Public Holiday

Just a reminder that Tuesday is a public Holiday in France and that means driving resrictions will be in place.

It`s Armistice Day, which we in the UK remember on the nearest Sunday. France always has this holiday on the 11th.

We have a truck going to Italy, leaving on monday, it has been routed through Germany and Austria to avoid the restrictions.

As an aside, could I ask members to take a few minutes out at 11 AM on the 11th, to remember those who gave everything to preserve the freedom we enjoy today.

Vince

It’s also a public holiday in Belgium on the 11th.

Keith

True Keith but I didn’t mention it as there are no driving restictions. :smiley: I guess no holiday for you on that day?

That’s right,the only bank holiday I 've had off this year was Easter Monday!
Anyway,I’ll be in the emerald isle this week,bit of a change as I’ve never done Ireland.

Keith

I’ll be running up from Calais sometime on Sunday afternoon Keith so I’ll keep an eye out for you and wave like a demented thing if I see you. :smiley:

keith,
you will love ireland, very very friendly, and no rushing!
your average speed will drop, down to about 50 kph :open_mouth:
i really miss it, i used to go twice a week!
if youre sailing irish ferries on the ullysses (spelling?) its the lap of luxury
im jealous as hell! :smiley: :smiley:

paul

Only ever been to Ireland once, to Belfast and it was horrific- I recently told my boss I would walk, rather than go there again, when he tried to send me there.

If you want to know what racial prejudice is like from the victim`s perspective, just do a trip to Belfast.

Having said that, I have heard many times that Eire is nothing like that, and the people are friendly and welcoming like no other people on Earth.

I`m sure that most of Northern Ireland is the same, but my impression of Ireland will always be tainted by the image I remember of being spat at, sworn at, and having bricks thrown at me.

Simply because I happened to fall out of my mother`s womb in Kent!

Have a good trip, mate. Let us know.

Vince

:laughing: Vince your lucky, i fell out in Antrim… but then again as an adopted Essex boy the provinces have to be better than Kent lol

Well,my trip to the emerald isle went pretty well.
Sailed from Holyhead to Dublin on the Stena Adventurer,which is a very nice vessel,and drove Monday evening almost to Galway where I stopped at Mother Hubbards nr. Oranmore (cheers for that Neil).
Tuesday morning I arrived in Galway ready to unload,by this time it was absolutely persistently down with rain.
Craned off the first two refrigeration units and was on my way by 11.15.

Things didn’t quite go according to plan in Castlebar though!
On arrival at the Court House in the town centre I was met with some dismay by the site foreman.A few choice words followed as to how the **** are we supposed to get that off?They had no crane organised and no fork lift big enough!
So after a lot of phone calls I was directed to a local builders merchant who would unload it and take it to the site on the back of a four wheeler.

By this time I am like a drowned rat,absolutely soaked!

And so it was that I found myself heading back to Dublin for the morning ferry.But those roads! :open_mouth: When someone tells you that they are pretty bad,then double it!!

I stopped at another Mother Hubbard’s on the way back to Dublin for a meal,the Truckers Special will set you back €13.50 and you get soup of the day,steak and chips,dessert,pot of tea or coffee and a soft drink,and very nice it was too.

If another trip to the emerald isle comes up,I’ll be hiding around the corner! Give me Sweden anyday. :wink:

Keith

KW:
drove Monday evening almost to Galway where I stopped at Mother Hubbards nr. Oranmore (cheers for that Neil).

I thought that would be a useful stop for you, use it myself when we go to Galway. The one you stopped in on the way back is a very famous Mother Hubbards, there are even songs that mention it or have been written about it.

"Coffeeholic:
The one you stopped in on the way back is a very famous Mother Hubbards, there are even songs that mention it or have been written about it.

yeah, you’re probably thinking of “welcome to the cabaret” by christy moore, a cracking tune alright - and you can’t fault lyrics like;

well you’re welcome, welcome everyone
special branch on the run
fina gael, fina fail or sinn fein
well when the elections are all over
we’ll all be pushing up clover
i say now everybody in the graveyard votes the same