Covid and sharing trucks nights out

Hi would you say it’s unacceptable to be still sharing a truck with the Covid crisis,the company I work for we work a 4 on 4 off shift patten and do 3 nights out each week.
The driver I share with when im on my 4 off I would say isn’t the cleanest of people he lives in a caravan on his days off,and only showers when at work in the services so he says.
That’s if he can get access to a shower with most of the services showers closed,he also has no access to a laundrette so he says as most local to him have closed,the company do have spare motors we could use but due to being out based they don’t want a truck parked for 4 days though they are parked up at our main depot due to the downturn in work,I don’t want to make to much of a fuss as grateful I’m still working but it’s a worry to me sharing a truck at the moment,appreciate any comments.

I think you know the answer to your question, I’m not sure why you’re asking it!
For what it’s worth, Under the current circumstances I would refuse to enter the vehicle until I was certain I was under no risk of catching a virus that could potentially end my life.
The company you work for should be aware of this.

Rob077:
Hi would you say it’s unacceptable to be still sharing a truck with the Covid crisis,the company I work for we work a 4 on 4 off shift patten and do 3 nights out each week.
The driver I share with when im on my 4 off I would say isn’t the cleanest of people he lives in a caravan on his days off,and only showers when at work in the services so he says.
That’s if he can get access to a shower with most of the services showers closed,he also has no access to a laundrette so he says as most local to him have closed,the company do have spare motors we could use but due to being out based they don’t want a truck parked for 4 days though they are parked up at our main depot due to the downturn in work,I don’t want to make to much of a fuss as grateful I’m still working but it’s a worry to me sharing a truck at the moment,appreciate any comments.

The example you give is two separate issues.
Afaik personal hygiene has no correlation with covid, he could have terminal b.o. and festering feet and arse, but may still be observing the present precautions…but I would have reservations as to who I shared with in the present situation.
The lad who drives ‘my motor’ on a Mon and Tues is pretty much like myself in hygiene and present precautions terms.
On the other hand if he is as bad as you say, I’d be kicking off about having to share a motor with such a dirty ■■■■ anyway, corona crisis or not,.and refuse to do so,.especially if tramping. :neutral_face:

As RobRoy says smells and safety aren`t exactly the same.

theguardian.com/us-news/202 … t-surfaces
“people are much more likely to be infected by close contact with an infected person than by touching a contaminated surface. That said, it’s still important to be conscious of what we’re touching, especially high-touch surfaces, and be careful about cleaning our hands after touching things.”
“The virus is pretty stable on [mat erials] like plastic and steel – they can persist for a few days. So it’s very possible that someone who’s sick will deposit the virus on to the surface and then somebody else will touch it and touch their face.”
“Regular household cleaners are effective, including bleach solutions and alcohol solutions of at least 70% alcohol.”
“This virus is an enveloped virus so it doesn’t survive well in soap and alcohol.”
FullFact
"And the WHO explains that: “The likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low and the risk of catching the virus that causes COVID-19 from a package that has been moved, travelled, and exposed to different conditions and temperature is also low.”

So, IMHO (non expert) use household cleaners, with bleach or alcohol, turn the night heater on full blast to cook any remaining bugs.

Get employer to supply you with a pack of cleaning wipes, get in motor, give things like controls, door handles etc a wipe over.

You’ve already been sharing with him and we’ve had this in the UK for months now so if he has had it then it’s already too late to avoid exposure.

This situation comes down to your own risk assessment ignore any company policy bollox, the fact you’ve put up with this situation for so long is one thing, with the pandemic you have to step it up a notch to protect yourself and those around you.

At best you would say I want this truck deep cleaned but that’s an unrealistic approach as the risks we face are nothing compared to those on the front line.

What I can suggest is approaching the truck with a squirter.
By squirter I don’t mean the good kind I’m talking a bottle of any household disinfectant spray you can get your hands on and a cloth to wipe with, clean every surface before you touch it, don’t over look things like seat controls/seat belts/dials/knobs/Tacho/radio etc…

Make sure you rub like crazy not just a quick squirt half job.

Best of luck, I’m in a similar boat as my usual vehicle had to go for service Friday, I aggressively declined my companies demand to catch a taxi back to base meaning someone had to collect… Not great as service could wait a few months but office staff are in general ■■■■ to the point of being idiots…

I should add you need to stay in close verbal contact with previous drivers, if any including yourself show Covid symptoms the vehicle should not be used for love nor money and all informed.

Dipper_Dave:
What I can suggest is approaching the truck with a squirter…

You just get ■■■■ worse mate. :laughing:

robroy:

Dipper_Dave:
What I can suggest is approaching the truck with a squirter…

You just get [zb] worse mate. :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley:

You said they have spare motors parked up at the main yard, just a thought but would it be possible/feasible for you to drive over there to pick one up and start your week from there. ?

Easy answer don’t go tramping

remy:
You said they have spare motors parked up at the main yard, just a thought but would it be possible/feasible for you to drive over there to pick one up and start your week from there. ?

That’s what we used to do years ago.

remy:

He’d still need to go into hazmat decontamination mode every time he started his shift cycle in the new truck, even if he thought he was the only one who drove it, because there’d be no way of guaranteeing that nobody else had been in the truck while he was off

peirre:

remy:

He’d still need to go into hazmat decontamination mode every time he started his shift cycle in the new truck, even if he thought he was the only one who drove it, because there’d be no way of guaranteeing that nobody else had been in the truck while he was off

He could always take the keys with him ! :smiley:

Got to my regular truck this morning after service and fair play the fitter had squirted it after he parked it back, nice and clean and with a fresh clean up by myself fingers crossed it’s ok.

Company are now supplying 1 pair of throwaway gloves and 10 wetwipes :slight_smile:

Dipper_Dave:
Got to my regular truck this morning after service and fair play the fitter had squirted it after he parked it back, nice and clean and with a fresh clean up by myself fingers crossed it’s ok.

Company are now supplying 1 pair of throwaway gloves and 10 wetwipes :slight_smile:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
did you have any left over to clean the truck with one you finished?? :laughing:

When I was at Holyhead the other day I saw Caffrey transport are still double manning.

dieseldog999:

Dipper_Dave:

did you have any left over to clean the truck with one you finished?? :laughing:

:smiley:
Yep good old corporate company in times of global disaster they supply drivers with masterbation kits, have to hand to them or more accurately myself :wink:

Dipper_Dave:

dieseldog999:

Dipper_Dave:

did you have any left over to clean the truck with one you finished?? [emoji38]

:smiley:
Yep good old corporate company in times of global disaster they supply drivers with masterbation kits, have to hand to them or more accurately myself :wink:

On the one hand, ■■■■■■■■■■■■ is always an option.
On another hand, it’s not…
Sorry.