uniloads

hi all
anybody know if uniloads have got any better ■■
done a search but the results seem to be going back to 2006

thanks in advance for relevant comments

I usually end up getting trucks delivered by a Polish driver who cannot speak English. But recently more English drivers working for them.

No idea what they are like to work for, I only deal with them on the phone and whoever delivers the truck.

well I guess either no body knows or there just as bad still
many thanks for looking anyway :slight_smile:

I had a job offer from them - 7 per hour of driving and some silly pennies per mile of hitchhiking…

I wasn’t as desperate for work… :slight_smile:

Hi Guys
Joined up because I am actually a Unloads driver and to be honest the job is ok but the planning department are absoulute crap!!! They seem to think that the Isle of Wight is in Scotland, apparently in planning they dont even have a map on the wall!! The team leaders are ok except Tony who is as much use as a chocolate teapot, but their hands are tied by planning who basically run the show and boy do they know it as they think they are god.If you wish to do plating go to BCA who from what I have heard are a lot better.Dont make the mistake of going to Uniloads :confused:

Yer I used to work for them
Not very nice people to work for that is the office staff
Arrogant as if they new it all and we where all thick

loonyloadsdriver:
apparently in planning they dont even have a map on the wall!!

That right they dont have a map and cant work out how long you will be coz there to busy with there sill little computer screen
The scotch man who was there though it was going to take me 2 hours to do Bristol to London and refused to believe me when I told him the real time coz he cant read a map right

And then there was there stupid little computer thingy for doing your jobs on
Gave you one and a car charger for it, but the end of the charger socket inside the mobile device was all wobbly due to the charger socket being a different socket to the cig lighter
I was in the office once and tried to explain that a square peg dose not fit in a round hole
But the scotch man refused to listen or look and said its all my fault and I have broke it and everyone ells are OK
he rely ■■■■■■ me off that time

But the company did not care a dam about you, you where stuck with out accommodation and ring there night number up and they would tell you sort it out your self even though the company made a boo boo on the last job
There was this snooty cow from the office (black hear glass) answering the phone on night call telling me your out there in the middle of nowhere and im tucked up in bed hear your in a much better position to sort it then I am
Once she called me a liar over the phone for not ring up one of the other drivers when the number they gave me was wrong
I went to blows with her that night calling her every name under the sun and that was me done

They are advertising in the job centre for unto 9 quid an hour
But in the job description they don’t even mention any thing about trade plates
That’s how devious minded they are
Would I go back; would I fly
I rather catch the dole office

loonyloadsdriver:
Hi Guys
Joined up because I am actually a Unloads driver and to be honest the job is ok but the planning department are absoulute crap!!! They seem to think that the Isle of Wight is in Scotland, apparently in planning they dont even have a map on the wall!! The team leaders are ok except Tony who is as much use as a chocolate teapot, but their hands are tied by planning who basically run the show and boy do they know it as they think they are god.If you wish to do plating go to BCA who from what I have heard are a lot better.Dont make the mistake of going to Uniloads :confused:

Make up your mind! You start by saying the job is OK then finish with "Don’t make the mistake of going to Uniloads! Which is it?

44 Tonne Ton:
Make up your mind! You start by saying the job is OK then finish with "Don’t make the mistake of going to Uniloads! Which is it?

I think he means that this kind of job is OK but not with that company.

Sounds like little has changed since 1995 - although I believe they don’t have anything like the volume of work they did then.

Vehicles left out for collection at night, but forgot to leave the keys, etc. etc.

Sitting waiting at the last delivery for several hours whilst they try to find a follow on job. Unable to accept kindly offered lifts out because you don’t know what direction you’re going. etc. etc.

Keeps you fit as lots of walking - in all weathers.
Good for experience for newbies as you get to drive a large variety of makes, gearboxes, axle configurations & body types.

Had a devils own job to get paid up everything they owed me when I left.

Do they still charge for uniform? I started with them years ago. Did 3 days then they told me I had to wear their uniform and I had to pay for it. It was at this point I went home and didn’t come back.

Whats a black hear glass?

I was trying to work that out best I could come up with is

Black Haired Lass ?

Do i win ■■

lord_screaming_sutch:

:bulb:

toowise:
I was trying to work that out best I could come up with is

Black Haired Lass ?

Do i win ■■

Yes I did wonder if he had a voice operated keyboard and a speech impediment :stuck_out_tongue:

wow that was a close shave … thanks but no thanks :open_mouth:

lord_screaming_sutch:
Yer I used to work for them
Not very nice people to work for that is the office staff

loonyloadsdriver:
apparently in planning they dont even have a map on the wall!!

