Uniloads - Avoid like the plague!

Interesting that this thread came up in a Google search for ‘Uniloads’. :open_mouth:

I hadn’t heard of them before but I saw their online advert for drivers and I need a new job so I filled in an application. A couple of days later I got an e-mail saying I’d got through the first stage. Woohoo! Today, I’ve had a telephone interview and passed that so the next stage is a face-to-face interview, a couple of days induction course and then I’m up and running. Woohoo! (again)… or so I thought. :neutral_face:

I’m currently miles away from the interview location but was prepared to travel there as it sounded like a reasonable opportunity, and a chance to get out of the awful job I’m stuck in at the moment. :frowning:

Having had a little time to reflect on the information I was given during my telephone interview, and reading the threads about them on here, I don’t think I’ll be taking a chance on them.

I was told that average earnings are around £350 a week (gross), plus non-taxable allowances, e.g. - £29 night out money, 21p/mile travel expenses (for the first 50 miles and then 11p/mile thereafter). If they deem driving time to be 3 hours for a vehicle delivery then that’s what you get paid, whether it takes you 2 hours or, more likely, longer if you get held up in traffic. That really doesn’t seem fair to me, as it’s not my fault if there’s a problem on the roads that can’t be avoided. Especially at this time of year when roads are being closed due to bad weather conditions. (Look at the A1 earlier this week near Catterick).

The alarm bells in my head rang when I was told that there is ‘no guarantee of work’. WTF?! :angry: :exclamation: I’m being employed by a firm but then they say they can’t guarantee me any work. Sorry, but in my mind that’s just plain wrong. Either I’m an employee with a wage, or I’m self-employed. Not a combination of the two that solely benefits the employer. :imp: At least give me a basic wage and the chance to top it up! :unamused:

So I shall be sending them a polite e-mail to thank them for their time but let them know I will be unable to attend after all.

If anyone wants any more info about what I was told on the phone, I’m happy to pass on what I know via PM*. (I took plenty of notes at the time. :wink: )

*<edited to ease the Mods’ nerves> :wink: :grimacing:

eccles291:
If anyone wants any more info about what I was told on the phone, I’m happy to pass on what I know. (I took plenty of notes at the time. :wink: )

My advice is that requests for info and passing on what you know would be best done by PMs or emails, because the Mod/Admin team would only have to remove a lot of it as unverifiable hearsay if it’s posted publicly.

When it comes to info of this nature, PMs ARE the way to go. :wink:

dieseldave:

eccles291:
If anyone wants any more info about what I was told on the phone, I’m happy to pass on what I know. (I took plenty of notes at the time. :wink: )

My advice is that requests for info and passing on what you know would be best done by PMs or emails, because the Mod/Admin team would only have to remove a lot of it as unverifiable hearsay if it’s posted publicly.

Surely if Eccles had a certain conversation with someone and then post’s that on here then it’s not heresay is it■■?

dieseldave:

Sure, that’s no problem. Happy to answer in PMs if that’s what you’d prefer. I originally wrote “…PM me as I’m happy to pass on what I know”, but thought I’d change it as none of what I’d been told was ‘in confidence’. I was also careful only to say things that are in my opinion so as not to flout any posting guidelines. I totally understand what you’re saying though. :slight_smile:

bazza123:
Surely if Eccles had a certain conversation with someone and then post’s that on here then it’s not heresay is it■■?

I suppose it’s not heresay as I know it’s what I was told, but it’s not verifiable by anyone for certain so I understand the Mods being a little wary. I could easily say that “A.N. Other Company told me they were going bust/had massive debts etc.” but I could have a vendetta about A.N. Other Company and if it’s not verifiably backed up with documents etc. it could be viewed as being defamatory/libelous and this website could get into hot water about it. It’s fine though, I understand we have to be careful what’s said. :slight_smile:

eccles291:

bazza123:

I suppose it’s not heresay as I know it’s what I was told, but it’s not verifiable by anyone for certain so I understand the Mods being a little wary. I could easily say that “A.N. Other Company told me they were going bust/had massive debts etc.” but I could have a vendetta about A.N. Other Company and if it’s not verifiably backed up with documents etc. it could be viewed as being defamatory/libelous and this website could get into hot water about it. It’s fine though, I understand we have to be careful what’s said. :slight_smile:

Hi mate,

That’s exactly the reason for my advice earlier, and I’d like to thank you for your understanding.

bazza123:

dieseldave:

eccles291:

Sorry Bazza, but that’s exactly the definition of hearsay.

He said, she said etc etc, and all without anybody having any idea of whether any of it is actually true.

Some hearsay can be very damaging, and in some case it’s possible that a website could be sued for it.

dieseldave:

bazza123:

dieseldave:

eccles291:

He said, she said etc etc, and all without anybody having any idea of whether any of it is actually true.

Some hearsay can be very damaging, and in some case it’s possible that a website could be sued for it.

Sorry Dave but the definition on wiki is, to paraphrase, Information on things events etc gathered by one person from another about which they cannot verify.

