Maybe a new chapter with Maritime?

Pros: They take anyone, “9 points OK” culture. Cons: They don’t pay well. Who goes to work for the kit?

I didn’t know they’d installed driver-facing cameras since I last worked there (2012) - but I’m in no hurry to ever go back there. H&S observance is terrible, at least around the Tilbury area! :open_mouth: :frowning:

Winseer:
Pros: They take anyone, “9 points OK” culture. Cons: They don’t pay well. Who goes to work for the kit?

I didn’t know they’d installed driver-facing cameras since I last worked there (2012) - but I’m in no hurry to ever go back there. H&S observance is terrible, at least around the Tilbury area! :open_mouth: :frowning:

if you dont work there . how do you know what the current pay is.? and whats the problem with an internal camera unless your playing with your phone. i can see it wont be long before they are compulsory. in all trucks .and id rather drive a clean new truck than some piece of trash thats not serviced properly.

aerofire:

Winseer:

if you dont work there . how do you know what the current pay is.? and whats the problem with an internal camera unless your playing with your phone. i can see it wont be long before they are compulsory. in all trucks .and id rather drive a clean new truck than some piece of trash thats not serviced properly.

The day that happens, I’ll go drive a van.

aerofire:
whats the problem with an internal camera unless your playing with your phone. .

I was just about to post about anybody with a bit of self pride, dignity and professionalism need not apply because of constant feed driver facing cameras…but then I saw this. :unamused:
So…

To any driver who wants to know how (and why) some firms actually get away with the injustice and liberty of them actually constantly watching and monitoring their drivers at will…
There lies the answer when some drivers among us ask that question. :neutral_face:
Usually followed with ‘‘If you’re doing nothing wrong why are you bothered’’
I rest my case. :neutral_face:

Walks away to bang his head hard against a wall. :cry:

yourhavingalarf:

Juddian:
One chap i spoke to reckon the big cheese is contactable by staff and will sort out issues of half witted or bullying office staff, i suspect it might be a strained relationship afterwards.

Brave move…

If you did that where I worked his phone would be rung off the hook with ‘Dave’s got a better run than me’ or ‘the night man left a Snickers wrapper in my door pocket’ or I can’t find my trailer’ or ‘do these stairs go up or down?’ or ‘is this frozen load sposed to be set at +15?’.

He’d be calling the Samaritans within an hour.

Not really, I have the phone numbers of people with REAL skin in the game.

The day my number shows up on their phone screen. Their factory is burning down or some other out of control situation.
They pay me well to do a good job, not bother them with trivialities…

You would only ring them once.

robroy:

aerofire:
And as i recall tomasz Kroker killed 4 inocent people on the A34 distracted by scrolling through music on his mobile phone, and the internal camera proved his guilt. i see so called proffesional drivers using mobile phones whilst driving lgv everyday. so the sooner they are fitted on all trucks the better.

whats the problem with an internal camera unless your playing with your phone. .

I was just about to post about anybody with a bit of self pride, dignity and professionalism need not apply because of constant feed driver facing cameras…but then I saw this. :unamused:
So…

To any driver who wants to know how (and why) some firms actually get away with the injustice and liberty of them actually constantly watching and monitoring their drivers at will…
There lies the answer when some drivers among us ask that question. :neutral_face:
Usually followed with ‘‘If you’re doing nothing wrong why are you bothered’’
I rest my case. :neutral_face:

Walks away to bang his head hard against a wall. :cry:

aerofire:
And as i recall tomasz Kroker killed 4 inocent people on the A34 distracted by scrolling through music on his mobile phone, and the internal camera proved his guilt. i see so called proffesional drivers using mobile phones whilst driving lgv everyday. so the sooner they are fitted on all trucks the better.

Don’t talk utter ■■■■■■■■ man. :unamused:
Tens of thousands of professionally adept truckers all over the UK and Europe go from year to year, decade to decade with no dramas, so let’s all suffer for one isolated case of a ■■■■ ballbag who should never have been let behind a wheel of a kids pedal car, let alone a 44 tonne truck.
Jeez H Christ, ■■■■ brainwashed by media or what. :unamused:

robroy:

aerofire:
i think its you thats talking utter ■■■■■■■■. hardly an isolated case ,how many people have been killed by hgv drivers on there phones i know of several instances, i dont need to listen to the media to know driving a 44 tonne truck needs all your concentration. i suppose you dont go into a bank or fuel station because they have cameras.

Don’t talk utter ■■■■■■■■ man. :unamused:
Tens of thousands of professionally adept truckers all over the UK and Europe go from year to year, decade to decade with no dramas, so let’s all suffer for one isolated case of a [zb] ballbag who should never have been let behind a wheel of a kids pedal car, let alone a 44 tonne truck.
Jeez H Christ, [zb] brainwashed by media or what. :unamused:

aerofire:
i think its you thats talking utter ■■■■■■■■. hardly an isolated case ,how many people have been killed by hgv drivers on there phones i know of several instances, i dont need to listen to the media to know driving a 44 tonne truck needs all your concentration. i suppose you dont go into a bank or fuel station because they have cameras.

Oh right, so I’m talkiing ■■■■■■■■ because I see a cab camera as an insult to my integrity as a professional driver eh? :unamused:
And what a ■■■■ ridiculous analogy comparing a camera in a bank or service station with a one to one intrusive surveillance camera in a tramper’s cab.
All these multi accidents you have seen on the road in epidemic proportions caused by phones should be prevented and eradicatedby proper road Policing…incidentally how long you been driving btw, because I’ve hardly ever seen no more than a handful of drivers in a year, using phones, but you have obviously been on the road longer than me eh?

