJ 199M with a 220 ■■■■■■■ in it. Every night he was at home he left the yard with what ever trailer he had for the next day or just unit only and went straight to the Butchers Arms at the football club and parked the wagon directly opposite the pub on Market Street, came out at closing time and drove home! At that time there was barely a pub in Manchester that didn’t have wagons outside at night with drivers doing the same thing.
I never forgot that Borderer because I had one at Flynn Bros XND 171L with a 220 and I only had another Borderer pass it twice and both times it was Kenny :smiley:

I think he used to park his erf day cab (not sure what Model it was) outside the haddon hall pub on lewis rd near my mum and dads house, like you say it was a common site. Didn’t know Bruce drank in the bush, not much parking space outside there!
I’d love some pics of the helmark trucks, I’m going off memory to build the model I’m doing, thanks harryvr6.

[
[quote TIPIT
You are 100% correct re Mancunian Transport previously being called Universal Transport . My dad (Dennis Dodd) & cousin (Brian Dodd) worked for both companies from around 1965 until the early 80’s when a serious accident at Key Glass in Millwall ended his driving days. The first wagon I remember him driving was 1558XJ (Atkinson ) featured on this page complete with the ‘Liquor’ ( Caustic Soda) tank on a.regular run from ICI Northwich to Billingham. They had the usual ERF & Atki’s but had a few unusual ones -Kew cabbed Dodge, and the one I can still hear to this day - a 1968 Dennis Maxim artic with the ■■■■■■■ 185 V8 on the Soda ash Key glass run with a ‘Banana’ bulk tank. I may still have a photo of the last one he drove lurking in a forgotten box - if it comes to light I will post it.
This thread is unbelievable, the ERF with the bulk tanker is another one my dad drove. The tank was built especially for delivery into Key Glass on Cold Blow Lane Millwall due to the low pipe gantries on site & was the cause of his accident when the pressure relief valve failed & the back lid blew off!

[/quote]
quote=“TIPIT”]I heard somewhere that Mancunian Transport was first known as Universal Transport, here is one of their early ones taken along side the Ardwick Arches on North Western St.

Does anyone recall these which were based on the same street as Mancunian Transport and more or less the same livery.

The last time I remember seeing one of Mancunians lorries I was driving for Geoff Reyner’s (Droylsden) when a Foden Fleetmaster of theirs was running empty containers into Reyner’s yard for storage, this would have been around 2001.

Paul.
[/quote]

I used to load back from them out of The Mond Division Winnington Works, With bagged material for The ICI Works Billingham & ACC Ltd at Eaglescliff, This one was a good tip as you get off loaded at night & the had a rest room where you could get your head down, The good old days , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I used to load back from them out of The Mond Division Winnington Works, With bagged material for The ICI Works Billingham & ACC Ltd at Eaglescliff, This one was a good tip as you get off loaded at night & the had a rest room where you could get your head down, The good old days , Regards Larry.

Hello Larry, mention of ACC at Eaglescliff, do you, or anyone else on here, remember the nightly trunk that Econfreight did with Foden eight-wheeler tippers from ACC to Potter’s chemical works at Little Lever? Potter’s had become part of ACC (which in turn was part of Albright & Wilson) in the 1950s and also made chromium based chemicals. Potter’s closed in 1969 after 101 years of chemical manufacturing.

gingerfold:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hello Larry, mention of ACC at Eaglescliff, do you, or anyone else on here, remember the nightly trunk that Econfreight did with Foden eight-wheeler tippers from ACC to Potter’s chemical works at Little Lever? Potter’s had become part of ACC (which in turn was part of Albright & Wilson) in the 1950s and also made chromium based chemicals. Potter’s closed in 1969 after 101 years of chemical manufacturing.

I an only remember E/F Loading salt at IIRC Winsford back up to Teeside. Regards Larry.

flickr.com/photos/jbschofie … 247672436/
Mancunian Transport FODEN

Mancunian Transport Foden.jpg

Stanfield:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbschofield/sets/72157632196706891/with/15247672436/
Mancunian Transport FODEN

Phone number on the side I,m sure is a Warington phone number, and 818 could mean Padgate, Risley . Were they based on the edge of warrington at some point

The guy that took over Mancunian is Ray Timoney, I’ve known Ray for 40 plus years ,still doing a bit I think for Freightliner ,got a ERF ec11.Regards Alec

They used to load back from The Port of Blyth with paper reels in the 80s Through Fergusons Of Blyth, For Manchester Area, Regards Larry.