That right they dont have a map and cant work out how long you will be coz there to busy with there sill little computer screen
The scotch man who was there though it was going to take me 2 hours to do Bristol to London and refused to believe me when I told him the real time coz he cant read a map right

And then there was there stupid little computer thingy for doing your jobs on
Gave you one and a car charger for it, but the end of the charger socket inside the mobile device was all wobbly due to the charger socket being a different socket to the cig lighter
I was in the office once and tried to explain that a square peg dose not fit in a round hole
But the scotch man refused to listen or look and said its all my fault and I have broke it and everyone ells are OK
he rely ■■■■■■ me off that time

But the company did not care a dam about you, you where stuck with out accommodation and ring there night number up and they would tell you sort it out your self even though the company made a boo boo on the last job
There was this snooty cow from the office (black hear glass) answering the phone on night call telling me your out there in the middle of nowhere and im tucked up in bed hear your in a much better position to sort it then I am
Once she called me a liar over the phone for not ring up one of the other drivers when the number they gave me was wrong
I went to blows with her that night calling her every name under the sun and that was me done

They are advertising in the job centre for unto 9 quid an hour
But in the job description they don’t even mention any thing about trade plates
That’s how devious minded they are
Would I go back; would I fly
I rather catch the dole office

+1 im a ex employee of them and i would never EVER want anyone to work for them i’d rather have my balls chopped off. I hated that firm and the way they do things. I mean look at their web site its years out of date and looks like it was created by a kid.

Steer clear - you will end up paying to work for them!! it is the most unprofessional company I have ever had the misfortune to work for and I do not know how they get away with the things they do.

Recruitment - they will take anyone on because they have a high turnover of staff. They lose probably between 10 and 15 drivers every week. This is due to the job not being as described or what they don’t tell you at interview.

What they don’t tell you:

• Pay rates - these differ depending on the area you live. For example someone from the northwest would get £7.20 per hour yet someone living in Yorkshire would get £6.20 per hour.
  • You are only paid for the time you are driving which is worked out on the shortest route so if you get stuck in traffic it’s tough.
  • You will spend a large proportion of your time sat in a hire car squashed up with other drivers (think 4 drivers plus their rucksacks in a Chevrolet matiz!) and you will not get paid for the privilege. Hire car journeys vary but an example would be Nottingham to Edinburgh (that’s a long drive without pay)
  • They advertise that lgv drivers earn an average of £350 per week which is rubbish. Most weeks you will be lucky to scrape £200 before tax.
  • They deduct £22.50 each week for 10 weeks for deposit for your equipment. You get this back when you leave but 22.50 is a lot of money when you’re on less than £200 a week as it is.
  • If you’re a hgv driver just don’t bother. You will get 2 hgv jobs a week if you’re lucky. The rest of the time you will be driving cars and vans, therefore you will be paid less than for driving hgvs.
  • Most days you will have one 2 hour job yet you will regularly work 12-15 hour days and just be paid for your 2 hours.
  • They pay a hitch allowance of around 21p per mile to get you between jobs. Most places you can’t hitch anyway so will end up getting public transport. You will then be in an argument with the office as to whether they will authorise your expenses and have to wait whilst they make their mind up. If the expense isn’t authorised it won’t be paid, leaving you out of pocket and if someone in the office forgets to log that it was authorised you also won’t be reimbursed.
  • You will often be left in the middle of nowhere and if you ask for help you will be told to hitch! Coz it’s just that easy when you’ve just dropped in the middle of a field!
  • They have now put a blanket ban on finding and paying for accommodation if you need to night out. You have a £29 allowance with which to pay for accommodation. Try finding a b and b these days for £29. You’re £29 isn’t paid until the following week so you are continually having to live off your wage just to go to work. I know drivers who have slept on park benches and in train stations.
  • They will provide you will a ridiculous fuel allowance which is always nowhere near enough. Again if you need more you need to ring the office for authorisation and again you will have to wait whilst they make their mind up. If you add fuel without auth you will be in for disciplinary, if you run out of fuel you will be in for disciplinary.
  • You will be disciplined for anything and everything and continually questioned about everything you do.
    If you lose any equipment you will be charged.
  • You will wait anything up to 45 minutes to get through to the office and they will then get you off the phone as quick as they can.
  • You will often be left in the middle of nowhere on a Friday afternoon. It is not unusual for a Manchester driver to find himself in Colchester at 5pm on a Friday and told to make their way home. Some weekends it can be gone midnight by the time you get home and again you don’t get paid for this.
  • These are just a few of the things I can think of. The office staff fall into 2 groups — those who can’t be bothered and those who think they own the place. They will continually talk down to you and threaten disciplinary action if you disagree with them. No matter how ridiculous a job is (e.g. hitch 50 miles to do a 5 mile job) you can’t refuse to do it or you will be in for disciplinary. Some of the staff seems to take great pleasure in doing this. It is run by a stuck up ops manager who doesn’t have a clue (I was actually privileged enough to speak to her face to face after I complained, not that it did any good, she just wasn’t interested and talking to a driver was beneath her)
    All they care about is getting the job done; they don’t give a toss about the drivers and have no idea about duty of care. Believe me you seriously will be better off on the dole and waiting for something else than working for this bunch of incompetent fools, really do not know how they get away with the things they do.

truthbetold:
Steer clear - you will end up paying to work for them!! it is the most unprofessional company I have ever had the misfortune to work for and I do not know how they get away with the things they do.

