"Snowcat" Albion units Forth/Caledondian

Has anyone any shots of these strange looking motors although they were supposed to “futuristic” in their time ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Has anyone any shots of these strange looking motors although they were supposed to “futuristic” in their time ! Cheers Bewick.

I’ve only ever seen one photo of a Snowcat Dennis. I was told that when Caledonian were short of units,Snowcats were pressed into service on a Dumfries/Preston changeover.Lucky driver eh? :laughing:

One or two on this link Dennis, inc. a nice colour one.
Regards. John.

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

I’ve only ever seen one photo of a Snowcat Dennis. I was told that when Caledonian were short of units,Snowcats were pressed into service on a Dumfries/Preston changeover.Lucky driver eh? :laughing:

I just bet if you was on a dodgy Chris you would have dived behind the hedge if you saw one of them Snowcats coming up’t road :wink: But then again beggars couldn’t be choosers eh! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

I just bet if you was on a dodgy Chris you would have dived behind the hedge if you saw one of them Snowcats coming up’t road :wink: But then again beggars couldn’t be choosers eh! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Eyup Dennis,a third class ride is better than a first class walk.I’ve seen drivers hide or turn away when I were in me MK3 Mammoth Major,well sod 'em I used to say.I got a lift in a Sid Harrison 3-axled Scammell Highwayman and had to sit on a beer crate from Tinsley to Derby. :smiley:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Eyup Dennis,a third class ride is better than a first class walk.I’ve seen drivers hide or turn away when I were in me MK3 Mammoth Major,well sod 'em I used to say.I got a lift in a Sid Harrison 3-axled Scammell Highwayman and had to sit on a beer crate from Tinsley to Derby. :smiley:

Spoken like a true Gentleman and a Skolar hic hic ! Cheers Dennis. :wink:

old 67:
forth | Flickr
One or two on this link Dennis, inc. a nice colour one.
Regards. John.

Thanks for the link John ! The best I can make out is some of the Snowcats must have been fitted with 5th wheels but in the main they had Scammell couplings by the look of the many shots. Thanks and Cheers Dennis.

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

I believe this to be true, two “older” drivers I worked with when I went onto the roads depot at Lockerbie in 79 used to tell me stories about these ■■■■"snowcats" and yup over shap in them.

I can recall a fair few of these units based at Road Services Forth at their headquarters in Falkirk , where I think the cabs were manufactured , but where did the name Snowcat come from ?.

aye alexander cabs

,mind I asked Davie J (the blaw)) why were they called that ,and he couldn’t tell me.

I understood that the name “Snowcat” originated at the time because of the similarity to the vehicles that were used in the Antarctic expeditions of the 50’s. I reckon when one was stuck in a snow drift 'atop 'o Shap the similarity would be evident ! Cheers Bewick.