MAN TRUCK TGA

hii. can any one advise about the reliability, fuel economy, spare’s availability and durability of man tga tractor unit 6 by 2. and which models are better than others. all expert and driver opinoin will highly be appreciated. Are they good truck as benz actros.

Had over 50 new TGA/TGX XXL’s new in the last 5 years.
Great truck, very reliable (all mine on contract maintenance though), and the dogs
nuts on fuel.
However, my feeling in that you’ve had the very best out of them by the time they have
done 500000 km and then they should be left alone. From what I can make out the parts
prices are frightening. One driver smashed the two mirrors on one side and they were
over 500 quid to replace.
Best to buy what parts you can from Imex and leave MAN dealers alone, this has been
my policy for body panels/bumpers/mirrors anyway - a little over half price!
They seem very cheap over 3 years old or so - reflecting potential trouble and
expense?
Some awful dealers - I have found MV Maidstone very good, and I’m told the Nuneaton
dealer is good

PM me should you need any pointers.

K

I had the TGA model in '01. They where a big dissapointment back then,giving alot of random trouble. Still not keen on them TBH but,some on here that have more recent model’s are so…my advice is stay away from the early model’s.
The Merc is alot like the MAN in it’s design but i always felt the Mercedes had more thought/investment put in. Even the Axor.

Got a 6 month old TGS 8 wheeler same mechanics as a TGA shes crap on fuel ,the manual change is awful and the back up is awful [Aquila]

DOC_DRE04:
hii. can any one advise about the reliability, fuel economy, spare’s availability and durability of man tga tractor unit 6 by 2. and which models are better than others. all expert and driver opinoin will highly be appreciated. Are they good truck as benz actros.

I ran side by side with a 510 TGA 6 x 2 on a 53 plate for around a year in that time it had 2 compressor heads & you could’nt keep the thing in brakes, I drove it a few times & thought it an absolute pile of ■■■■ in comparison to my FH 12, the dealer nearest to us never seem to have anything in stock & recently another TGA rigid is parked up awaiting a new gear knob which they reckon will take a week, the XXL cab rolls about like an old Transcon & I personally would’nt go for the paper in 1, The thing used to drink fuel too but in fairness it was always nailed with a semi low loader behind it which never helps. I can’t comment on the Actros as I’ve never had anything to do with them.

Fly Sheet

Thanks all for your views and point. Based on that i should keep away from it. Thanks alot again

and there to expensive now for what they are

I have heard a few times they are rubbish on fuel. They are also cheap and nasty, very poor build quality. Glad to see others have said similar.

M.A.N = MEAN AND NASTY doesnt it :smiley: :smiley:

good on fuel :■■■■ poor reliability .nicknamed the german bedford. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I used to like the one I had. XXL 460, pulled like a train and was roomy inside, nice to drive and comfy tramping and looked the part in silver. Used to have problems with starter motors/alternators though.

Why do the starter motors always sound like they are stuck in ?

had the low cab 410 one for a short while comfy driving position bunk spot on wooly handling on the motorway it was replaced by a stralis and it made the man i had mpg look very poor but the big cab man is massive inside if you are tramping in it should imagine with em if you can find a clean late low mileage one grab it other than that walk away

i have driven a few of the earlier TGA’s, very poor build quality, about on a par with Iveco :open_mouth:

the buttons on the seat fall off, other switches fall off.

one i had, the door would not close, what happens there is, the links inside the door stick, to release it, you have to keep playing with the handle that you last opened it with :angry:

very poor

on par with the stralis poor build quality no no man good stralis from a drivers point of view alot lot better

horses for courses i think i run 7 tgas yes they have there problems dont all trucks personally the most realiable trucks i have ever run.wouldnt have any dafs anymore seemed to have to replace different air valves every week and crap afer service also had mercs no end of electrical problems volvos dont get me started on them scanias on a par with the mans irun but just to expensive to buy.give em a go go you might like em

Jesus. thanks to Sportmonkey. Thought I was the only MAN fan on here. Better the devil, and all that.

Leemat, I had four Stralises on hire for a year, you don’t do MAN’s justice by saying they are alike.

Those Stralises are one pile of [zb], if I had owned them I would be skint by now - ended up being given an extra one to cover for continued downtime.

MAN TGX XXL - smartest truck on the road also - close second DAF 105 SSC I think.

Thats my humble opinion anyway!

K

I like MAN and my company seem to like them too, they have replaced the original 2900 units with another batch of 3000 after comparison testing several other makes.

I don’t doubt price and supply also came into the equation, but the job cannot stand a lot of truck failures, we normally operate a one man, one truck operation which probably helps.

I have driven MAN trucks since 1989 with a couple of Volvo and a Renault thrown in the mix

no experience of the new ones yet but had good experience
of a man 232 with column change and a roadhaus 460.
glad to hear some people still like them.

sportmonkey:
horses for courses i think i run 7 tgas yes they have there problems dont all trucks

There is no perfect truck,your right there! No matter if it’s Iveco or Man or any of the rest as long as the driver like’s/want’s that particular brand and is happy with it the truck will give the best service possible. The biggest mistake a haulier can make is to force an anwanted marque on a driver just because they like them.