I think the last truck I drove had adblue cheating device

I was on assignment with a shady “company”, had one of their trucks for 4 days, did about 1000 miles but adblue level remained at 100% according to the digital gauge. By the start of day 3 I thought the measuring sensor or w/e it’s using isn’t working but when I tried to fill up with adblue at the start of my shift I found out none of the keys would fit the lock - there were 2 small keys, 1 for the diesel tank and 1 for the adblue cap but only the one for the diesel fit, obviously the adblue cap lock had been replaced.

Am I being paranoid or did they purposely not give me a key so I wouldn’t “waste money” on filling up with adblue? Did some reading apparently if it turns out there is a cheat device I, the driver, can be held responsible for it as well as the operator/TM. I didn’t mention it to them when I got back as I thought that day (day 3) would be my last with them but ended up doing 1 more; however, now it’s been bugging me for a few days

Phone the dvsa stick them right in. Remember to give them your full name address and d.o.b.

In my truck (DAF) the AdBlue level lights won’t change for a thousand or maybe more kliks. If it was over full to start then it may all be ok or may even have a faulty gauge.
You couldn’t reasonably know that a device is fitted in your limited time do I don’t think your neck is on the block. Driving the same truck for months is clearly different.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Mine is the same in the sense that it runs at 100% for ages then drops quite quickly once it does start dropping.

I’ve had it still at 100% on a Thursday but by close of play Friday it’s been 50/60% full.

As has been said, you were only in it for four days so you can’t really tell definitively so therefore don’t worry. The not giving the keys for it is daft though.

Really, who cares, maybe little fluffy bunnies won’t be able to breath, because the nasty lorry was belching out horrid fumes,as the company were fitting emulators,… Just crack on drive.

Possible cheat, but i really wouldn’t be getting involved in doing the authorities work for them.

Also possible the gauge doesn’t work but they re-fill it weekly as a matter of course, as for no key maybe that’s to stop muppets from putting the wrong product in the wrong tank, which sadly they do now and again :unamused: , obviously it’s usually adblu into the fuel tank :open_mouth: …won’t stop 'em topping up a hydraulic tank if fitted with fuel though, and yes they do this now and again unless that too is locked and no key :unamused:

Juddian:
Possible cheat, but i really wouldn’t be getting involved in doing the authorities work for them.

If it was a “reputable” company, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. This one however, all their trucks are Renee’s aged 10+, barely maintained, 95% of their drivers/workforce are Romanian, first question they ask as you show up for the first time is “You Romanian? You speak Romanian?”; the interiors of their trucks look like junkyard trucks, they expect drivers to do 13-14 hour shifts on multidrop (no RDC) etc, get stuck in traffic they don’t pay the time you spent there, work trough your breaks - tough luck, 45mins a day are unpaid w.e

ETS:
if it turns out there is a cheat device I, the driver, can be held responsible for it as well as the operator/TM.

Well I must admit I never knew that. Do you have a link?

ETS:

Juddian:

If it was a “reputable” company, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. This one however, all their trucks are Renee’s aged 10+, barely maintained, 95% of their drivers/workforce are Romanian, first question they ask as you show up for the first time is “You Romanian? You speak Romanian?”; the interiors of their trucks look like junkyard trucks, they expect drivers to do 13-14 hour shifts on multidrop (no RDC) etc, get stuck in traffic they don’t pay the time you spent there, work trough your breaks - tough luck, 45mins a day are unpaid w.e

Some of the older trucks were quite economical with AdBlue because they used EGR as well as SCR (some MANs used EGR only so no AdBlue); a lot of the Euro 6 ones are SCR-only so they use a lot of AdBlue (I found that out the first time I used one of the new ones - a Scania artic on a fully loaded sheet metal run). That said what you describe does sound like cheating and if they’re doing this, they’re probably doing other things as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t get involved, If you agency just don’t go back. VOSA will catch up with them, a pull into a roadside check will sort them out.

Harry Monk:

ETS:
if it turns out there is a cheat device I, the driver, can be held responsible for it as well as the operator/TM.

"Drivers caught with an emissions cheat device or a faulty emissions control system have 10 days to remove the device and repair their emissions system.

If they continue to use a device or fail to repair the system, they can be fined £300 and have their vehicle taken off the road"

gov.uk/government/news/chec … at-britain

ETS:

Harry Monk:

ETS:

"Drivers caught with an emissions cheat device or a faulty emissions control system have 10 days to remove the device and repair their emissions system.

If they continue to use a device or fail to repair the system, they can be fined £300 and have their vehicle taken off the road"

I can only imagine that is poorly worded and/or refers to owner drivers, it’s not a driver’s responsibility to pull a truck apart looking for and removing electronic devices.

Harry Monk:

ETS:

Harry Monk:

ETS:

I can only imagine that is poorly worded and/or refers to owner drivers, it’s not a driver’s responsibility to pull a truck apart looking for and removing electronic devices.

+1
If what they are doing wrong could effect your licence or if they’re trying to get you to run over your hours, or run on slicks or something they deserve to get lifted by VOSA, …but if it aint affecting you in an adverse way, then let them get on with it, it’s their affair or downfall, and between THEM and Vosa, but none of your concern imo.

Franglais:
In my truck (DAF) the AdBlue level lights won’t change for a thousand or maybe more kliks. If it was over full to start then it may all be ok or may even have a faulty gauge.

I was about to ask if it was a DAF because that’s my experience also. A 600km night trunk running almost full weight over the A66 would see maybe 5 litres used assuming the day driver had actually filled it up which he may not have given it was still full on the gauge after using the 5 litres compared to the MANs I drove on the same job where it using 5 litres would see the gauge drop to 3/4.

biggriffin:
Really, who cares, maybe little fluffy bunnies won’t be able to breath, because the nasty lorry was belching out horrid fumes,as the company were fitting emulators,… Just crack on drive.

Hundreds of millions of people care to the point that governments are being forced to up their game massively on climate change and pollution from vehicles and manufacturing.

Conor:

biggriffin:

Hundreds of millions of people care to the point that governments are being forced to up their game massively on climate change and pollution from vehicles and manufacturing.

im for drastic measures too mainly in town centres and near schools.
People are so thick, only this will help.
Having young lady sitting on front of our school and idling her old diesel car, after a week seeing he i approached he and told her she should not idle her car on front of the school…
she said…whats the idling?
i replied , running engine when not moving…still politely…she replied…its my car! I said yes but exhaust fumes harming children…
she replied…realy? thats not your business!
then i switched her still running lump reaching ignition…in second she started it again…screaming…what are you doing mate!?
switched it off again…
Later friend of mine told me i should not expect people DO know technical thing about cars…wtf?
Just hope not every women is thick ■■■■■ like this one!

You won’t have to worry about ad blue or fumes when DAF get those batteries sorted for their new gen trucks, just something else to criticise and moan about.

Fill out a defect for it. Take a picture of it before you hand it in.

Was using a 63 plate Iveco stralis a couple of year ago,filled it up with adblue and didn’t use any for a couple of days,thought gauge was faulty so tried topping it up again but it was still full,then the plastic tank started to squeeze in on itself,fitter came out and said the injector inside had gone funny due to being overfilled,nothing showed on dash(surprisingly for an Iveco) and no smoke it ran fine…they said don’t fill it right up in future…

cgscott:
Phone the dvsa stick them right in. Remember to give them your full name address and d.o.b.

Every one luvs a grass :unamused: