Intercity transport

HRS:

lancpudn:
Hello all. I came across this site by accident, it came up in a link about ■■■■■■■■■■■■ I started my first class1 driving job at Intercity at Leigh depot in the mid 1970’s. I went to see the manager I think he was called Chatfield the day after passing my test who gave me a start delivering Ford parts on the Liverpool/Southport/Skelmersdale/Wigan run.

I don’t know what happened to Mr Chatfield but he was replaced by Phil Derbyshire as manager with Steven Sharky, Bill Rowson & Pete from Bolton made up the office guys back then.

I remember going out to Procter & Gamble at Ordsal lane Salford with Bob Houston to learn how to rope & sheet. He had a great dry sense of humour :grimacing:
I got a taste of all the contracts Intercity had back then, delivering the empty coffin cases to Fords at Daventry & returning with a full load of spares, Heinz factory at Kitt green was another place I got to hone roping & sheeting skills (Ouch! my hand skin used to crack in the Winter :cry: )

I also did a lot of change overs at Carlisle with the ■■■■■■■■■■■ drivers.

Runs up to Larbert with P&G then over to Grangemouth to load the plastic pellets and back into ■■■■■■■■■■■ depot, I remember Jock Crawford there when he was driving then he went to being Foreman there.
It was a great time, I had the Ford D series V8 and I think there were a couple of Seddon Atkinsons, an old Guy big J 4T and getting into those F86 Volvos after those was like being in a Rolls Royce. :smiley:

They got a fleet of DAF 2100’s then 2800’s once the 2800’s had spent a couple of years on day/night trunk they were handed down to the day drivers, I went on tramping on a 2800 for a good few years on (I can still remember the reg D143 ESF) I did come across the old girl many years later in the Halewood car plant on shunting duties, she still looked in good fettle.

They eventually moved the depot to a old bus depot on Holden rd Leigh then over to the old Burtonwood air base in Warrington when the TDG group were involved.

I’ve lost contact with a lot of the drivers there, sadly a few of them no longer with us. A few names I can still recall are Jeff Catterall, Jimmy Atherton, Dave Barlow, Phil Hankinson, John Denny, Ronny Taylor, Brian Parr, Sid Meredith, Brian Bennion, Metal Mickey & old Bert from Lowton (cant remember his surname) and the others mentioned in this thread.

Sadly I have no pictures of the white & blue Intercity livery but I remember that time fondly.

I’m Ian Gorse and I used to take my black & Tan jack Russell ‘Jenny’ with me in the lorry & she was liked everywhere we went. :slight_smile:

Great posting Ian,
Remembering all the “full” names is fantastic.
I hope you get some replies, you have some good years at the job.
I think you must be even older than me :unamused: and coming down the M74 last night in the rain on a big de-tour to Cairnryan I gave a lot of thought as to why I still do this, even only once a week.
Cheers mate Harvey, PS I use Paul Gees Photo’s site mainly.

Hello HRS :slight_smile: Thanks, I’ve edited the thread as I’ve remembered some more things/names about my time at Intercity. I’ve more or less retired these days as a chronic back condition brought an end to my HGV driving days and subsequently I failed the HGV medical and lost my class 1 licence.

Thanks Ian.

lancpudn:

HRS:

lancpudn:
Hello all. I came across this site by accident, it came up in a link about ■■■■■■■■■■■■ I started my first class1 driving job at Intercity at Leigh depot in the mid 1970’s. I went to see the manager I think he was called Chatfield the day after passing my test who gave me a start delivering Ford parts on the Liverpool/Southport/Skelmersdale/Wigan run.

I don’t know what happened to Mr Chatfield but he was replaced by Phil Derbyshire as manager with Steven Sharky, Bill Rowson & Pete from Bolton made up the office guys back then.

I remember going out to Procter & Gamble at Ordsal lane Salford with Bob Houston to learn how to rope & sheet. He had a great dry sense of humour :grimacing:
I got a taste of all the contracts Intercity had back then, delivering the empty coffin cases to Fords at Daventry & returning with a full load of spares, Heinz factory at Kitt green was another place I got to hone roping & sheeting skills (Ouch! my hand skin used to crack in the Winter :cry: )

Runs up to Larbert with P&G then over to Grangemouth to load the plastic pellets and back into ■■■■■■■■■■■ depot, I remember Jock Crawford there when he was driving then he went to being Foreman there.
It was a great time, I had the Ford D series V8 and I think there were a couple of Seddon Atkinsons, an old Guy big J 4T and getting into those F86 Volvos after those was like being in a Rolls Royce. :smiley:

They got a fleet of DAF 2100’s then 2800’s once the 2800’s had spent a couple of years on day/night trunk they were handed down to the day drivers, I went on tramping on a 2800 for a good few years on (I can still remember the reg D143 ESF) I did come across the old girl many years later in the Halewood car plant on shunting duties, she still looked in good fettle.

They eventually moved the depot to a old bus depot on Holden rd Leigh then over to the old Burtonwood air base in Warrington when the TDG group were involved.