You’re too far gone to argue with tbh mate, you obviously believe everything you hear and read, and embrace all the corporate ■■■■■■■■ from your firm, and readily regurgitate it …you’ll go far there I reckon with your subservient attitude.

I object to any form of surveillance in the workplace. It tells me I’m not trusted and I would not work for such a company.

newmercman:
I object to any form of surveillance in the workplace. It tells me I’m not trusted and I would not work for such a company.

I think it’s a generational thing NMM, there is a certain generation who have had stuff like anti Union propaganda, and the need to tow the line and know their place in society, rammed down their necks in the educational system.
The result…the handing back of all workers rights,.and the willingness to obey any ■■■■ injustice doled out with enthusiasm.

A bit of a conspircy theory I know, but I don’t remember queing up to be metaphorically f…ed by my boss without a modicum of resistance, when I was a young driver, as some of them do today

aerofire:
whats the problem with an internal camera unless your playing with your phone.

In Maritime drivers’ case, the problem is that they sip water, eat the odd sandwich, or dare to press ‘stop’ on their mp3 player. Yes, they did have a purge, and yes, they sacked drivers for these reasons. The cameras (and microphones and infra red interior lights) act as a warped variation of Damocles’ sword.

robroy:

newmercman:

I think it’s a generational thing NMM, there is a certain generation who have had stuff like anti Union propaganda, and the need to tow the line and know their place in society, rammed down their necks in the educational system.
The result…the handing back of all workers rights,.and the willingness to obey any [zb] injustice doled out with enthusiasm.

A bit of a conspircy theory I know, but I don’t remember queing up to be metaphorically f…ed by my boss without a modicum of resistance, when I was a young driver, as some of them do today

Same here mate, I’ve always been a fairly decent employee, usually ended up with the fleet flagship or at least one of the better motors on the firm, earned decent money, got given good work etc. But I’ve never been a brown noser or took any corporate bs. Being an owner driver/small fleet owner certainly helped in that respect lol, but seriously as a PAYE employee I’ve often thought that other drivers have been given instructions that would result in a “You can FRO” from me, I’ve always said that people will treat you how you allow yourself to be treated. It seems as if it’s a good job I drive my own lorry, judging by the T&Cs at some firms, I would be unemployable.

newmercman:

robroy:

newmercman:

The result…the handing back of all workers rights,.and the willingness to obey any [zb] injustice doled out with enthusiasm.

Same here mate, I’ve always been a fairly decent employee, usually ended up with the fleet flagship or at least one of the better motors on the firm, earned decent money, got given good work etc. But I’ve never been a brown noser or took any corporate bs. Being an owner driver/small fleet owner certainly helped in that respect lol, but seriously as a PAYE employee I’ve often thought that other drivers have been given instructions that would result in a “You can FRO” from me, I’ve always said that people will treat you how you allow yourself to be treated. It seems as if it’s a good job I drive my own lorry, judging by the T&Cs at some firms, I would be unemployable.

That could be actually me talking :smiley: ,
Difference with me though, is the firm I work for are joining the modern trend of general driver agitation with ■■■■ stupid memos sent out, and rules for rules sake…wearing shorts is one, for the latest example to pluck out of the air. :unamused:
I do farm deliveries mostly, and surprise surprise I’ve never had one farmer tell me I am causing him offence or any trouble by my shorts (despite my legs :laughing: )… so ■■■■ em, I still wear em. :imp:
I just tend to duck and dive all the crap in my own way, keep my swede down and get on with it, …and then sit back and watch most of the others complying with every stupid ■■■■ thing with enthusiasm. :unamused:
It never ceases to amaze me how some gullible drivers swallow it all, then in about 3 months of brainwashing will repeat all the crap, and tell me for instance …‘‘Shorts are absolutely dangerous in this job you know’’ :open_mouth:
A bit like the ‘‘Reason’’ for cameras in fact eh?. :bulb:

Maybe me and you are a dying breed in the job mate, but I remember when I was a young new driver, the older hands taking zero crap…maybe that’s rubbed off on me.

aerofire:
and whats the problem with an internal camera unless your playing with your phone. i can see it wont be long before they are compulsory. in all trucks .and id rather drive a clean new truck than some piece of trash thats not serviced properly.

I don’t think there is a link at companies that don’t fit camera’s also don’t change oil filters. :wink:

Well, I’d go back and work for them if it wasn’t for the many hours of boredom tipping containers and the cameras. Generally, they are a decent firm to work for, pay and conditions are fair and the guys in the office where I was (ikea donny) were alright. In fact, I live close to the manager (ex driver himself) and see him for a natter now and then. He’s a decent guy but has no time for the guys with the can’t do won’t do attitude which is fair enough.
I doubt I’ll go back for the above reasons but it’s nice to know I could if I needed to. If you’re not bothered about the cameras and the long boring tips then go for it.

Interesting Nomi, and you confirm what i think and i suspect lots of others also think, those who actually do have the right attitude to work take care and take a pride in their work, in that these cameras will filter out the very drivers these companies should be recruiting because they don’t need cameras to stop them acting the fool, and those who need the cameras will be the ones applying.
Shooting themselves in the foot seems to be a national pastime :unamused:

newmercman:

Better not go to work for Wal Mart then mate, i counted 7 cameras in the receiving area at one store and asked an associate ’ I know they have cameras on the shop floor but why are these here ? ’ and she said 'to keep an eye on us ’

That makes you feel loved :frowning:

There goes my Walmart greeter retirement plan!

People do realise the cab camera only records 15 seconds before and after if the driver slams his brakes on or harsh movements of the vehicle so no ur not being constantly watched [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk