British Pathe on Youtube

I thought some of you Ladies and Gents would find this interesting.
Over 85,000 videos from days of old,it could be an excellent research
tool.

Have at it.
youtube.com/user/britishpathe

For those of you that are hard of interneting heres a few to get you started.

youtube.com/user/britishpat … ry=lorries

WARNING.May contain cheery music and plummy British accents. :laughing:

Found these two 1964 and '65 Motor Show programmes today:
youtube.com/watch?v=EEY2lx5ALxY
youtube.com/watch?v=SWHNFOQrnwQ
The 1965 one seems to be an advert for Austin Morris vehicles, all of which look about 10 years out-of-date, apart from the FJ, which was a handsome beast for the year, IMO.

been viewing that site for some years now, love some of the"chumley warner" style narration… :slight_smile:

What memories that lot bring back. 1965 I passed my driving test.

The test rig for the Austin Gypsy was impressive stuff.

Thanks for posting.
David

David Miller:
What memories that lot bring back. 1965 I passed my driving test.

The test rig for the Austin Gypsy was impressive stuff.

Thanks for posting.
David

Gipsy’s could outclimb the Land Rovers of that period, 1 in 1.7 they were tested at. They were a ‘thorn in the side’ of Rover until BL decided to drop them. We had two where I worked, the long wheelbase versions were pleasent vehicles to drive, the steel bodywork did rust though whereas Land Rover’s just corroded! :laughing:

Pete.

Wow, what a treasure-trove! Thanks for sharing, Anorak. Dipped in a bit. Loved the footage of the Cory Merc 1319 artic with London to Paris 40’ spready tilt! Really brings back the atmosphere of the 70s.

I used to borrow an old Austin Gypsy to take the kids swimming back in the early '80s.

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Wow, what a treasure-trove! Thanks for sharing, Anorak. Dipped in a bit. Loved the footage of the Cory Merc 1319 artic with London to Paris 40’ spready tilt! Really brings back the atmosphere of the 70s.

I used to borrow an old Austin Gypsy to take the kids swimming back in the early '80s.

Robert

I did a bit of research into Austin Gipsies earlier. Seems like they were the same as a Land Rover, but with at least one proper engineer on the design team- proper suspension, for example. I have a bit of a downer on Land Rovers, which has intensified since they attracted a fashionable following. The reason for my negativity is- I occasionally get jobs repairing the chassis of them, and it is a pain in several parts of the body. You can’t get to the top face of the chassis, because the body is in the way, and you can’t get to parts of the body in the vicinity of the chassis, for a similar reason. Repairs to the top of the chassis have to be done leaving a “window” in the bottom or side of the section, then letting a section into the hole afterwards. The “usual” method is to slide the new section over the old, and leave the unseen joint unwelded, but I refuse to do that bodge, which makes LR “experts” think I’m a snob. The owners ■■■■ on about how great the things are, but any comparable vehicle is nicer to drive. I recount the usual waffle about them being designed to use up wartime leftovers- aluminium, draughtsmen etc.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

I did a bit of research into Austin Gipsies earlier. Seems like they were the same as a Land Rover, but with at least one proper engineer on the design team- proper suspension, for example. I have a bit of a downer on Land Rovers, which has intensified since they attracted a fashionable following. The reason for my negativity is- I occasionally get jobs repairing the chassis of them, and it is a pain in several parts of the body. You can’t get to the top face of the chassis, because the body is in the way, and you can’t get to parts of the body in the vicinity of the chassis, for a similar reason. Repairs to the top of the chassis have to be done leaving a “window” in the bottom or side of the section, then letting a section into the hole afterwards. The “usual” method is to slide the new section over the old, and leave the unseen joint unwelded, but I refuse to do that bodge, which makes LR “experts” think I’m a snob. The owners ■■■■ on about how great the things are, but any comparable vehicle is nicer to drive. I recount the usual waffle about them being designed to use up wartime leftovers- aluminium, draughtsmen etc.

True. I’ve had older models of Landies: very capable off-road, and lots of fun to play with; but hopelessly unreliable compared with most of the competition (especially those built during ther British Leyland era). Their Diesel engines were an embarrassment when bits of the map were still pink! At least the wartime leftover aluminium got turned into Birmabrite! Robert