Maybe a new chapter with Maritime?

Had enough of tipper work so have an upcoming assessment with Maritime. Any Maritime drivers on here want to tell me what the job is like? Pros and Cons?

Cheers Drivers!

You’d do…

Well to have a quick look through the archives here. Maritime is a very popular topic on TN.

Also, what are you doing because Maritime have their fingers in a few different pies.

yourhavingalarf:
You’d do…

Well to have a quick look through the archives here. Maritime is a very popular topic on TN.

Also, what are you doing because Maritime have their fingers in a few different pies.

Old topics on here which aren’t relevant to what I’m asking for. I believe it’s a mixture of Containers and Curtain.

You’ll need to specify what depot you are looking at because they can be chalk & cheese. Different office bods & work etc.

Don’t take this as gospel, but you may want to stock up on the chrome polish before you start. I think there’s a clause in the Maritime contract that requires all drivers to spend their first 45-minute break polishing their rims.

Spoken to a few Maritime lads, its easy work on the boxes, only hard part is finding some of the places. The curtain side is a really just a run of the mill type. If you’re tramping you’ll get access to any Maritime depot in the country to stay in. Big cabs but you do have that camera looking at you when driving and they are limited to 50. But its really the office that will make or break you when it comes to Maritime. I remember a thread on here way back about someone kicking off at the Donny depot because he’d had a barny with an office bod over something silly.

Working out of Peterborough.

Will find any excuse possible to get rid when they go quiet. Cameras checked. You’ve been warned.

UKmember:
Working out of Peterborough.

PM sent

They"ve recently given their drivers quite a big increase in pay. 6% on the hourly rate and something like 15% on the over time. I’ve seen the sheet withy own eyes from a driver who was sent it by his mate who still works there.

You think they’ve done that out the goodness of their hearts ?

It’s because they can’t get drivers. Flashy new trucks with fridges and microwaves and still struggling to get bums on seats or, more importantly, retaining the ones they’ve got.

Ask yourself why. These old treads you’ve dismissed might tell you the answer.

My postman’s son works at the Alconbury depot on a 4 on 4 off rota and is very happy with the job, far better than at wincanton on containers. But talking to other drivers in the area the Northampton depot gets the thumbs down (office staff)

Decided to take the job, seems good to be fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never worked with maritime because of the cameras.

Shame as I’m near Tilbury.

Tilbury is one depot to avoid-office staff treat you like dogdoo.

One chap i spoke to reckon the big cheese is contactable by staff and will sort out issues of half witted or bullying office staff, i suspect it might be a strained relationship afterwards.

Juddian:
One chap i spoke to reckon the big cheese is contactable by staff and will sort out issues of half witted or bullying office staff, i suspect it might be a strained relationship afterwards.

Thats an affirmative there Juddian,I managed to get his number (John Williams) and gave it to a fellow Southampton driver,wrongly fingered for a minor fracas in Rownhams msa.The full weight of the office drone machine piled into him and naturally took the car drivers viewpoint.JW thought differently and got my colleague financially recompensed.I have a handful of similar anecdotes of JW s benificence.He’s a fine fella presiding over a mega successful operation,but in the full grip of corporate crapola that rules the roost these days sadly.

Juddian:

Brave move…

If you did that where I worked his phone would be rung off the hook with ‘Dave’s got a better run than me’ or ‘the night man left a Snickers wrapper in my door pocket’ or I can’t find my trailer’ or ‘do these stairs go up or down?’ or ‘is this frozen load sposed to be set at +15?’.

He’d be calling the Samaritans within an hour.

I have to say that in the years i have worked for Maritime, i have been treated very fairly.
obviously you get good days and bad days but mostly good.
You are given a decent vehicle to drive decent trailers and the knowledge that any problems will be sorted out as quickly as possible.
wages are Good and Great drivers facilities at maritime Depots.
Its one of the few jobs i have had that i enjoy coming to work.

aerofire:
I have to say that in the years i have worked for Maritime, i have been treated very fairly.
obviously you get good days and bad days but mostly good.
You are given a decent vehicle to drive decent trailers and the knowledge that any problems will be sorted out as quickly as possible.
wages are Good and Great drivers facilities at maritime Depots.
Its one of the few jobs i have had that i enjoy coming to work.

What’s the Maritime Depots facilities
like for nights out? I’m used to Lay-bys.

What’s the Maritime Depots facilities
like for nights out? I’m used to Lay-bys.

nice clean showers and toilets unlike most service areas. tv area normally with large screen tv. microwaves , and drink machines. and obviously security for truck and load.
some depots are more modern than others, but when they refurbish a depot they spend a lot of money. maritime do not permit parking in lay-bys, Own depots or service areas.

[/quote]