British sugar - new

Morning all,

Ive seen a fair amount of British sugar tankers cutting about on the A1 and M1 Recently, it’s not something I’ve noticed before (but I guess if you’re not looking then you won’t see), looking at old threads they’ve said it’s Turners running the contract paying drivers £80 a shift. That’s an insult at best.

So my question is, is turners still running it with that pitiful pay or has it changed hands?

I have a bit of experience with water tankers and quite enjoy it. I’d like to go into tankers if I drive full time, start with foodstuffs then move on to ADR once I’m experienced.

So yeh, apologies for starting ANOTHER sugar tank thread, but wanted a recent viewpoint.

(Oh and I don’t give a ■■■■ about wasps)

I was under the impression that Turners had lost that contract to Abbey. I don’t pay that much attention to them so apologies if I’m wrong.

As for the wages I have no idea.

Did Abbey pay Turners a sweetener? :laughing:
Btw…Whatever happened to Tate and Lyle, are they still around?

robroy:
Btw…Whatever happened to Tate and Lyle, are they still around?

I’m sure that I still see the odd one of theirs around. Problem being I reckon that they are one of them unfashionable companies with great T’s & C’s and wages for their drivers, so it’ll only be a matter of time until the job is farmed out to a third party faceless logistics provider.

From what I can see, Abbey do the tanker bit and Wincanton do the packaging to retailers part for British Sugar. All the tankers seem to be own label going into Newark so not sure who physically owns the trailers.

Tate and Lyle appears to be Harlequin group but they’ll likely be in own group trailers of R Swain & Sons, Prestons of Potto, John Raymond Transport, Jack Richards & Son and Currie European.

From what I know of any of the above, not sure good wages will be top of the cards.

Btw, do remember on tankers that Newark is closing soon so potentially a lot less work on the tanker side. Think their only other site is Bury St Edmonds.

Tate and Lyles tanker transport is done by Turners, previously by Hoyer, dunno about any palletised work.

Juddian:
Tate and Lyles tanker transport is done by Turners, previously by Hoyer, dunno about any palletised work.

Well that’s answered my point! Too late, the damage has already been done! :imp:

Trucking sideways:
Morning all,

Ive seen a fair amount of British sugar tankers cutting about on the A1 and M1 Recently, it’s not something I’ve noticed before (but I guess if you’re not looking then you won’t see), looking at old threads they’ve said it’s Turners running the contract paying drivers £80 a shift. That’s an insult at best.

So my question is, is turners still running it with that pitiful pay or has it changed hands?

I have a bit of experience with water tankers and quite enjoy it. I’d like to go into tankers if I drive full time, start with foodstuffs then move on to ADR once I’m experienced.

So yeh, apologies for starting ANOTHER sugar tank thread, but wanted a recent viewpoint.

(Oh and I don’t give a [zb] about wasps)

Turners hasn’t had the British Sugar contract for about 10 years. They lost the work to Suttons, who after a few years “asked” Abbey to take it over. Abbey still do the contracted work for a certain number of dedicated units and trailers for British Sugar but Turners pick up most of the spot hire work for British Sugar. Some large sugar supply contracts for industrial customers are short term deals, say 6 months, and they are always changing supplier to whoever offers the best prices, so there is always spot hire work to a varying degree. Sugar is traded as a commodity and it’s a complicated business, with sugar brokers involved who source sugar from wherever they can, including Europe. Turners has the Tate & Lyle contract.

Turners sugar drivers are on considerably more than £80 a shift.

gingerfold:

Trucking sideways:
Morning all,

(Oh and I don’t give a [zb] about wasps)

Turners hasn’t had the British Sugar contract for about 10 years. They lost the work to Suttons, who after a few years “asked” Abbey to take it over. Abbey still do the contracted work for a certain number of dedicated units and trailers for British Sugar but Turners pick up most of the spot hire work for British Sugar. Some large sugar supply contracts for industrial customers are short term deals, say 6 months, and they are always changing supplier to whoever offers the best prices, so there is always spot hire work to a varying degree. Sugar is traded as a commodity and it’s a complicated business, with sugar brokers involved who source sugar from wherever they can, including Europe. Turners has the Tate & Lyle contract.

Turners sugar drivers are on considerably more than £80 a shift.

But the transport office at Newark is Wincanton?

We collect Tate and Lyle sugar from stobrats warehouse in Dagenham in bag form on pallets.

trevHCS:
From what I can see, Abbey do the tanker bit and Wincanton do the packaging to retailers part for British Sugar. All the tankers seem to be own label going into Newark so not sure who physically owns the trailers.

Tate and Lyle appears to be Harlequin group but they’ll likely be in own group trailers of R Swain & Sons, Prestons of Potto, John Raymond Transport, Jack Richards & Son and Currie European.

From what I know of any of the above, not sure good wages will be top of the cards.

Btw, do remember on tankers that Newark is closing soon so potentially a lot less work on the tanker side. Think their only other site is Bury St Edmonds.

Newark closing for everything■■? not heard this before, haul beet in there.

Bulk deliveries and palletised deliveries have always been two separate contracts at both British Sugar and Tate & Lyle.

Back in the day when Turners had the British Sugar contract, which ran for many years, the drivers were on top money. Someone had to retire for a vacancy to be notified. And they were in a pension scheme as well, which was a stipulation of the contract. I don’t know if that still applies with Abbey.

The roadworks on the A14 Catthorpe-Huntingdon - are now done with? :question:

Winseer:
The roadworks on the A14 Catthorpe-Huntingdon - are now done with? :question:

That’s a 50mile stretch of road, narrow it down a bit

bigmatt2806:

trevHCS:

Newark closing for everything■■? not heard this before, haul beet in there.

I haven’t heard anything either, i would be very surprised if its true… but i have been wrong many times before

I’m sure there was a British Sugar tanker burned out on the A1 north at Elkesley at lunchtime today.

Tate & Lyle are no longer refining sugar in the UK, they sold their last 2 refinery’s to American Sugar some years back along with the right to use the name on sugar products.
As said all drivers were T.U.P.E’d over to Hoyer around 1999 and then onto Turners that upset many of them as they were hoping for redundancy.