Can you do constant 6 on 2 off shifts?

Just wandering, as week is considered 7 days, although you get full 45 hours rest.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

As long as you finish your working week within 144 hours of starting it AND comply with weekly rest rules, I dont see why not.

Why would you want to?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139648&p=2218386

ROG:
Would 6 on 2 off forever be legal? - #38 by tachograph - SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

And now I see why not. Cheers ROG.

Hycus:
Why would you want to?

I don’t want but one company is advertising like that, maybe it’s just not the full story.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We do have a slight issue here I think: We are doing the naughty thing of discussing days rather than hours aren`t we?
Is it possible to have say all 6on/2off are illegal, or not?

The link assumes that the weekend break falls on 2 full days doesn`t it?
And does the “2 off” really mean 48hrs bare time off? If one starts at 00hrs01 on Monday one could finish at 23hrs59 Saturday, (ish), and given “2 off”, restart at 00hrs01 Tuesday.

But…
Start 00hr01 Mon it is quite possible to do “6 days” and finsh 12hrs59 on the Sat? (That is “6 on / 2 off”" too although really it is five and a half on /two and a half off)
So our start time at 00hr01 Tues is now 60hrs: two and a half 24hr days, or 3 calender days away.

Having a bare 48hrs off every week, must be illegal somewhere (ratio of hrs worked to hrs rest, proves this), but if a more realistic type of working day is chosen, would it still always be illegal?

Happy to listen to criticism, of course!

Nite Owl:

ROG:
Would 6 on 2 off forever be legal? - #38 by tachograph - SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

And now I see why not. Cheers ROG.

member tachograph needs the credit for the content in that link :smiley:

Franglais:
We do have a slight issue here I think: We are doing the naughty thing of discussing days rather than hours aren`t we?

It’s not an issue for me but I can’t answer for anyone else :wink:

Franglais:

Well I suppose if you never had regular start times on each of the first of the 6 days and different finishing times on each of the last of the six days it may be possible to do 6 on and 2 on a regular basis without falling foul of the weekly rest requirements, to be honest I’ve never worked it out but I think the different start and finish times would need to be wildly different to stay within the weekly rest requirements.

Franglais:
And does the “2 off” really mean 48hrs bare time off? If one starts at 00hrs01 on Monday one could finish at 23hrs59 Saturday, (ish), and given “2 off”, restart at 00hrs01 Tuesday.

But…
Start 00hr01 Mon it is quite possible to do “6 days” and finsh 12hrs59 on the Sat? (That is “6 on / 2 off”" too although really it is five and a half on /two and a half off)
So our start time at 00hr01 Tues is now 60hrs: two and a half 24hr days, or 3 calender days away.

Having a bare 48hrs off every week, must be illegal somewhere (ratio of hrs worked to hrs rest, proves this), but if a more realistic type of working day is chosen, would it still always be illegal?

It doesn’t seem to matter whether you have exactly 48 hours off or not if you start at anywhere near the same time at the start of the six days you will fall foul of the weekly rest periods, when I say anywhere near the same time I’m talking hours not minutes.

I think it goes without saying that if you mix days and nights it’s likely to be a different result.

Hycus:
Why would you want to?

+1
I certainly wouldn’t anyway. :unamused:

tachograph:

Franglais:

It’s not an issue for me but I can’t answer for anyone else :wink:

Franglais:

Well I suppose if you never had regular start times on each of the first of the 6 days and different finishing times on each of the last of the six days it may be possible to do 6 on and 2 on a regular basis without falling foul of the weekly rest requirements, to be honest I’ve never worked it out but I think the different start and finish times would need to be wildly different to stay within the weekly rest requirements.

Franglais:

But…

It doesn’t seem to matter whether you have exactly 48 hours off or not if you start at anywhere near the same time at the start of the six days you will fall foul of the weekly rest periods, when I say anywhere near the same time I’m talking hours not minutes.

I think it goes without saying that if you mix days and nights it’s likely to be a different result.

