Sugar Tankers

Ste46:
Although Henry Tate and Sons and Abraham Lyle and Sons amalgamated in 1921, and Silvertown and Plaistow Wharf refineries were less than a mile apart, when I worked out of there over 30 years ago as far as the staff were concerned Tates was Tates and Lyles was Lyles and ‘never the twain shall meet’!

I understand that although both refineries were sold to American Sugar Refining in 2010, the name of Tate and Lyle has survived and somehow continues to prosper.

A history of T&L called ‘Sugar and all that’ was written in 1978 by Anthony Hugill and makes very interesting reading for those who may be interested in it. I believe it is still available from several sources on t’internet.

Steve

PS - you may get the impression that I enjoyed my ten years there: I did - it was a good, steady job run in the old-fashioned way where the customer was king. I was quite sad when the contract ended.

Surprisingly Henry Tate & Abraham Lyle never meet.
The refinery’s were sold on the understanding that they could only use the name on the products if they continued to make them.
As far as I know now the home market is very small and most refined is going for export (?)
A lot of people are unaware the the Tate Gallery was founded by Henry Tate using his own collection at the time.