Recruitment - they will take anyone on because they have a high turnover of staff. They lose probably between 10 and 15 drivers every week. This is due to the job not being as described or what they don’t tell you at interview.

What they don’t tell you:

• Pay rates - these differ depending on the area you live. For example someone from the northwest would get £7.20 per hour yet someone living in Yorkshire would get £6.20 per hour.
  • You are only paid for the time you are driving which is worked out on the shortest route so if you get stuck in traffic it’s tough.
  • You will spend a large proportion of your time sat in a hire car squashed up with other drivers (think 4 drivers plus their rucksacks in a Chevrolet matiz!) and you will not get paid for the privilege. Hire car journeys vary but an example would be Nottingham to Edinburgh (that’s a long drive without pay)
  • They advertise that lgv drivers earn an average of £350 per week which is rubbish. Most weeks you will be lucky to scrape £200 before tax.
  • They deduct £22.50 each week for 10 weeks for deposit for your equipment. You get this back when you leave but 22.50 is a lot of money when you’re on less than £200 a week as it is.
  • If you’re a hgv driver just don’t bother. You will get 2 hgv jobs a week if you’re lucky. The rest of the time you will be driving cars and vans, therefore you will be paid less than for driving hgvs.
  • Most days you will have one 2 hour job yet you will regularly work 12-15 hour days and just be paid for your 2 hours.
  • They pay a hitch allowance of around 21p per mile to get you between jobs. Most places you can’t hitch anyway so will end up getting public transport. You will then be in an argument with the office as to whether they will authorise your expenses and have to wait whilst they make their mind up. If the expense isn’t authorised it won’t be paid, leaving you out of pocket and if someone in the office forgets to log that it was authorised you also won’t be reimbursed.
  • You will often be left in the middle of nowhere and if you ask for help you will be told to hitch! Coz it’s just that easy when you’ve just dropped in the middle of a field!
  • They have now put a blanket ban on finding and paying for accommodation if you need to night out. You have a £29 allowance with which to pay for accommodation. Try finding a b and b these days for £29. You’re £29 isn’t paid until the following week so you are continually having to live off your wage just to go to work. I know drivers who have slept on park benches and in train stations.
  • They will provide you will a ridiculous fuel allowance which is always nowhere near enough. Again if you need more you need to ring the office for authorisation and again you will have to wait whilst they make their mind up. If you add fuel without auth you will be in for disciplinary, if you run out of fuel you will be in for disciplinary.
  • You will be disciplined for anything and everything and continually questioned about everything you do.
    If you lose any equipment you will be charged.
  • You will wait anything up to 45 minutes to get through to the office and they will then get you off the phone as quick as they can.
  • You will often be left in the middle of nowhere on a Friday afternoon. It is not unusual for a Manchester driver to find himself in Colchester at 5pm on a Friday and told to make their way home. Some weekends it can be gone midnight by the time you get home and again you don’t get paid for this.
  • These are just a few of the things I can think of. The office staff fall into 2 groups — those who can’t be bothered and those who think they own the place. They will continually talk down to you and threaten disciplinary action if you disagree with them. No matter how ridiculous a job is (e.g. hitch 50 miles to do a 5 mile job) you can’t refuse to do it or you will be in for disciplinary. Some of the staff seems to take great pleasure in doing this. It is run by a stuck up ops manager who doesn’t have a clue (I was actually privileged enough to speak to her face to face after I complained, not that it did any good, she just wasn’t interested and talking to a driver was beneath her)
    All they care about is getting the job done; they don’t give a toss about the drivers and have no idea about duty of care. Believe me you seriously will be better off on the dole and waiting for something else than working for this bunch of incompetent fools, really do not know how they get away with the things they do.

Lol

The bit that interests me is the hitching allowance at 21ppm, that sounds like a good earner if you get a lift from Glasgow to Hull or something :stuck_out_tongue:

The government rate for a car is 45ppm and you have to supply the car, fuel and insurance for that.

My brother used a bloke who had retired, he had a bus pass and free rail travel, he loved it, he had one job every year to Scotland, when he had a return car he used to go salmon fishing for a week :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, and I mean Wow

After reading that lot (I don’t want to quote all that again) I’m not surprised some of the blokes from that site in Leighton Buzzard wanted to go back again.

The real world just sounds so ■■■■■■■ awful sometimes. I’ll just stick to driving my truck and hope to God that I never have to work in conditions like that.

W