Speeding

Thought that would make your ears prick up.

There have been new cameras put up in glenfield and I think they may have got me on a couple of occasions, nothing excessive, perhaps 44/45 in a 40 zone. How long will it be until I get the penalty notice?

If you’re lucky you won’t; guidelines for prosecution are 10% + 2mph, so in a 40 limit you’d need to exceed 46mph to attract a prosecution. That said, these are guidelines only. Furthermore, if you haven’t received any points in the last 3 years you may well be offered a speed awareness course instead. Generally speaking you’re notified either way in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would that speed awareness course cover the 2/3 incidents? Or would it be speed awareness for 1 and prosecuted for the others? 2 incidents were going to work, then coming back in the same day and one possible going to work a couple of days later.

I only spotted the camera tonight, I was just keeping up with the flow of traffic. So they have got a fair few.

I fell fowl to that recently. Different area but got me 3 times in the space of 7 days, couldn’t do a thing as I’d been caught 3 times before I knew anything about it …not a happy puppy but hey ho! Tried lawyers and going cap in hand…not interested.
Sorry in not the bearer of a happier story

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Don’t think points for speeding mean anything these days.
Your always hearing about somone who’s got 20 30.40.points for speeding yet they plead poverty and are allowed to still drive

johnteller:
Would that speed awareness course cover the 2/3 incidents? Or would it be speed awareness for 1 and prosecuted for the others? 2 incidents were going to work, then coming back in the same day and one possible going to work a couple of days later.

I only spotted the camera tonight, I was just keeping up with the flow of traffic. So they have got a fair few.

I’m no lawyer but my understanding is that each incident is treated individually. Wait & see, you might be lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnteller:

There have been new cameras put up in glenfield and I think they may have got me on a couple of occasions, nothing excessive, perhaps 44/45 in a 40 zone. How long will it be until I get the penalty notice?

Think they have to tell you within 14 days, you will have a few sleepless nights to come …

a ‘friend’ went through a red light about a year back, the last few days of the fortnight wait are the worst, nothing arrived but paid dues ten times over in sleepless nights .
(lollipop lass on a school crossing, she guided a couple of kids over and when she was safely back on the pavement, and no one else about to cross, slowly and carefully trundled over the crossing, dashcam showed the driving to be impeccable, apart for the red light …oop’s)

after getting caught n done twice i joined this very forum in the search for yhe sat nav that spoke loudly a repeating warning if im speeding. i then ease off once i hear the warning voice. the chinese satnav XGODY has saved me no end of times particularly when im on a clear road with no other traffic

You have to be sent a notice of intended prosecution within 14 days of the alleged offence. If it’s outside of that time frame it’s not legal for it to be taken any further. So put a reminder on your calendar for 14 days from when you think you got caught. If nothing comes in the post by the 14th day then your ok.

A notice of intended prosecution is only them asking the registered keeper to say who was driving at the time of the offence. Once they know that then they decide what to do, ie offer if a course, points and fine, or straight to court etc

Rowley010:
You have to be sent a notice of intended prosecution within 14 days of the alleged offence. If it’s outside of that time frame it’s not legal for it to be taken any further.

No, the registered keeper has to be. If it was in his employers vehicle then his employer has to get it within 14 days. As long as that happens then it can take them a few months to send the named driver a NIP.

Re: Speeding

by corij » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 am

after getting caught n done twice i joined this very forum in the search for yhe sat nav that spoke loudly a repeating warning if im speeding. i then ease off once i hear the warning voice. the chinese satnav XGODY has saved me no end of times particularly when im on a clear road with no other traffic

You need a satnav to control your self.couldnt make it up could you :unamused:

Rowley010:
A notice of intended prosecution is only them asking the registered keeper to say who was driving at the time of the offence. Once they know that then they decide what to do, ie offer if a course, points and fine, or straight to court etc

No, they are two separate things (even though they will often be sent together or even on the same sheet of paper.

A Notice of Intended Prosecution must be served on the registered keeper within 14 days of the alleged offence. Its purpose is to bring the possibility of Prosecution to the keeper’s attention while the incident is relatively fresh in his mind. A formal requirement to Name the Driver is a separate thing and can be served on any person whom the police believe may be able to provide this information. There is no 14 day limit on this notice, and there may well be a “chain” of these where company or leased vehicles are involved.

Although it is not a legal requirement, most police forces send out a NIP with each Name the Driver request, even though several weeks may have elapsed.

