this ad-blue

one day last week i put 36 lts in, another 24 lts, the tanks wernt full when i left granted, but surely its just another unnessasary expense , i was under the impression trucks all did about the same m.p.g so one that uses ad-blue must cost more to run, surely.
and with this fixation on better m.p.g at all cost , cant see why firms would buy trucks that use ad-blue

I think Ad-Blue reduces the harmful emissions of the engine rather than giving better fuel economy. :wink:

Its one of the biggest cons going Ady, it’s very production/storage and transport use more emmissions than it saves.

gotta admit its a great advert to buy Scania or M.A.N though poxy stuff, and whats with the magnetic coil on the filler hole all about, have you ever tried filling up a can to carry as a spare :imp:

yet another cost for the haulier.
i’d like too know what its true benefit is too the enviroment.
also finding on your travels isn’t always easy.
think our boss is considering a move away from daf, if the other option is more cost effective■■?
is the other option sgr, or something■■?
how does that work, as opposed the ad-blue additive?

Think ad blue is SCR and without it is EGR. MAN and Scanias dont have adblue and they are EGR. but Scanias do on the V8s. Think EGR stands for exhaust gas recircuation, not sure about SCR though

chilistrucker:
is the other option sgr, or something■■?
how does that work, as opposed the ad-blue additive?

You just put diesel in like we do now and thats it, no unessecary ‘extras’ to put in.

Save your ■■■■ and put that in. Good recycling. :smiley: :laughing:

EGR and SCR are two methods used to reduce the NxOy (Nitrogen Oxides) emissions, to meet the Euro emissions regs.

SCR uses urea solution (sold under the brand name of “AdBlue”) in a catalytic converter.

EGR uses a different method, which doesn’t require the urea solution, but I’ve read that it gives slightly worse fuel economy than SCR.

EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation and that gradually gunges up your intake system leading to more emissions and less economy too, eventually, as well as poor running and power loss.

DAFMAD:
EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation and that gradually gunges up your intake system leading to more emissions and less economy too, eventually, as well as poor running and power loss.

What is ‘more emissions’ ? It can’t go so high that the vehicle cannot pass an emissions test surely?

DAFMAD:

Are you sure about that?, as Volvo who were pushing the SCR option using Adblue, now offer the 13 litre engine with EGR i.e. no Adblue as an option.
No doubt they will have tested it thoroughly before they released it, so that it doesn’t lose power and increase fuel consumption over time and damage their image. :confused:

simple cost savings with adblue…dont put it in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: there’s no law or jurisdiction that you must use it…and it wont hurt the engine if you dont put in

DAFMAD:

Are you sure about that?, as Volvo who were pushing the SCR option using Adblue, now offer the 13 litre engine with EGR i.e. no Adblue as an option.
No doubt they will have tested it thoroughly before they released it, so that it doesn’t lose power and increase fuel consumption over time and damage their image. :confused:

so that it doesn’t lose power and increase fuel consumption over time and damage their image.

how can adblue contribute to the lose of power from the engine :question:

OLT:
simle cost savings with adblue…dont put it in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: there’s no law or jurisdiction that you must use it…and it wont hurt the engine if you dont put in

and dont some engine run at lower power output if the tank is empty

jayeastanglia:

OLT:
simle cost savings with adblue…dont put it in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: there’s no law or jurisdiction that you must use it…and it wont hurt the engine if you dont put in

and dont some engine run at lower power output if the tank is empty

that i dont now,but i would think very unlikley,what would happen if you where 100 miles from the nearest adblue tank?..bosses would not like that at all…

All Adblue engines go onto emergency reduced power mode if out of AdBlue. This is to keep their emissions at the same level, it is required to qualify for the Euro 5 discount RFL.

The Volvo EGR engines have lower power and torque outputs than SGR units.

Somebody said about putting carrying AdBlue in a metal can, this is a REALLY BAD idea. AdBlue is extremely corrosive and will be through in a matter of a few weeks. If you notice all AdBlue tanks on trucks are plastic, and with good reason.

howatsi:

DAFMAD:

That’s the bit they don’t tell you. They’d have to test it for quite some time, say couple of hundred thousand kms and or couple of years use. .

The truck will go into “limp home” mode if you run out of ad-blue. On my Actros a tank of it lasts a lot longer than a full fuel tank and we only fuel up in the yard so not a problem till the boss forgets to order ad-blue and you run out :astonished:

It is filthy stuff - our pump is not yet working and having to fill it up from a conatiner means it gets all over your boots and legs (the tank blows back a lot). The deposits it leaves on everything are a pain too.

Don’t know if it does anything to the engine output at all, but my new Actros with ad-blue has nowhere near the power or fuel consumption of the older non ad-blue ones.

I have heard that a few places are now selling it on the forecourt, but where and at what price I don’t know. I also heard that some Irish drivers were seen filling the tank with water - I don’t know if this would work or not :laughing: