Strange behaviour

Coming down the M6 tonight, at about Wigan another artic catches me up and sits a reasonable distance behind. I’m doing 52mph. Every so often he gets really close then backs off agiain. Why not just go past me?

This goes on and on past Lymm then after J19 where it’s 4 lanes he goes so close it feels dangerous if I’d needed to brake. I put hazards on for a few seconds to try and give him a hint as I didn’t want to touch brakes, he didn’t react. I speed up to 55mph and he comes with me. Slow back down and he stays with me very very close.

I slow all the way down to 45mph to give him ample head room to quickly get past but nope he just stays dangerously close to me.

This is a quiet motorway by the way at 1am so all lanes free.

Eventually he leaves at 17 I think it was.

Just seemed a bit strange to be like that behind me for a good 20 miles.

Newbie?

That was me. I was cooking my dinner and watching tv.

I just leave the auto brake and crash avoidance system on when im doing that. Next time il fly past you if my eggs are ready in time.

I just leave the auto brake and crash avoidance system on when im doing that. Next time il fly past you if my eggs are ready in time.

cgscott:

Dangerous behaviour.
Eggs are high in cholesterol.

Franglais:

cgscott:

Dangerous behaviour.
Eggs are high in cholesterol.

I only use the egg whites. Im not that daft or dangerous enough to harm my body that way.

I’d guess he probably had his adaptive cruise control on.and was relying on it to much to.keep a safe distance.
Instead of using his brain

edd1974:
I’d guess he probably had his adaptive cruise control on.and was relying on it to much to.keep a safe distance.

You mean night truckers have a brain [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nah he was far far far closer than what any adaptive cruise control system would allow him to be

Rowley010:
Nah he was far far far closer than what any adaptive cruise control system would allow him to be

I’m always surprised at how close these systems let a truck get. On the rare occasions I use mine I set it for a larger gap than standard, I’ve never set it for a smaller gap, but imagine that would be very close indeed.
I have no intention of trying the closest setting to prove that point!

Franglais:
I have no intention of trying the closest setting to prove that point!

Wimp :laughing:

On our Merc’s there is 5 different settings to keep a set gap between car in front, sure it’s company policy that you don’t set it less than 3. If your in an accident and that’s changed I guess it’s up the road.

blue estate:

edd1974:

You mean night truckers have a brain [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

OI :smiling_imp:

They can get close i.use 3 on my daf god.knows how close 1 would get you.
Saying that though I’d never trust it that close anyway.

ValleysTrucker:
On our Merc’s there is 5 different settings to keep a set gap between car in front, sure it’s company policy that you don’t set it less than 3. If your in an accident and that’s changed I guess it’s up the road.

Are you allowed to think, or is that against company policy.

edd1974:

Its not actually that close, still keeps you a safe enough distance.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

blue estate:

Yep.

And a ban hammer!

edd1974:

2 second gap which will vary in distance depending on speed because your stopping distance changes depending on speed. Faster you’re going the further the distance setting 1 will give. Every time you increase it by 1 it roughly increases the gap by a second.

biggriffin:

ValleysTrucker:

Are you allowed to think, or is that against company policy.

Don’t be ridiculous man… Think?
What decade are you in ffs? :unamused:
It’s all spoon feed management, electronic gizmo ■■■■■■■■, and truck sat navs set to heights, weights and every ■■■■ thing else nowadays.
Do try and keep up.
:unamused:
:wink:

El Deano:

edd1974:

Its not actually that close, still keeps you a safe enough distance.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Just as a matter of interest what do you class as a “safe enough distance”?

Just curious