Engine limiting power (adbue low)?

Has any one had this problem full tank of adblue. Nicely driving along when up on dash WARNING adblue low then in 5 mins WARNING engine limiting power I have a daf euro 5 cf I had this problem 2 months ago and i am in dispute with daf over this they are trying to charge me for running out of the stuff they dont want to know about any possible fault ie faulty pump they can whistle for there money. the truck is 10 months old. seems to me no warranty with daf trucks so dont buy one.

We used to have this problem with our DAF 7.5 tonners. Ad-Blue never ran out, but the emissions light would randomly come on, and would have to go into DAF to get reset. would be fine for a few weeks then all of a sudden come on again.

Not sure if the problem got sorted out as im no longer on that contract with the agency

Ive posted about this issue before, some DAFs are more prone to it than others. Sometimes stopping and switching the engine on/off re-sets the system. Normally when the warning come on I just phone the office and tell em and ask for advice, putting the ball firmly in their court, which results in them say "oh just bring it back at the end of the shift and we`ll get someone to look at it later"which enevitably never happens :unamused:

We had this problem with one of our Iveco’s aswell.

It seemed that we had a bad batch of Adblue and it had crystalized in the tank and been drawn in by the pump. So as you can guess it needed a new pump and the tank removing and cleaning inside. There is only two ways this stuff will go off and thats if it gets below -25C or its mixed with water. Personally I’d get it to the fitters and get them to check if it isn’t dragging water in somewhere.

SWraith:
We had this problem with one of our Iveco’s aswell.

It seemed that we had a bad batch of Adblue and it had crystalized in the tank and been drawn in by the pump. So as you can guess it needed a new pump and the tank removing and cleaning inside. There is only two ways this stuff will go off and thats if it gets below -25C or its mixed with water. Personally I’d get it to the fitters and get them to check if it isn’t dragging water in somewhere.

Your figures are a little out. It’s -11c to +30c.
At +30 or above it splits into urea and water. At -11 it freezes.
So don’t go to Scotland. And don’t go to Spain.

We had this with a couple of our DAF units it was something to do with the valve in the ad-blue tank which crystalises up and gets blocked.

I drive an XF105. I put 30 litres in before Christmas. She steams merrily fist thing in the morning but the needle has barely moved. Been in to be looked at and come back supposedly OK. Still haven’t had to put any more in since.

Does it use less in cold conditions ■■?

Power doesn’t seem to be affected ( it’s a bit underpowered anyway only being a 410 ) and no warnings of any kind and needle between 3/4 and full.

I wonder is there a way of fooling the nox sensor into thinking ther is ad blue in the system??
for emergency use of course :wink:

Willy Gofar:
I drive an XF105. I put 30 litres in before Christmas. She steams merrily fist thing in the morning but the needle has barely moved. Been in to be looked at and come back supposedly OK. Still haven’t had to put any more in since.

Does it use less in cold conditions ■■?

Power doesn’t seem to be affected ( it’s a bit underpowered anyway only being a 410 ) and no warnings of any kind and needle between 3/4 and full.

When we got our FH last year the Volvo dealership told us that a tank of adblue would last for one tank of diesel. But we are getting much better. it’s about 1700 litres of diesel to 100 litres of adblue, but it does steam a bit on start up.
I wonder if it’s linked to how hard the engine is working. We pull very little weight and spend most of the time on motorways.

muckles:
When we got our FH last year the Volvo dealership told us that a tank of adblue would last for one tank of diesel. But we are getting much better. it’s about 1700 litres of diesel to 100 litres of adblue, but it does steam a bit on start up.

On my FM I fill the Adblue tank on average once every three weeks, putting around 45 litres in, and in those three weeks the vehicle will have covered somewhere in the region of 7,500 - 8,000 kilometres.

muckles:
I wonder if it’s linked to how hard the engine is working. We pull very little weight and spend most of the time on motorways.

Same as.

ellies dad:
I wonder is there a way of fooling the nox sensor into thinking ther is ad blue in the system??

Give me 2-3 weeks, just waiting for a delivery. :wink:

thank you every body i will now give chassis cab in Bury the bad news they just dont beleive me They keep saying I ran it out and then quickly filled it up then drove it into the dealer. I think a court case coming along should do the trick.

my 105s are using tank and half a week. renault premium had new probe sensor one week and pump next week not good in first two weeks service.that uses about same each week.

The same problem exists with Volvo´s as well, not just a DAF problem, can be the pump can be that the stuff has cyrstalised somewhere along the line for whatever reason, with our Volvo´s it turned out to be a pump problem in all 5 cases but by god did they try to wriggle out of it by changing and blaming everything esle before finally admitting that the expensive pump would have to replaced under guarantee.

It could be this:
a few weeks ago spurious warning lights came on ,on my dashboard,limiter went off,in fact i lost all electrical power.after pullimg over 20 mins later it was if nothing had happened.
called out dafaid,explained fault,and the fitter said it was a common fault.
apparently there are two wiring looms to and from the ecu,which suffer from water ingress,then brittle,snapping wiring.he has changed loads.
mine had one changed,but i still get brake pad unit wear warning flashing on dash,when the whole unit has just been relined.
the fitter at the time said it was a common problem on dafs,and he had replaced hundreds of looms.
it could be this causing your fault.

Ad Blu usage is definately related to how hard the engine is working, usage on ligtht work is much better than on heavy. I know of a street sweeper hire company who get over 3 months out of a 30 litre tank on Iveco 14 tonne sweepers, tickover in crawler all day.

My manager told me nothing bad would happen if I let a truck run out of Ad-blue. Be interesting to see her face if I do run one dry.

Nothing will happen to them if they are early Euro4 or 5 machines and haven’t been updated. Later ones will go into limp-home mode to keep the emissions down.

My truck does 8.0mpg on average,an ibc of ad blue lasted 65k.
As the truck get’s older it seem’s less thirsty,85 litre’s can last me over two week’s!

ellies dad:

As the sensors measure the emissions the only way to “fool” them is to reduce the [power] output to drop emission levels, which defeats the object.

The OBC records all ad-Blue useage and all running without [as is the case when you run out whilst travelling to a refill point] and this data is accessable by vosa.

All ad_Blue systems should have the pressure [air] filter and mesh filter replaced annually.

If you operate a DAF CF and the truck chassis/body was painted [sprayed] prior to delivery then you should check the breather unit. DAF provide a technical bulletin that is available to users, just ask you local DAF dealer, it is available as a PDF by email or fax if no pc.