But Eccles has not gathered it from someone else like MMTM, he has first hand info as he says he took notes. You say he ideally should not post conversations etc but allow him to write what he did which does not portray Uniloads in a good light, same as the OP.

This is a complete scam. Even the ■■■■■ on the phone was put there by this con artist so you could purposely get “caught” with it (file creation date rather than last view date not available?) so they’ve got you to deliver some motors to the other end of the country for free, calling that an assessment, and then can you off when you don’t even know the guys name, let alone where he lives.

The most I’m prepared to put in for “free” is a drive under my own steam to a local assessment where I expect to be driving around locally and done within a day. :sunglasses:

Driving some distance A to B requires that you have insurance, use a tacho, etc. which you should also be able to see on demand along with the Operator’s licence and name & address of the one giving you the orders. Since it’s all “verbal” and all! :neutral_face:

If the cabs were using Paper tachos, then they are of some age, and very likely there’s something unlawful about the vehicles too. It is illegal for anyone to take the original of a less-than 28 day old tacho from you I believe. :exclamation:

Verbal promises of money should not stop you from setting up a small claims event, which you don’t drop unless absolutely every penny even remotely promised you is paid cash to stop the action!
“Stop the action, and I’ll give you a monkey on friday” is NOT good enough! You’ll probably be palmed off with a dead primate and a smack in the mouth from his ■■■■■ mates that’ll likely be there to back him up. :angry:

Without that tacho however, it is going to be very hard to prove in court that these crooks owe you any money at all.
I would imagine that their main line of work is shifting the cabs that pull fairground rides from one place to another, to get around getting them MOTed on a regular basis. If Mr ■■■■■ has a cousin who owns a garage/breakers yard etc. then it’s too easy to produce fake MOT’s for old bent motors, so perhaps some attention can be drawn of your suspicions during any dealings you may have with authorities. :astonished:

Red diesel in the road vehicles is also a common ■■■■■ practice. They filter it through Sodium Sulphate (Fuller’s Earth) to take the dye out, but I understand there’s still a chemical additive in there that C&E/VOSA would pick up if they “dipped your tanks” and found colourless but the wrong diesel in there! Guess who gets the blame firstmost? Yup, muggins at the wheel who is very likely completely oblivious of what’s going on! :frowning:

I reckon not enough checks are made at the operator licence end of things to stop bent yards from operating in the first place. If reporting a yard known to be bent, it is best to contact a larger police force outside the area, thus bypassing anyone at the local copshop who might otherwise be on the payroll. You don’t want the boys coming around one night soon after you’ve dropped the sky on them do you? :open_mouth:

bazza123:

dieseldave:

bazza123:

dieseldave:

eccles291:

Sorry Dave but the definition on wiki is, to paraphrase, Information on things events etc gathered by one person from another about which they cannot verify.

But Eccles has not gathered it from someone else like MMTM, he has first hand info as he says he took notes. You say he ideally should not post conversations etc but allow him to write what he did which does not portray Uniloads in a good light, same as the OP.

Bazza,

The info about the “no guarantee of work” is public knowledge, agencies also say the same thing.

This is from the Forum Rules

We will remove any gossip that is found to have no foundation in truth, to protect us,the poster and the company concerned.

Anyway, if you want the juicy details, then why not PM for them?
Alternatively, you could ask the question about hearsay ( = gossip) in the Feedback forum to save derailing this topic.

Winseer:
If the cabs were using Paper tachos, then they are of some age, and very likely there’s something unlawful about the vehicles too. It is illegal for anyone to take the original of a less-than 28 day old tacho from you I believe. :exclamation:

The original post was from 2006. :wink:

Sorry all, not meaning to derail topic just trying to clarify something.

Sorry, which bit got removed? The tachos bit (I missed the part about this being an old thread!) or all of it?

I do hope denounciations of firms that clearly operate outside the law, and use ignorance & lack of law knowledge to get away with it can be made as often as possible.

I can’t be considered biased in any way, I’m looking mainly at the total lies in the advertising that allow them to “employ” people for less than the minimum wage per hour worked, which is illegal.
There is nothing in their website (also 2006 it seems) that states you only get paid for the time you are driving the vehicle being delivered. Allowing drivers to operate in this fashion is outside the WTD because you could be on the go for 22 hours a day, only drive 3, get paid 3, and have the rest of your working day not showing on any tacho. One would have to effectively sack yourself at the first hurdle to avoid being prosecuted by VOSA.

bazza123:

But surely it ‘Eccles’ HEARED someone on the phone SAY something, by it’s very definition, it’s “hear say”!!

Ross.

