Rothwell Welcome Break 'truckstop'

Called in today and it’s an absolute joke how they can spend hundreds of thousands building a state of the art truck stop and not think about abnormal loads or car transporters. Every bay has a 8 inch high curb to reverse your trailer wheels onto, but that’s no good for a transporter because they ride too low to go over that and even if you raised the trailer you still can’t clear it. So to park there you’d end up sticking out by about 12 feet. I was only popping in for breakfast and it was empty so I could drive into a bay forward and use the empty spaces to reverse out, but at night that’s not practical.

The transporter drivers won’t let that deter them, they’ll use the coach bays or failing that, park where they like :wink:
Parking for trucks in the U.K. isn’t the best any way, Heywood truckstop is one of the only ones with a designated fridge area, so as not to disturb other drivers, but it’s taken over by curtainsiders, containers and transporters, meaning running fridges have to park in amongst everyone else, and face disgruntled drivers on a morning.

ab load bays are rarely free anyway, you always get it at night when you need to pull up and some ignorant tool has his curtainsider in there. They should have bollards that are lowered when you book in for parking with your police permit. It’s when you politely ask them to move on and are made out to be in the wrong that makes you laugh. They soon regret it when you’re running in tandem or under ■■■■■■ and block em in for your 11 off :laughing:

Grumpy Dad:
The transporter drivers won’t let that deter them, they’ll use the coach bays or failing that, park where they like :wink:
Parking for trucks in the U.K. isn’t the best any way, Heywood truckstop is one of the only ones with a designated fridge area, so as not to disturb other drivers, but it’s taken over by curtainsiders, containers and transporters, meaning running fridges have to park in amongst everyone else, and face disgruntled drivers on a morning.

In the oldern days before anpr cameras, the parking etiquette was a lot better as the old retired fella(, who use to collect money at all lorry parks made sure every body parked in the correct space, fridges would be parked somewhere out off the way, But then when they saw a moneysaving idea, get rid of the parking attendeents, whe’ll use cameras, it’s now a free for all…
Any one who has used Coopers at Risby will know, you park we’re your told, you get about 3 goes to get it right,then you get shouted at.

biggriffin:

Grumpy Dad:

In the oldern days before anpr cameras, the parking etiquette was a lot better as the old retired fella(, who use to collect money at all lorry parks made sure every body parked in the correct space, fridges would be parked somewhere out off the way, But then when they saw a moneysaving idea, get rid of the parking attendeents, whe’ll use cameras, it’s now a free for all…
Any one who has used Coopers at Risby will know, you park we’re your told, you get about 3 goes to get it right,then you get shouted at.

Lot of truth there, but we also have the “jumped up git, telling me where I can and cant park” attitude. Who`d what to deal with some of the “trucking gods” out there?

Grumpy Dad:

They messed up at Heywood when they positioned the fridge area nearest the facilities. Was always going to get abused by the many lazy sods who don’t want to walk a bit after being sat on their arse all day.

If they’re…

Gonna designate areas for reefers then they have to enforce things. How they do that is the difficult part.

The arguments I had at the Weil am Rhein crossing into Switzerland with tilts parking in the allocated reefer bays were stressful as hell. As soon as I parked in an ordinary bay because the fridge bays were full, out came every driver in the vicinity telling me turn it off and park in the proper bays. Then the fridge would get turned off, I’d have to get out and turn it back on. Best solution was to park with the back doors facing out. Even then I still got grief.

Nightmare.

Back when I was working :smiley: :smiley:. I often ran a container with a genset to Scotland. Tebay was the preferred stop as it had a dedicated reefer park, getting parked in the bays was another thing. I’ve even had " I hope your going to turn that bloody thing off" by someone with a curtainsider not liking me parking alongside him in the only bay left in the dedicated park. When I asked him why he was parked in the fridge bay his answer was, the television reception was better here!! Obviously my reply was efin tough. :imp: :imp: regards Kev.