Microwave/ fridge / kettle

As above all help appreciated best ones to buy for Daf 106 space cab ,I’ve got an inverted fitted in behind the passenger seat so I’am going to get the driver some appliances also best fitting positions cheers Dan .

The 14 ltr Daewoo QT-1 is the 240v microwave of choice in the sub £60 category as it’s compact enough to fit in a top locker, but yet big enough to take a full size dinner plate. They’re popular with both trampers and caravan/camper fraternity. I’ve still got a my brand new one in the cupboard at home along with the rest of my night out gear
Edit: the prices have gone up in recent years from the £40-£50 most where paying for them robertdyas.co.uk/daewoo-man … LcQAvD_BwE

As for fridges that depends on the budget and what the driver intends to keep in to keep in it. If he’s only keeping milk for his coffee cold then a basic one will do, but if he’s keeping ready meals and frozen food then your venturing into the 35-50ltr compressor cool-freeze territory such as the dometic/waeco CFX35

Still amazes me that companies don’t spec basics like fridges in trucks for trampers. Partly why I spent most of my career working for the Irish, they tend not to scrimp with poverty spec trucks (and are generally better to work for)

switchlogic:
Still amazes me that companies don’t spec basics like fridges in trucks for trampers. Partly why I spent most of my career working for the Irish, they tend not to scrimp with poverty spec trucks (and are generally better to work for)

Plus is there the option when ordering new to get side scan & camera kit London / fors / cross rail and extra wiring ect rather than having a new cab messed with by an auto electrician for a week after arrival ?

Hi Dan,
Because of where I live, I have a lot of nights out, although I seldom travel more than 200 miles from base.
I never bothered carrying cooking gear till now, preferring just to eat out. It’s fine to go in somewhere, having been like a dog in a kennel all day!!

When all the merde hit the fan recently, and I reckoned everywhere would be closed, I got a powered cool box, and a gas stove, (yes, I am a cheapskate I know) and wow! I reckon I’m saving nearly £150 per week.
Had I done it years ago, id be driving around in an entire German kitchen on wheels, and sleeping in a four poster!!

For a kettle, get a gas stove, better than owt else,and you can cook on food on it to.
For the fridge and Microwave try this guy, very helpful, and a wealth of DAF knowledge, used him many times when i use to drive a DAF, a good man to get s/h stuff from
bgrewcockcommercials.co.uk/

I dont bother with a kettle. Just the Microwave. I use a pyrex jug to heat up the water and your good to go for tea or coffee. :slight_smile:

Old John:
Hi Dan,
Because of where I live, I have a lot of nights out, although I seldom travel more than 200 miles from base.
I never bothered carrying cooking gear till now, preferring just to eat out. It’s fine to go in somewhere, having been like a dog in a kennel all day!!

When all the merde hit the fan recently, and I reckoned everywhere would be closed, I got a powered cool box, and a gas stove, (yes, I am a cheapskate I know) and wow! I reckon I’m saving nearly £150 per week.
Had I done it years ago, id be driving around in an entire German kitchen on wheels, and sleeping in a four poster!!

I’am the same John ,gas stove & cool box when it suits but generally I just go to the nearest restaurant/ pub like you say until recently :unamused: but I’ve got to accommodate the driver of my unit the best I can as I’am one of these bosses that gets him running his time out :open_mouth: :blush:

peirre:
The 14 ltr Daewoo QT-1 is the 240v microwave of choice in the sub £60 category as it’s compact enough to fit in a top locker, but yet big enough to take a full size dinner plate. They’re popular with both trampers and caravan/camper fraternity. I’ve still got a my brand new one in the cupboard at home along with the rest of my night out gear
Edit: the prices have gone up in recent years from the £40-£50 most where paying for them robertdyas.co.uk/daewoo-man … LcQAvD_BwE

Thank you will get on it online :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Old John:
Hi Dan,

I’am the same John ,gas stove & cool box when it suits but generally I just go to the nearest restaurant/ pub like you say until recently :unamused: but I’ve got to accommodate the driver of my unit the best I can as I’am one of these bosses that gets him running his time out :open_mouth: :blush:

Aye, I’ve heard that you lads in that part of the world are a bit Dickensian to work for!!

" A day off, what does tha want wi a day off lad? Think on all the brass you’ll spend on beer and lasses. Best just come to work. You can start at 03.00)

Punchy Dan:

peirre:

Thank you will get on it online :smiley:

Check the dimensions and ensure that it’ll fit in the locker before you order, as I wouldn’t want one of these perched on the bunk or sat on the passenger seat in case of an accident

The 65 plate 106 I drove had a cracking fridge but in, but I understand that some bosses rather save a few pennies when buying a truck.

If you go the way of the inverter and kettle/ popty ping etc, make sure that the driver either runs the engine whilst using them, or that you fit a means to monitor/protect the batteries…
The DAF had a cut out, that switched off the fridge if the voltage dropped to low to start the engine.

Last daf 106 i had there was a cable under floor carpet, top left locker , already wired in just needed a 40 amp fuse in fusebox.

Thanks for the reply’s ,it’s a durite inverter and I have suggested running the engine when using it ,just to add it’s a traditional looking space cab not the plastic roof one with the lamps in ,looks more like a Strato :laughing:

A Strato! I think you may have to educate younger members Dan!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

rgt1973:
A Strato! I think you may have to educate younger members Dan!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

If only it was a Strato :wink:

Get a proper DAF fridge replaces one of the lockers under the bunk

Hey Dan.
As said that little Daewoo microwave is a good un, but I only got it as it was the only one that fit in the top cupboard of the Merc.
I know the old DAF 95s were a deeper cupboard, (not sure about the newer model) so maybe be as well to get a higher powered and bigger one, you can pick them up cheap from the likes of Asda as you know.

Kettle…I’ve had about every model of the 12/24v ones, and none of them lasted too long.
I’ve got a 240v little travelling kettle, the small ones you sometimes see in some Travelodges, think I picked it up brand new in box for a fiver at a car boot sale. :smiley: excellent little thing.
Both run off a big inverter that I bought off a member off here. (Still going strong Harry :sunglasses: )

Fridges…anything with ‘Waeco’ on the side, a tad more expensive, but very good, my last one lasted for 16 years. :open_mouth:
As it happens to replace it, I took the under bunk drawers out of the Merc, and fitted a proper DAF drawer type fridge I had lying about… …, you could have had it cheap if I wasn’t using it, …but tough! :laughing:

Funny you should mention hotel/travel kettles, as a travel kettle IMO is too small (1 cup - 300-400ml?) and a standard 1.7ltr domestic kettle is slightly too large. But they make a 1ltr kettle for the hotel/hospitality industry which is perfect for the job. You can get them from catering suppliers online, I have one fitted with a European Shuko plug for my European travels, but is easily sorted should I need it for the truck
Edit: this is the one I have nisbets.co.uk/caterlite-hot … ttle/cl186
You can get em in stainless as well
nisbets.co.uk/caterlite-hotel-kettle/cd275