New DAF's + Adblue

The ad blue does not seem to affect fuel consumption it seems.

We are currently averaging 9.5 to 10 mpg on our XF 105 460`s and they are still tight engines having covered approx only 35-40,000 kms so far.

Ad Blue usage seems to average between 4 & 6 % against fuel usage.

I bought four of these trucks in October last year and up until now i am more than happy with them.

Suffice to say that i have just ordered another 3 to replace 1 2002 480 XF SSC
& 2 2004 480 SSC.These should be delivered in week 17.

I think that at least one of the mags T&d or Trucking (can you mention that on here ■■ :laughing: :laughing: ) did an availability test on ad blue and basically it was pretty crap. If it’s in your book that doesn’t seem to meen that they’ve got it.

We had a Volvo on demo for 3 months. It ran out after 1 week and despite asking every week for ad blue from the dealer, it never appeared. It seems an expensive extra compared to EGR.

The point about chassis space is an issue, as there was barely enough room on the Actros I had (Euro 2) for blowing gear (no space for tipping too) without an extra tank to fit for ad blue.

Big Truck:
This whole Adblue/Euro4/SCR thing is a complete mess to me,as I need a PTO and also need large tanks on a 6x2 for diesel, the idea that I also have to add a tank for this Adblue and find someone who sells it is alot of hassle :angry: .
If I was in the market for a new truck I would really be forced to go the EGR route which would limit my choice down to MAN/Scania or even Hino :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused: .

I was playing in our workshops this week and saw 3 new FH400 being prepped.
We have the PTO, Wet pack, a gearbox mounted heating pump, 3 phase electric motor driving hydraulics and a large sterile box for fittings and clothing. Now we have an Adblue tank as well. The fitter was pulling his hair out :open_mouth:

My biggest concern was where Volvo have fitted the batteries behind the 5th wheel between the chassis rails. Several older trucks already have a redesigned crossmember where drivers have pulled out from trailers without lowering the suspension.

porkifer:
so is this ad blue giving better mileage to the gallon or worse ? just curious as the one ive ordered is on the ad blue system

I don’t know for sure, but I’d think AdBlue could give even better fuel figures than Euro 3 motors. With AdBlue exhaust emission control is done pretty much in exhaust pipes whereas in Euro 3 engines entire combustion process had to be clean. I read somewhere that in Euro 4 engines with AdBlue only Euro 2 level combustion process is needed and after those fumes have gone through SCR catalyst they are on required Euro 4 level. To me that Euro 2 -part hints for better fuel figures, but I’ve got no source to prove me right or wrong.