How good was the first SCANIA turbo?

Good morning,

Can someone comment about the first SCANIA with turbocharged engines (DS 11) running in Europe?
I believe the turbochager was made by a company called ELLIOTT .

When compared with an DN10 or DN11 (without turbo) engines it (DS 11) had a better fuel/oil consumption?
Was more prone to failures?
Really saved trip time?

Thank you Edzio

Edzio,just put scania ds 11 in google, and you will get direct to you tube how good it was i have no idea.dbp.

The first Scania turbo engine in a production lorry chassis was the DS10 in 1961 (or was it 1960? My memory is shot). Very few non-turbo 11 litre Scanias were built. The DS11 was the standard engine; I have never heard of any L76s being fitted with a D11.

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of those who worked with the first DS10s, when that engine was a genuine alternative to the D10. Did the turbo version take over straight away, or was there some reluctance in the market to take up the new technology? Did the DS10 suffer any reliability problems, compared to its naturally-aspirated sister?

Eric?

Hey Anorak,

In the company my Father and I worked for had we 75 Supers, and did did very well even beter as the 11 liter. Same with the non turbo D7 and D8, for us the 7 liter was a very good engine aiganst the D8 which we called it a weakling and even more as it had a turbo.
Here in Belgium and Holland were in the beginning more non turbo’s as DS11’s, even with the 110 lots were non turbo. Of course as LB 110 most were turbo’s. Compare it with today why should we buy a 600+hp as it goes with a 450 ■■ It was still a time as the 200hp was the norm, and the 76 non turbo had 195hp. The 76 turbo’s did very well as 225,255hp, but as 275 it got heating problems and after a few times the engine was very quickly worn out. The 275 pushed us to buy Volvo’s which did very well at that time. Of course as the boss was a powerman, he bought the 140 afterwards, which again had a lot of failtures. Which was normal with after the engine a driveline staight from a 255hp 76, no difference, everything was too weak, but the engines had their failtures too. And so only a few were bought and again came Volvo with it’s F89 which gave excellent service.

Eric,

Hey,
Here you will see even in the late '70’s with the 111, still the non turbo was standard, and the turbo’s DS11 were an option. But with the 111’s you only saw the non turbo as a normal rigid L,LB or 6x2 LBS rigid lorry. Our norm here was than about 260 /280hp, so Scania had changed the turbo engine of 296hp within two years in an 280 and 305 hp version. To had a weapon in the class 260/280 and the 8hp/ton which needed 304hp at least.

Eric,

LB 111.jpg

Eric
How come, according to your spec sheet, the torque (koppel) on both turbo engines (DS1101 & DS 1102) was 1110 Nm, while DS1101 had 280 HP & DS 1102 had 305 HP ?

tiptop495:

Eric,

Thnaks for the info Eric. I am surprised that many 76s and 110s were sold. Even in tight-fisted Britain, I think the vast majority had the 256bhp DIN engine.

I do not recall a 275bhp 110, from what I have read. Was that the SAE figure for the 256bhp engine?

bald:
Eric
How come, according to your spec sheet, the torque (koppel) on both turbo engines (DS1101 & DS 1102) was 1110 Nm, while DS1101 had 280 HP & DS 1102 had 305 HP ?

Hey,

That’s why the engine had a different fuelpump instead of the normal RQV it had an RQV (X) (nearly never used, only MAN put it one type for Euro 1) It was a regulator which was twice to regulate which could let have the engine only more power at the upper rev’s. Was to get the 305hp to meet the 8hp/ton norm, which was at least 304hp.

Eric,

[zb]
anorak:

tiptop495:

Eric,

Thnaks for the info Eric. I am surprised that many 76s and 110s were sold. Even in tight-fisted Britain, I think the vast majority had the 256bhp DIN engine.

I do not recall a 275bhp 110, from what I have read. Was that the SAE figure for the 256bhp engine?

Hey Anorak,

Scania had for the 110 and 111 and even already the 76 different engines as for Europ ( for instance, the DS11 07 for GB which we never have had). But our engine had as DIN 225/255/275 in the 76, but in many brochures given in SMMT Swedish norm as 220/240/260.
Never heart of 256 Din or 275 Sae, our 275 had 283 Sae. Anorak you will find not much brochures of Scania with Sae norms, Later it was given in Din, Basu and Iso norm.
But saw 'and only in English, a technical sheet of the 140 which give 335 SMMT HP.
Eric,

Hey,

If someone is interested in a open picture of such fuelpumpregulater, I will put one here ■■
Even as the DS11 07 specification sheet.

Eric,

tiptop495:
Hey,

If someone is interested in a open picture of such fuelpumpregulater, I will put one here ■■

Eric,

Yes please :wink:

Thank you for the comments.

As far I can see the turbocharger itself was not a issue,not so many troubles.
Any good history related with the first MAN,FIAT/IVECO,VOLVO,MERCEDES,etc in the early 70’s?

Around 1960 MERCEDES had turbochager (EBERSPACHER) version of OM 312 or 321 (indirect injection) but I think they
sould it only in Germany.

Edzio

tiptop495:
Hey,

Eric,

I am also interested

Edzio

Edzio:
Thank you for the comments.

As far I can see the turbocharger itself was not a issue,not so many troubles.
Any good history related with the first MAN,FIAT/IVECO,VOLVO,MERCEDES,etc in the early 70’s?

Around 1960 MERCEDES had turbochager (EBERSPACHER) version of OM 312 or 321 (indirect injection) but I think they
sould it only in Germany.

Edzio

Hey Edzio, Turbo’s on it self were not a problem, but iol was not as today, and most used the wrong oil, and that burned in the turbo and there was no lubricting anymore. And of coure at a time a lot of drivers had to service their trucks on saterday, and if there was to sorts of oil in the yard, for turbo’s en non turbo’s, many put the wrong oil in the turbo’s, not a problem for a non , but for a turbo a disaster.

And yes many had turbo’s in the '50’s, as was it only often on papier. Berliet, Fiat, MAN, ans so many other offered them, a lot of them only in the lower powered engines, as Daf did with a 120 hp to make out of it 165 hp, the same as than the biggest Daf with the 0680 with 165 hp Sae. But for the max weight it was only Volvo which offered a high cub engine with turbo’s from '54 on. Seond was Scania in '61, thereafter it took to the beginning of the '70’s before other came with them as Daf, Büssing and a few other, most other went the way of high volume and V engines to meet the 8hp/ ton legislation.

Eric,

Hey, The reglators RQV and RQV-K.

With normal regulators the higher the rev’s the less fuel, with the RQV-K it was possible to regulate the fuel, so it was possible to give it a bit more or less fuel when de rev’s were gowing up.

Eric,

Hey, The engine we had for the 110 from '68 till end '71 DS11 06A, thereafter came the 296hp Din as DS11 LB02

Eric,

Here the engine for England called the DS11 07 from '68 till and '71 thereafter ■■?

Here the 1967 LB76 Super engine DS11 04 with 275hp din, this brochure is in English text, but don’t know if that engine was for England or it was for the continent, but looks like it was for the UK too as the given powers already are in SMMT.
As it was that way, the 76 had more power as the engine for the 110 in the UK ■■? but looks like.

Eric,

tiptop495:
As it was that way, the 76 had more power as the engine for the 110 in the UK ■■? but looks like.

Eric,

Yes. I thought the 1967 LB76 and LB110 had 256bhp DIN, 250bhp BS141au and it was that simple. I was wrong. The GB version of the engine seems to have been “tuned back” from the European version. Possibly with good reason, given your experience of the 275bhp DIN engine?