MAN and Ad Blue

After market manufacturers would make you a bigger ad blue tank like sb componenets if you have room on the chasis. Laughable that MAN depot don’t know what the consumption % should be.

Just read this.

…Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is an aqueous urea solution used in Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) to lower NOx concentration in the exhaust emissions from diesel engines. The solution may also be referred to[by whom?] as AUS32, shorthand for Aqueous Urea Solution, 32.5%, or as AdBlue, a trademark held by the German Association of the Automobile Industry (VDA), who ensure quality standards are maintained in accord with ISO 22241 specifications.[citation needed] Initially the specification was described in DIN 70070.[1] In 2006 the worldwide ISO 22241 standard was introduced, which also stipulates analytical test protocols to verify adherence to specifications, as well as requirements for storage, transport and handling of the fluid.[citation needed]

SCR systems are sensitive to potential chemical impurities in the urea solution, therefore the solvent is demineralized water. The solution is clear, non-toxic and safe to handle. However, it can corrode some metals and so must be stored and transported in vessels made of materials not so affected. DEF is stored in a tank onboard the vehicle, and injected into the exhaust stream by a metering system at a rate of 3—5% of diesel consumption volume. This low dosing rate ensures long fluid refill intervals and minimises the tank’s obtrusion into vehicle packaging space. An Electronic control unit adjusts the addition of fluid in accord with such parameters as engine operating temperature and speed.

I think 3-5% is pushing it a bit but it depends on what sort of driving your’e doing i suppose.

Geoff moxham:
Anyone know how much adblue should be used on new TGX 440. I have done 2 trips to Venice and over the first 5000km averaged 10mpg but used 90lts of adblue. Each trip the truck hasn’t exceeded 20 tons gross. The adblue tank only holds 25lts which is far too small, MAN Avonmouth say this is the only tank available and have taken the adblue info from the truck computer and are sending it to Germany, they don’t know what the consumption ratio to fuel should be. Any answer :frowning:

I recently had an Actros 2546 on demo and did about 3300km using 980 litres of diesel and 50 litres of AD-Blue so about 5%. (The checks were done accurately as I was trying to decide whether to buy one or not)

The Ad-Blue tank available from MAN is 32l according to the salesman I am dealing with but I dont know what they are suggesting the usage will be as I think virtually every truck will come out different. :confused:

MAN only have only been using AD-Blue on the V8 680bhp truck up until recently but the Euro 5 480 has to use it and the 440 is now available with Ad-Blue as an option. :confused: :confused:

All trucks will have to use a combination of SCR and EGR for Euro 6 so all will have Ad-Blue. :frowning:

One month after my previous post I am happy to say how my adblue consumption has significantly improved… Usage is now NIL, amber emission warning light on, no power reduction, happy days. I took truck into MAiN agent they have said “adblue filters must be change, but no filters available in UK” I know what I shall do next, sweet … all.
:smiley:
Ellie’s dad asks " why spec a new truck with adblue when it’s available without" answer… £4500 cheaper! my truck belongs to hire company, why should they be concerned about adblue consumption. MAN are still available up to 440bhp without adblue and still euro 5.

Silver_Surfer:
After market manufacturers would make you a bigger ad blue tank like sb componenets if you have room on the chasis. Laughable that MAN depot don’t know what the consumption % should be.

Of course they’ll have average consumption figures but even then it varies quite a bit between operators on different work-how hard the engine is being worked for example. I do agree with the bigger tank principle though, they should be about 65 litres mininmum.

Why would you spec a 440 engine with adblue when it is available without it :question: :question:

ellies dad:
Why would you spec a 440 engine with adblue when it is available without it :question: :question:

Euro 6 instead of Euro 5

When does euro 6 come in. Anyway,until then why would you need adblue on a 440 when you can do without.

ellies dad:
When does euro 6 come in. Anyway,until then why would you need adblue on a 440 when you can do without.

resale value of truck?

ellies dad:

Better deal on a longer term lease.