I’ve lost contact with a lot of the drivers there, sadly a few of them no longer with us. A few names I can still recall are Jeff Catterall, Jimmy Atherton, Dave Barlow, Phil Hankinson, John Denny, Ronny Taylor, Brian Parr, Sid Meredith, Brian Bennion, Metal Mickey & old Bert from Lowton (cant remember his surname) and the others mentioned in this thread.

Sadly I have no pictures of the white & blue Intercity livery but I remember that time fondly.

I’m Ian Gorse and I used to take my black & Tan jack Russell ‘Jenny’ with me in the lorry & she was liked everywhere we went. :slight_smile:

Great posting Ian,
I think you must be even older than me :unamused: and coming down the M74 last night in the rain on a big de-tour to Cairnryan I gave a lot of thought as to why I still do this, even only once a week.

Hello HRS :slight_smile: Thanks, I’ve edited the thread as I’ve remembered some more things/names about my time at Intercity. I’ve more or less retired these days as a chronic back condition brought an end to my HGV driving days and subsequently I failed the HGV medical and lost my class 1 licence.

Thanks Ian.

Hi Ian I worked outta Leigh, early 70s remember most of the Guy"s you Mention, one u don"t, Bernard Ashbrook, e worked theer anaw, I Prob Left b4 u Started theer, good post pal? Cheers Chris.

CJA1:

CJA1:

imperial183:
The driver in the Transcontinental was Jock Kellock. The vehicle was then transferred to the Leigh Depot where it was driven by Harry Clare on the Fords Daventry run during the day. At Night the Ford spares were trunked to ■■■■■■■■■■■ and the vehicle was driven by Ronnie Sheills.

CJA1:
Hi Imperial183" This thread seems to have died a death? U remember the tanker, I think it run for Colgate Parmolive used to tip ordsall Lane? This one. Oh yeh" and I remember Harry Clare, and Ronnie Sheills Cheers Chris1

Still very little activity on this thread, here is an old one by Numbum I think [Scrapbook] 1970 F86 happy days Cheers Chris.

I like the AA badge on the grille,don’t know if the AA patrolmen would provide the driver with a salute though!!

David

CJA1:

lancpudn:

HRS:

lancpudn:

Great posting Ian,

Thanks Ian.

Hi Ian I worked outta Leigh, early 70s remember most of the Guy"s you Mention, one u don"t, Bernard Ashbrook, e worked theer anaw, I Prob Left b4 u Started theer, good post pal? Cheers Chris.

Oh and Dave Barlow Still around, Derek Hill, Big Eric Can"t Remember his surname Had Bad Crash on Winwick Lane, e Died Shortly after? IIRC?

There was an Inter City driver who lived in Milnthorpe in the 50’s and 60’s who was on the Carnation contract running out of Dumfries but he was based at Leigh depot, his name was Willie Ferguson( Scotsman) but unfortunately he died and left a young family. When I bought our second garage the young Girl that worked in the office for the Welding Engineer I bought the property from was going to be out of a job and as I was wanting someone to work in my office I gave her a start at a few more quid a week than she was on and little did I know till after that she was the late Willie’s eldest daughter !! Cheers Bewick.

During my time at Grangemouth(W Alexander & Sons) a regular shift, Bo’ness to Glasgow took me past Inter City many times, have a recollection of going there for a job and when I saw the state of the yard and the motors, I had second thoughts, this would have been in 1958.
Oily

CJA1:

lancpudn:

HRS:

lancpudn:

Great posting Ian,

Thanks Ian.

Hey R’reet Chris, that name rings a bell (Bernard ashbrook) I’m sure when I started he was on the Ford engine warranty job delivering/picking up engines at Fords parts depot in Daventry. That was a nice easy job, down to Daventry with a full flat bed trailer of empties & reload with parts back up to Leigh.

Hi Ian awreet cokka? aye Bernard did that warranty job for a spell, I myself did the Warranty Job, after Derek Hill came off n went on General, used to pick up all over lancs n ■■■■■■■■ finish in Carlisle, then Down To Fords [Warranty] South Ockenden, tip theer then down to Basildon for Tractors, Bernard Still intouch with Phil Hanky n Dave Barlow, Me n Bernard Still go Fishing a fare bit, wer in same Syndicate, saw Derek Hill a good few yrs ago now I wer in the Offie at Texaco Lubs T/Pk, and e came in for a Load, IIRC e wer in a TDG DAF, never seen him Since, Cheers Chris.

Hello Ian, I remember you very well. I am Steve Sharkey and remember all those names and even Jenny, your dog !!!

imperial183:
Hello Ian, I remember you very well. I am Steve Sharkey and remember all those names and even Jenny, your dog !!!

Blimey! Hello Steve :smiley: Good to hear from you after all these years, Tha must be as knock kneed & knackered as me by now LOL :grimacing: I hope you’re well. Are you still in transport management! Hows the golf game these days! :smiley:

Another name I forgot on my initial thread was Tommy Gittins, I wonder what he’s up to these days!.