HGV 1 AND 2 DRIVER
Vacancy from
Job No:DCG/46851
SOC Code:8211

Wage £7.40 - £7.72 PER HOUR DEPENDING ON LICENCE
Hours 40 HOURS PER WEEK, MONDAY TO FRIDAY, BETWEEN 8AM - 6PM
Location DONCASTER, SOUTH YORKSHIRE DN1
DurationPermanent
Date posted 15 February 2012
Pension details Pension available
Description
We recruit nationally. Applicants must hold a valid full driving licence. Duties will include collecting and delivering a range of vehicles throughout the UK. This will involve staying away from home for an average of 3 nights per week, for which a tax-free allowance will be paid. Interviews will take place in Doncaster. Applications online only. Telephone calls will not be taken under any circumstances.
How to apply
You can apply for this job by visiting uniloads.co.ukOpens new window (unless Javascript disabled) and following the instructions on the webpage.
Employer
Uniloads Ltd

PinkLadyTrucker:
HGV 1 AND 2 DRIVER
Vacancy from
Job No:DCG/46851
SOC Code:8211

Wage £7.40 - £7.72 PER HOUR DEPENDING ON LICENCE
Hours 40 HOURS PER WEEK, MONDAY TO FRIDAY, BETWEEN 8AM - 6PM
Location DONCASTER, SOUTH YORKSHIRE DN1
DurationPermanent
Date posted 15 February 2012
Pension details Pension available
Description
We recruit nationally. Applicants must hold a valid full driving licence. Duties will include collecting and delivering a range of vehicles throughout the UK. This will involve staying away from home for an average of 3 nights per week, for which a tax-free allowance will be paid. Interviews will take place in Doncaster. Applications online only. Telephone calls will not be taken under any circumstances.
How to apply
You can apply for this job by visiting uniloads.co.ukOpens new window (unless Javascript disabled) and following the instructions on the webpage.
Employer
Uniloads Ltd

Link:-
uniloads.co.uk/careers_training.htm

I have just finished working for this VERY strange company and i would advise people to steer clear, as i know how they treat drivers. This company does not pay (wages) very well, but expenses can be good, if you can get the work and dont have to pay for hire cars and fuel for getting to and from jobs. Dont let others fall into this as they will soon figure out why!

roadhog0069:
I have just finished working for this VERY strange company and i would advise people to steer clear, as i know how they treat drivers. This company does not pay (wages) very well, but expenses can be good, if you can get the work and dont have to pay for hire cars and fuel for getting to and from jobs. Dont let others fall into this as they will soon figure out why!

roadhog0069,

i used to work for this company and would confirm what you and everyone has said about uniloads. all in all most of the tradeplate companies are very similar in the way they operate and the way they treat drivers.if someone is very good at this sort of work they penilise that person by sending them to all the crap/difficult places knowing that the person concerned would have the knowhow to get there via public transport or own steam ie hitching.
i have worked as a trade plate driver in total for about 10 years for different firms. i considered myself a being very good at it.
there are some great people that trade plate,and it can be rewarding sometimes. the office bods have no idea of what its like to say get out of bruntingthorpe airfield or similar places without transport.i got out last year and dont regret it. another thing is at uniloads the people that train you have never done the job or when they did were crap at it
rant over off to work now

I was told during my training that what is said on here is not true, that was the first lie told to me by Uniloads. You will be left stranded any-where in the Uk, Felixstowe was an easy place to get home from, must thank again the driver picking us up got me back up to Wigan!!! got lucky that day!!! as National express would take some 10 and a half hours!!! Uniloads will not pay for trains as too expensive for them nor will they pay for a hire car unless it is of a benefit to them, i.e you travel the country collecting other stranded drivers again possible for you to take 10 hours to do so, you will be paying for use of hire car as deductions are made from your expenses to cover these costs, you do not get paid for your time in hire car. Felixstowe is one of many places I was left to get out of another favourite was Bridgewater which was deemed ok to leave me at. Living in the North West and being stuck South East or South West is just typical for a Friday, job done now get home…Last days with Uniloads as follows. Collect a Tractor Unit in Bamber Bridge deliver to Bruntingthorpe, back to Bamber Bridge in hire car collect again, night out in Brunt in sleeper cab with no night heater!!! Walk out of Brunt, Yes walk 6.8 miles to nearest train station please Google Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome, nightmare to get out of and the office know this!!! get hounded on my walk “what time will you make next collection” get train to Nuneaton collect 18t rigid for delivery into Ipswich, get advised next job cancelled because I,m late and to night out in Ipswich after delivery!!! Thats at my expense then, but you do get 29quid towards cost of B&B, decide screw this turn 18t rigid round and head North phoning office to advise them I was doing so receive 5 or 6 calls asking me not to do so and with promises of this that and other. Drop off 18t MAN at office in Warrington and head home to Southport. Yes they will know this post is me, nice one Loonyloads. Any work anyone■■? LoL

SouthportC2:
decide screw this turn 18t rigid round and head North phoning office to advise them I was doing so receive 5 or 6 calls asking me not to do so and with promises of this that and other. Drop off 18t MAN at office in Warrington and head home to Southport. Yes they will know this post is me, nice one Loonyloads. Any work anyone■■? LoL

+1

Would do the same