I think that it would be realistic to imagine a 09hr00 start and 21hr00 end time daily? 12hr shift.
So, in all weekly breaks there would be 60hrs off, spread across 4 days.
Looking at your diagram showing the hiccup at week 11:
As you say the 60hr weekly rest starting Sunday week 9, can only count in one week, however if it was 69hrs * , it could.
Different ways to achieve this of course.
Taking my example of 09hr00 start time on week one. Same shift all week, 59hr off instead of 60, so 08hr start on week 2, moving by one hr each week, to 00hr00 start, and 12hr00 finish by week 9… Start week 10 at 09hr00 gives a weekly rest of 69hrs.
Seems legal to me. Advancing start times by one hr each week doesnt seem overly onerous? Im well open to correction on this, of course. :smiley:

*A weekly rest period that falls in 2 weeks may be counted in either week but not in both. However, where such a rest period is of at least 69 hours in total and starts in one fixed week and ends in the next fixed week, it may be counted as 2 back-to-back weekly rests (eg a 45-hour weekly rest followed by 24 hours), provided that no more than 144 hours (6 x 24 hours) has elapsed since the end of the previous weekly rest period and start of the following weekly rest period.)
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours
Im sure Tachograph is familiar with this, but Ive included this link for others to see whats going on!

Franglais:
I think that it would be realistic to imagine a 09hr00 start and 21hr00 end time daily? 12hr shift.
As you say the 60hr weekly rest starting Sunday week 9, can only count in one week, however if it was 69hrs * , it could.
Taking my example of 09hr00 start time on week one. Same shift all week, 59hr off instead of 60, so 08hr start on week 2, moving by one hr each week, to 00hr00 start, and 12hr00 finish by week 9… Start week 10 at 09hr00 gives a weekly rest of 69hrs.
Seems legal to me. Advancing start times by one hr each week doesnt seem overly onerous? Im well open to correction on this, of course. :smiley:

Have you or do you know anyone who has worked a 6 on 2 off work pattern starting one hour earlier each week which in reality would mean changing from days to nights then eventually back to days ?

From memory I think I pointed out in that thread that a back to back reduced weekly rest period and regular weekly rest period would change things.

Of course we can can come up with all kinds of weird and wonderful scenarios but how realistic are they, personally I’ve never heard of anyone doing the sort of shift pattern you’ve described above :confused:

tachograph:

Franglais:

Have you or do you know anyone who has worked a 6 on 2 off work pattern starting one hour earlier each week which in reality would mean changing from days to nights then eventually back to days ?

From memory I think I pointed out in that thread that a back to back reduced weekly rest period and regular weekly rest period would change things.

Of course we can can come up with all kinds of weird and wonderful scenarios but how realistic are they, personally I’ve never heard of anyone doing the sort of shift pattern you’ve described above :confused:

Im not suggesting anything you said is wrong, but the OP wondered how a job he saw advertised could work: Ive shown a way it could.
I`ve never worked those patterns, nor would I want to.
It does seem that a 6 on 2 off pattern is quite feasible, and that is what the OP was wondering about, since he saw such a job advertised.
The shifting start times I posited are a change of one hour per week over a 59hr rest, and a change of 9hrs over a 69 hr rest. Much less than a perfectly legal 12hr start-time change over a 24 weekly rest period for instance.

So basically if I apply I will work illegal shifts, but this is a big company and it means anyone else there does illegal shifts and they do this for some years…Hmm…

milesahead:
So basically if I apply I will work illegal shifts, but this is a big company and it means anyone else there does illegal shifts and they do this for some years…Hmm…

If it’s a large company it seems unlikely that you would be working illegal shifts, bear in mind that the post I put up in that other thread does not take into account holidays which would in most cases would interrupt the shift pattern quite a few times over a year.

tachograph:

milesahead:

If it’s a large company it seems unlikely that you would be working illegal shifts, bear in mind that the post I put up in that other thread does not take into account holidays which would in most cases would interrupt the shift pattern quite a few times over a year.

That’s what I’m thinking, that a large company would normally stay legal, at least you would hope so and good point about holidays, although I’m not too excited about 6 - 2 …

Get a van and do 7 days none off

milesahead:

No.
It is quite possible to arrange shifts legally, as I’ve shown. An extra day off every 9 weeks would achieve the same. If that extra day off isn’t mentioned on a job advert, nor varying shift start times, doesn’t mean too much.
Look at the detail of the job conditions/hours offered before deciding it’s illegal.

Franglais:

milesahead:

No.
It is quite possible to arrange shifts legally, as I’ve shown. An extra day off every 9 weeks would achieve the same. If that extra day off isn’t mentioned on a job advert, nor varying shift start times, doesn’t mean too much.
Look at the detail of the job conditions/hours offered before deciding it’s illegal.

There are a lot of things which may affect it, you probably right, there must be something, some more details. In this case it’s more likely choice between, if you like this kind of shifts or not.