Mine took 3 week to come via two companys.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

johnteller:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF ITS 2 OR 3 from the same camera you could always let them take you to court,and tell the beak you were only speeding the once,you just didnt ever slow down??

Roymondo:

Rowley010:

No, they are two separate things (even though they will often be sent together or even on the same sheet of paper.

A Notice of Intended Prosecution must be served on the registered keeper within 14 days of the alleged offence. Its purpose is to bring the possibility of Prosecution to the keeper’s attention while the incident is relatively fresh in his mind. A formal requirement to Name the Driver is a separate thing and can be served on any person whom the police believe may be able to provide this information. There is no 14 day limit on this notice, and there may well be a “chain” of these where company or leased vehicles are involved.

Although it is not a legal requirement, most police forces send out a NIP with each Name the Driver request, even though several weeks may have elapsed.

No I think your misunderstanding what I said. But in a nutshell, the police have 14 days to prosecute and a NIP has to be sent within this time or they can’t. They can’t prosecute for a speeding offence 28 days ago unless the NIP has been sent within the 14.

The OPs question is how long does it take to see if you’ve been done or not. Answer is the police have 14 days. Nothing received within 14 days from the offence then it’s not legal for them to peruse it. This is what the law states.

Sources:

1/ previous experience
2/ gov.uk/speeding-penalties
3/ motoringoffencelawyers.com/ … osecution/

Rowley010:
No I think your misunderstanding what I said. But in a nutshell, the police have 14 days to prosecute and a NIP has to be sent within this time or they can’t. They can’t prosecute for a speeding offence 28 days ago unless the NIP has been sent within the 14.

Actually if the 14 days isn’t challenged then they can. If it arrives after 14 days and it isn’t your vehicle you need the co-operation of the registered keeper to get it quashed in this case. That would require your employer to be willing to stand up in court if needs be and state that they didn’t receive the notice in 14 days. Given how shoddy some internal admin procedures are in some companies there is unlikely to be a single person in that organisation willing to do that. If the vehicle is a spot hire one your company is using then it needs the co-operation of the hire company to do the same and I can guarantee you the chances of that happening are sod all.

dieseldog999:

johnteller:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF ITS 2 OR 3 from the same camera you could always let them take you to court,and tell the beak you were only speeding the once,you just didnt ever slow down??

Thanks for that pal! I needed a good laugh, and I really did have one at that.

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding, it wasn’t in a company vehicle, it was on my way to work and back, in my personal car… or what is infinitely worse, the car is registered to my wife… and I haven’t told her yet!

I’m hoping for a custodial sentence! That way I avoid the flak!

Conor:

Rowley010:

Actually if the 14 days isn’t challenged then they can. If it arrives after 14 days and it isn’t your vehicle you need the co-operation of the registered keeper to get it quashed in this case. That would require your employer to be willing to stand up in court if needs be and state that they didn’t receive the notice in 14 days. Given how shoddy some internal admin procedures are in some companies there is unlikely to be a single person in that organisation willing to do that. If the vehicle is a spot hire one your company is using then it needs the co-operation of the hire company to do the same and I can guarantee you the chances of that happening are sod all.

Yes it would be up to you to prove you didn’t receive the NIP in the 14 days, but as long as you can you wouldn’t even need a lawyer. It’s black and white the law states it’s has to have been received within 14 days from the offence.

Rowley010:
Yes it would be up to you to prove you didn’t receive the NIP in the 14 days, but as long as you can you wouldn’t even need a lawyer. It’s black and white the law states it’s has to have been received within 14 days from the offence.

Er - No it does not! The law states that it must be “served” within 14 days, then goes on to give specific examples of circumstances when it might not actually be received but would still be regarded as having been served, and then further goes on to detail circumstances in which the NIP might not be served (or even sent) within 14 days and yet the conviction would still stand.

why dont you just let her take the points for you as the registered keeper then?
unless she earns more than you and you fancy a spell as a house husband?
if its registered to her,and she just pays the fine itl not turn into a murder enquiry .
surely she cant remember if she was driving it at the time and place or where she was a few weeks ago?
they serve it in 12 days and you are deemed to have received it within 14 even though its not registered or signed for.
it dont work that way when you send them mail and they say you didnt send it though.
the pics from the cameras are generally poor quality,moreso if its taken from the rear,they can basically never identify the driver, its just call my bluff time.