MAN TGA - Good and Bad Points please

Could anyone who has driven a Man TGA reg 03 onwards
please give me the bullet points - good and bad.
:question: Many thanks

We have 6 of them 5 of which are 03 models but 6x4 with extended chassis and rated at 80tonnes, but the cab seems to be the same as other models. I rate them as a good truck to drive, but I don’t have nights out and don’t have the same truck each day or even for each job.
We have the manual box with comfort shift and thats excellent. Gear shift is smooth, all controls seem well placed and build quality seems good. Loads of storage and cab space. massive lockers on both side and the passenger side can be accssed from outside and inside, seat is really comfortable, with high back and built in seat belts.
The only points against it are, the drivers door panel falls off, (to many drivers slamming the door doesn’t help) the locker catches brakes (agian maybe because of to many drivers) you can’t tell if you have turned the heated mirrors on during daylight hours. The radio doesn’t work without the ignition on, but this maybe because they are built to a differant spec. The bunk seems quite thin compared to Daf, Volvos etc. Engine hump isn’t carpeted just has a mat.

Overall I think its a good truck, but is better suited to one driver operation.

we have 2xM.A.N tga 26 410,reg is 53 plate.

good points…comfi shift gear changer,( excellent system)
control’s are at hand
seat’s are ok
remote control mirrors and window’s,all work of driver’s
door,also heated mirror’s work off driver’s door
radio operate’s without ignition
fridge
nite heater at side of drivers seat
interior lights half red,half white
manual sunroof
central locking,but when you unlock drivers door,the
passenger door remains locked ( security thing )

bad points…no dip stick to check oil,all computerised from in cab
no sun visor on drivers door ( optional extra cost for fitting
£100)
can’t tell if heated mirror’s are on ( unless place hand over
it.)
to change headlight bulb cab has to be tilted to gain
proper access,as the access point ain’t big enough to get
into it.
in cab fire ext is under the bunk
not enough storage space in cab
alarm goes off every time you don’t put clutch to floor on
gear change.

over all it is a smooth truck to drive, once you get used to it.also forgot to add a major fault,THE DOORS TEND TO FALL OFF OR BECOME VERY LOOSE,it’s a fault with the bolts are not strong enough.

They are one of my favourite modern trucks. Some of the points already made are valid. Door panels falling off and fridge lid getting broken, more like driver abuse than a fault though.

The curtains dont quite reach right round the cab, which is crap sleeping during the day.

The older twin steers seem to have a wandering second axle, but may be just ours running light on 6 axles

weve got one on rental at the co-op and i love it. both door panels have fallen off :laughing: .i dont know if the seats faulty but it doesnt seem to firm up enough for me, ive got the lever/dial/whatever you want to call it! pushed right forward and i still end up pogoing down the road. the gearbox/gearshift is one of the best ideas ive seen in a truck.

JONBOY@RH:
weve got one on rental at the co-op and i love it. both door panels have fallen off :laughing: .i dont know if the seats faulty but it doesnt seem to firm up enough for me, ive got the lever/dial/whatever you want to call it! pushed right forward and i still end up pogoing down the road. the gearbox/gearshift is one of the best ideas ive seen in a truck.

jb there should be a button at the side of the seat,if you depress it this should stop it bouncing,if not then put on about 10 stone that should help :laughing:

Had a rental one the other week. Thought the gear box was a bit crud. Although being a hire it has probably been shafted all it’s life. Other than that - pretty good.
Flat floor in the cab is a nice change for those of us over 6 feet tall.

Oh, and for next time - how do you switch on the fridge?

And the door panels fall off!! :laughing:

Oh, and for next time - how do you switch on the fridge

in the book it says there should be a switch at the drivers seat,but it ain’t there,maybe it’s just meant to be used as a cool box,don’t know must remember to ask 'm.a.n NEXT TIME IT’S OF THE ROAD.WHICH SHOULDN’T BE TOO LONG BY MY TRUCKS HISTORY. :wink:

kitkat if i put on ten stone i wouldnt be able to climb the steps :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

interestingly, I collected a MAN TGA to deliver to TNT, and asked the sales bod where the comfort shift button had gone to…

‘TNT have asked for it to be disabled as their drivers go through clutches like no tomorrow using the comfort shift, as they try to use it as a racing device’ :open_mouth:

Other than that, I have driven a good half a dozen lately. Comfy, nice stereo. The xxl has electric sun visors. as above you cant see if the heated mirrors switch is on. Apes tend to rip the 3 toggle switches off for the adjustable back plates on the side of the seat.

Bunk is comfy too.

tnt drivers had problems with the comfy shift because that they try and press the clutch in and press the button at the same time.it don’t work like that :blush:

TNT have just won an award for being the best Transport Company. sponsored by TNT for some reason :stuck_out_tongue:

There is nowt wrong with the comfort shift, its brilliant. and the door panels only need a couple of self tappers.

MAN TGA, yip its good :stuck_out_tongue:

kitkat:
Oh, and for next time - how do you switch on the fridge

in the book it says there should be a switch at the drivers seat,but it ain’t there,maybe it’s just meant to be used as a cool box,don’t know must remember to ask 'm.a.n NEXT TIME IT’S OF THE ROAD.WHICH SHOULDN’T BE TOO LONG BY MY TRUCKS HISTORY. :wink:

The few I’ve driven had the ‘box’. I spect its only a fridge when the truck has air-con, if it hasn’t, its not.
Don’t like them, awkward power points, no storage inside, cheap and nasty dash and mickey mouse instruments, and computer controls slow, awkward and painful. And seat and steering wheel don’t adjust enough.

Dafmad wrote:

Don’t like them, awkward power points, no storage inside, cheap and nasty dash and mickey mouse instruments, and computer controls slow, awkward and painful. And seat and steering wheel don’t adjust enough.

Your signature suggests you may be biased :laughing:

I suppose I could be Manmad but that would be taken in a slightly different way :stuck_out_tongue:

Its always a personal choice. I have had Dafs for years too and can’t fault them either :exclamation:

Your right of course Malc. But if the MAN was any good, I would gladly say so.
I used to think DAF’s (especially CF’s) were cheap and nasty, until they did a major upgrade to the interior design in about 2000. What a difference, it certainly changed my mind about them. Went straight to the top of my list.
MAN on the other hand have still got a big lesson to learn on how to design the interior of their cab. :smiling_imp:

I was always a daf man. I drove and owned 2800 3300 and 3600 but didnt particular like the 95. I visited Tipcon and they had the new MAN on a stand and I thought then it would be a good truck.

Again I have had 281, 321 362 402 and 403 Roadhaus and now drive a TGA so I do like the Man too :wink:

I wouldnt turn down an XF though now

cheap tatty plastic…nuff said… :wink:
(in my opinion) :wink: