New DAF's + Adblue

:confused: Anyone running the latest DAF XF’s which need the Adblue ? How are you getting on with it / them ? And is it true you can run them without the Adblue and all that happens is you drop down on power a little ? :question:

:smiley:

DAFMAD:
and all that happens is you drop down on power a little ? :question:

. . . . and up on emmissions to Euro 1 level alledgedly! :wink:

:confused: I read about it in T&D but can’t find that copy, must have binned it.

Anyway, just done another search and found some info Here

I read this week (in MT I think - may have been CM) that the Euro 4 DAFs run by one haulier, which are part of an economy test between manufacturers, keep on breaking down.

Hope they get it sorted out!

I can see many manufacturers losing sales by going down the SCR road.

It’s just another complication. Many drivers can’t be bothered to check / add the oil, or to put diesel in the trucks at our place. I can’t wait till we get our new FM Euro 4s and 5s - it’s gonna be hilarious!!

:cry: I am also beginning to think this Adblue lark is a mistake too. It appears some firms are put off buying new DAF’s because of it. :imp:

Come on DAF sort yourselves out, pronto. :bulb:

Each manufacturer should give customers the choice of both egr and scr then they wouldn’t drop sales on the issue. See man or scania. Even if scr is better than egr, I couldn’t be bothered with the extra hastle of ad blue.

There are a few urban myths doing the rounds but this is the situation regarding SCR Euro-4/5 drivelines with AdBlue; currently Euro-4/5 engines are running at Euro-2 emission standards. If you run out of AdBlue, and get caught by VOSA, then you will get hit with a prohibition.
There is some confusion here as the AdBlue tank won’t completely empty as it requires 15% of the tank to keep its pipes to the exhaust lubricated and cool, so empty is defined as not adding sufficient AdBlue to maintain Euro-4/5 emission levels.
When the on-board diagnostics are fitted from October 2008 (not 100% sure of date) when you run out of AdBlue there will be a power-drain. It only kicks in when you have stopped and turned off the engine, a health and safety feature.

This whole Adblue/Euro4/SCR thing is a complete mess to me,as I need a PTO and also need large tanks on a 6x2 for diesel, the idea that I also have to add a tank for this Adblue and find someone who sells it is alot of hassle :angry: .
If I was in the market for a new truck I would really be forced to go the EGR route which would limit my choice down to MAN/Scania or even Hino :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused: .

I had a Euro 4 Merc 2546 with Ad-Blue out the other week on demo. I’m not sure of the exact mileage for the week, but it was between 2,500 and 3,000 km. With the standard Ad-Blue tank full when I started the week and not topped up at all during it. I got back to the yard with about 1/4 of a tank.
(I left the UK with an almost empty fuel tank and put about 1000 litres of fuel into it during the week).
On that basis, you shouldn’t have too much trouble keeping enough Ad-Blue in the tank.
Running a PTO will obviously knock the range down, but you can get it in 5l containers to carry around as needed, I believe.
Also clearly, as the demand for Ad-Blue increases, it’ll become more widely available.

look atthe useful links site asthere is a link
for the ad-blue site on this site is also a locator
and you should also be able to get a book just
like the one when useing fuel-credit cards,

by the way just a tip if you use the german maut
and have one of these engines which use AD-blue
do not run without it as the will do you for illegal
use when running without ad-blue as your OBU
will be programmened as euro–4–5,and with out
ad-blue you do not conform to the above,
that is if they catch you,

Simon:
I had a Euro 4 Merc 2546 with Ad-Blue out the other week on demo. I’m not sure of the exact mileage for the week, but it was between 2,500 and 3,000 km. With the standard Ad-Blue tank full when I started the week and not topped up at all during it. I got back to the yard with about 1/4 of a tank.
(I left the UK with an almost empty fuel tank and put about 1000 litres of fuel into it during the week).
On that basis, you shouldn’t have too much trouble keeping enough Ad-Blue in the tank.
Running a PTO will obviously knock the range down, but you can get it in 5l containers to carry around as needed, I believe.
Also clearly, as the demand for Ad-Blue increases, it’ll become more widely available.

Simon,
I’m just looking at it this way:
You and me both pull into a truckstop for diesel,I’m in a new EGR MAN and you are in your new SCR Merc,we both want 1000L of juice.Now it happens to be the middle of winter and its chucking it down,I stick the hose in the tank and get in the cab to keep dry,you on the other hand have to also stick in the adblue hose or get into your outside locker and get your 5L bottle of ADblue out(which has probably leaked all over the locker because the lid wasn’t on right) and start to pour it into the Adblue tank :exclamation: :exclamation: Then you also have the added expense of paying what say 50ppl for the Adblue :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:
I am also not convinced that your SCR Merc will do anymore MPG than my EGR MAN,maybe this CM mega roadtest will prove me wrong but until then I’m in the EGR camp if only for a handier life :wink: .

you can get ad-blue at the pump as well just
look at the locator in the site.

try this site,ARGUS AdBlue® and DEF | Argus Media

I did read that “all AS24 sites” have Ad Blue available. :wink:

big truck,would it not be your driver filling at the pumps?might be wrong but thought i spotted a different pilot in the foden recently.must be money in this o/d lark . :wink:

glenman:
big truck,would it not be your driver filling at the pumps?might be wrong but thought i spotted a different pilot in the foden recently.must be money in this o/d lark . :wink:

Aye,
started my first full time driver last Monday and so far so good, I,m going to be harvesting Maize for the next couple of months with an Agri contractor friend and then we’ll see how things pan out.
You must see me hauling up the N’ards road/Sydnam bypass taking the stone from Comber quarry to the docks :question:

spotted the driver going past stormont one day,and flashed the lights a few times or beeped when you were driving over the last year or so. remember you parked on the m3 bridge one day,flat tyre maybe,and down banbridge way,mallusk etc.

This whole Ad-blue carry on would be extremely laughable except for the fact that it’s real. What is the world coming to when todays technology cannot make an engine good enough to meet Euro 4/5 emission levels without having to stick the truck equivalent of STP or Wynn’s in the tank every other fill?

It’s a recipe for disaster. I can foresee Euro 4/5 trucks running about with empty Ad-Blue tanks in years to come simply because the driver couldn’t be arsed, and I don’t blame them 'cos I’d probably do the same as well.

Simon:

Thats sounds pretty good Simon.

Anyone ruuning an Ad-Blue DAF getting better or worse - do tell. :smiley: :question:

Sorry it’s been so long, but I know a bit more now.

Ad-Blue is injected into the system, wherever they inject it, at a set rate of 4%, against fuel.
I’ve been driving that Merc demonstrator for the last 3 weeks again. It’s now got 40,000 on the clock. I’ve been averaging 31 - 32 L/100 km, over just under 3,000km in a 5 day week, at 30 - 40T gross. Fuel milage is what the onboard computer claims.
The Merc has got a 40L cow-pee tank. When I left on Sunday it was full to the brim. When I got back to the yard yesterday there were 7 litres left and I’d covered 2878 km. So a tank of cow-pee should last an average week, a 45l tank would last a higher than average week, I would think.

so is this ad blue giving better mileage to the gallon or worse ? just curious as the one ive ordered is on the ad blue system