MAN and Ad Blue

Dont know if its just a reflection on my local dealer or MAN trucks in general but my SCR/Ad Blue equipped TGX hasn’t functioned since August just after its 1st MOT and its been into the local dealer about 3 times since then. In fact in the time we’ve had its not worked far longer than it has. Now here’s the plus point, and I know some of you will already have thought about this, but throughout this whole time the truck hasn’t reduced its engine output! :slight_smile: It seems that this is contrary to what its meant to do being a Euro 5 motor and having previously had a Scania R500 which did reduce its engine output which was drastic and noticeable when it had Ad Blue issues. Now I’m not sure what the long term issues might be for the exhaust/emissions system but judging by the dealers attempts or lack of them to rectify the situation I’d conclude not any, and it leads on to the question one might ask “what’s the bloody point of it??”, when the truck is driving as good now as when new, gaffer saving a few bob on Ad Blue costs, dealer not taking as a major issue and I don’t have to keep filling the tank up!! Anyone with an Ad Blue equipped MAN take note

Have you considered that it has ALWAYS had this problem from new, and is in fact working at low power all the time? :laughing:

A friend of mine back in England drives a DAF105 XF and a few months after getting the truck decided to see what would happen when it ran out of ad-blue. Absolutely nothing happened and he hasn’t put any in since for the past year and a half and its still going strong.

Somebody told me when adblue was first introduced you could run it on water because there was no nox-sensor. dafs are murder get ‘‘exhaust system warning’’ every 6 months or so need to take it in to get the filter cleaned another money making scam.

I’m not a mechanic but I’m sure ad blue is only there to treat the exhaust gases it’s not essential to the engine like say oil.
So I presume the ecu must tell the engine to reduce power rather than the engine doesn’t work properly without it.

hipsway:
but throughout this whole time the truck hasn’t reduced its engine output! :slight_smile: It seems that this is contrary to what its meant to do being a Euro 5 motor and having previously had a Scania R500 which did reduce its engine output which was drastic and noticeable when it had Ad Blue issues.

kr79:
I’m not a mechanic but I’m sure ad blue is only there to treat the exhaust gases it’s not essential to the engine like say oil.
So I presume the ecu must tell the engine to reduce power rather than the engine doesn’t work properly without it.

Add blue hs absolutly no effect on the engine power
add blue is injected into the cat convertor so you could put water or pizzz in it but it wont effect the engine or fuel line what so ever

Adblue is not for the engine, its the exhaust.

My old work:

I’ve ran out of ad-blue…

Boss: ■■■■ in the tank…

stagedriver:
I’ve ran out of ad-blue…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Adblue seems to have been a passing fad, the new motors haven’t got adblue tanks anymore. The MAN TGX which I have had since delivery this last week hasn’t got AdBlue !!! AdBlue makers will be cheesed off !

Weve got 3 Mans all 8ws oldest is 08 reg and is Euro5 without Adblue. Yet before our 61plates went on the road we bought Daf CFs that need it. The lorries where Im based hsve to get a load near head office when they need adpoo, thankfully Im Euro3 :sunglasses:

Kerbdog:

stagedriver:
I’ve ran out of ad-blue…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Adblue seems to have been a passing fad, the new motors haven’t got adblue tanks anymore. The MAN TGX which I have had since delivery this last week hasn’t got AdBlue !!! AdBlue makers will be cheesed off !

I’ll let you into a little secret ducky :wink:
To meat to new emisions levels the new Euro 6 trucks need to have add blue as well as EGR

Ah, but the EU will probably have collapsed out of sight by then (hopefully)

Kerbdog:

fingers crossed
but we know it will never happen just like if stobart went pop
while it is being ran by a bunch of unelected crocks that make money out of you the hard working tax payer
they will never allow them selfs to be out of a job

SCR engines built after October 2007 have a NOX sensor on the exhaust,if the reading is high they go into limp mode. EGR engine’s will also go into limp mode if the reading is high.
MAN 440 or lower does not need adblue.

ellies dad:
SCR engines built after October 2007 have a NOX sensor on the exhaust,if the reading is high they go into limp mode. EGR engine’s will also go into limp mode if the reading is high.

In theory yes. But the amount of trucks that can run on empty adblue tanks with no consequences suggests that this sensor often does not work. I’ve indeed heared from friends that their trucks do go in to limp mode, but just as often, they do not on other trucks. Friend of mine has been driving his 105XF for nearly two years now with no adblue. Cant remember the reg but its newer than 2007.

mcgregors shafter:

Kerbdog:

fingers crossed
but we know it will never happen just like if stobart went pop
while it is being ran by a bunch of unelected crocks that make money out of you the hard working tax payer
they will never allow them selfs to be out of a job

I’m not sure the Stobart directors are that bad :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

(In light of the response to Jeremy Clarkson’s comments I apologise in advance for any offence caused - I’m only thinking of the children)

TC

ellies dad:
MAN 440 or lower does not need adblue.

Yes mines supposed to do that but its not doing it, I reckon its got something to do with the engine management system, its had a flashing yellow engine light on for ages now and a message displayed saying emission control system fault after driving for 10mins or so. Its just seems to be the dealers lack of doing anything after all it is “excessively polluting”. I say excessive but its hardly chucking out huge plums of black smoke, I’ve seen smoker buses and black cabs, but the point is its SCR equipped for a reason.

Another note started seeing MAN 440 with Ad Blue fitted, think this is going to be the requirement to meet Euro 6…

Anyone know how much adblue should be used on new TGX 440. I have done 2 trips to Venice and over the first 5000km averaged 10mpg but used 90lts of adblue. Each trip the truck hasn’t exceeded 20 tons gross. The adblue tank only holds 25lts which is far too small, MAN Avonmouth say this is the only tank available and have taken the adblue info from the truck computer and are sending it to Germany, they don’t know what the consumption ratio to fuel should be. Any answer :frowning:

Geoff moxham:
Anyone know how much adblue should be used on new TGX 440. I have done 2 trips to Venice and over the first 5000km averaged 10mpg but used 90lts of adblue. Each trip the truck hasn’t exceeded 20 tons gross. The adblue tank only holds 25lts which is far too small, MAN Avonmouth say this is the only tank available and have taken the adblue info from the truck computer and are sending it to Germany, they don’t know what the consumption ratio to fuel should be. Any answer :frowning:

We drive these motors all the time, an average day for me would be about 80 litres of diesel with 5 litres of ad blue. Wednesday was 127 litres and 9 lts of ad blue, so that’s approx 7% - 8% at a guess, hope that helps but just remembered we have the bigger 480 engines.

Thanks Bald Bloke, Thats about same consumption as mine, compared to DAF 105 or Volvo that’s about double. What size is your adblue tank. My unit is a 6x2 but would still support a larger tank. Be interested to read road test if press have done one, bet MAN would come up with some answers.

The ad blue tanks are small about 20 litres maybe, they are designed allegedly to be used at the same consumption as diesel, what i mean by that is if you use half a tank of diesel you should use about half a tank of ad blue. As long as you have standard size tank fitted.