armstrongs??

who was the firm that ran from down the smoke, i think jamaica street, ran brown & cream ergo cabb lynx’s, and looked very well kept! im thinking armstrong, is that right? are they in existance now?

Yup, Chas Armstrong.

They ran Ergo Leylands until they dissolved. Here’s a picture taken from the July 1992 edition of the HEADLIGHT, in which was an article about Chas Armstrong.

marky:
Yup, Chas Armstrong.

They ran Ergo Leylands until they dissolved. Here’s a picture taken from the July 1992 edition of the HEADLIGHT, in which was an article about Chas Armstrong.

Yes, they were our next door neighbours in Old Jamaica Road - they were in the next yard, about 3 arches along! Although Bowker closed down there in 1988, the hole site apparently was cleared for works on the Channel Tunnel rail link. I haven’t been round there for years.

Mind you, I visited Barking Containerbase this week, and that was pretty grim.

those are the ones, chhers for the pic marky! i allways liked that fleet. are they still going does anyone know?

Mal:
those are the ones, chhers for the pic marky! i allways liked that fleet. are they still going does anyone know?

No, they finished in, perhaps, the mid-90s, perhaps when the yard was compulsorily purchased

thats a shame, well theres a lot of old firms gone by the wayside.

christ, and i thought I was as mine of useless information! have to take my hat off to that man marky though :wink:

i’ll be at gaydon (although i only exhibit the 1/87 scale stuff, cheaper, less chance of divorce etc than the 1/1 scale!) we’ll have to have a natter mate :sunglasses:

I might have to go to Gaydon if they have model lorries as well as classic lorries. :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

andy the model show at gaydon is a bigun its far better than the ones you get at truckfest.gaydon is a great day out last time i went it was about a fiver per person and that got ya the vintage truck show access to the car museum and the model show :laughing:

Just looked at the Gaydon Heritage Centre website, I assume the show in question is the “Classic Commercial” on 10-11th of June?

thats the one mate, originally it was held at the bp truckstop crick but it soon outgrew that site and moved to gaydon sunday is the best day as its great just to sit and watch the old motors leave in convoy at the end of the show

I’ll certainly do my best to go I think…funds providing.

this sounds good, are we gonna have a little get together at gaydon then?? :smiley:

Carl:
thats the one mate, originally it was held at the bp truckstop crick but it soon outgrew that site and moved to gaydon sunday is the best day as its great just to sit and watch the old motors leave in convoy at the end of the show

And before that it was held at Wellesbourne, Bruntingthorpe and at George’s at Crick.

Andyroo:
Just looked at the Gaydon Heritage Centre website, I assume the show in question is the “Classic Commercial” on 10-11th of June?

It is!