I run a pub in Crewe now for my sins. Had enough of Transport game after working for P & O Trans European in 2002. Tommy is still living in Croft, but haven’t seen him in years. I am fita nd well, still playing cricket and the odd game of golf.

Went to a rugby reunion in Leigh about 6 months ago. Place has gone downhill I’m afraid.

imperial183:
I run a pub in Crewe now for my sins. Had enough of Transport game after working for P & O Trans European in 2002. Tommy is still living in Croft, but haven’t seen him in years. I am fita nd well, still playing cricket and the odd game of golf.

Went to a rugby reunion in Leigh about 6 months ago. Place has gone downhill I’m afraid.

That’s pretty cool running a pub Steve :sunglasses: I would never have guessed you doing that in a million years. I can well imagine the years in the transport game takes it toll after a long time.

I’m hoping that some more of the old barsteward drivers from that time at Lowton :grimacing: have progressed from troglodytes and are able to switch on a computer & find this site & drag their backsides into the 21st century, I wonder how Mr Bob is :grimacing:

There are other drivers from there that I can see clearly in my head but I cant put a name to them. Intercity (pre TGD days) were fun & a laugh.

I spoke to Albert Schanzl the other week, He’d been for a scan at the hospital & been diagnosed with esophagus cancer. :cry: Not good news, I’ll go up to Standish and see him soon.

I agree about Leigh going downhill though, I go through it regular and It’s a shadow of it’s former self.

I have been to a few funerals over the years of the older drivers. Very sad. Still go up to Wigan by train for a few beers every now and then. I still get asked if I fancy going back into haulage, but there are some shocking Companies out there.

Although Inter City effectively disappeared in 1995. They were not dissolved until 2011, which is strange !!!

The comments under the photos give a few names to mull over.
public.fotki.com/Scottishtruckp … ty-trucks/
public.fotki.com/boballoa/scott … -transpor/
Oily

imperial183:
I have been to a few funerals over the years of the older drivers. Very sad. Still go up to Wigan by train for a few beers every now and then. I still get asked if I fancy going back into haulage, but there are some shocking Companies out there.

Although Inter City effectively disappeared in 1995. They were not dissolved until 2011, which is strange !!!

Yeah I’ve lost touch with all the old drivers from back then, I did go and see Bob Houston shortly before he died, very sad. That is strange about them not being dissolved until 2011 :confused: They ceased to exist for me when Intercity merged with the huge TDG outfit, everything just wasn’t the same after that, Progress I suppose! …and 'orrible green & orange uniforms LOL.

Oily

@Oiltreader Those are great pictures from back in the day, Thanks for the links they bring back good memories. It’s a ‘given’ these days that everybody has the means to take pictures with their smartphone, I only wish I’d taken some pictures back then.

lancpudn:

imperial183:

Yeah I’ve lost touch with all the old drivers from back then, I did go and see Bob Houston shortly before he died, very sad. That is strange about them not being dissolved until 2011 :confused: They ceased to exist for me when Intercity merged with the huge TDG outfit, everything just wasn’t the same after that, Progress I suppose! …and 'orrible green & orange uniforms LOL.

Oily

@Oiltreader Those are great pictures from back in the day, Thanks for the links they bring back good memories. It’s a ‘given’ these days that everybody has the means to take pictures with their smartphone, I only wish I’d taken some pictures back then.

Inter City Leigh.jpg

CJA1:

lancpudn:

imperial183:

Oily

InterCity DAF.jpg

Hi, was looking for info on Intercity because my Dad, Dave Thompson worked for them for 15 years, noticed a few names mentioned that I have heard of but wondered if anyone remembered him. I have happy memories of trunking from Lowton to Tebay twice a night and then it was changed to one trip from Lowton to ■■■■■■■■■■■■ Fun times travelling with a true professional :slight_smile: Never had an accident, and could back a trailer on a nine pence. He drove some old tubs but what good days.

Thanks Ian.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Oh and Dave Barlow Still around, Derek Hill, Big Eric Can"t Remember his surname Had Bad Crash on Winwick Lane, e Died Shortly after? IIRC?
[/quote]
Hi Chris yes Dave Barlow (DB) is still around, I got a telephone call out of the blue from him a few days ago, He’s doing OK but said he was going into hospital for a shoulder surgery shortly, I told him about this Inter-City thread in trucknetuk so I’m hoping he chimes in with some recollections :smiley:

lancpudn:
Thanks Ian.

[/quote]
[/quote]
Hi Chris yes Dave Barlow (DB) is still around, I got a telephone call out of the blue from him a few days ago, He’s doing OK but said he was going into hospital for a shoulder surgery shortly, I told him about this Inter-City thread in trucknetuk so I’m hoping he chimes in with some recollections :smiley:
[/quote]
Sad news of Albert Shanzel passing away yesterday if any of the old Inter-City drivers are reading this forum. :cry: RIP Albert.