Speed camera

I don’t know hence why I am asking you lot, maybe a TNIK nerd could help.

These cameras, how strict are they? I think I did a 32 in a 30.

You can do upto 35 in a 30, 36 and you get done

It all depends on where you are and the safety camera partnership which operates them.

32 in a 30 - my advice would be start looking at selling your house as your car insurance will rocket, your boss will sack you and your wife will leave you.

Or you could just go and enjoy the sun and crack open a beer on a Friday afternoon and not worry about it. If you get a ticket for 32 in a 30 I’ll pay the fine.
They will allow a certain tolerance and remember a speedo is allowed to overread but never underread. In all likely hood you weren’t even doing 32.

rearaxle:

Typical TruckNet crock of [zb].

My wife has three points on her licence for being recorded at 34mph in a 30mph zone.

I think the normal practice is to either pay the £60 fine and get 3 points on your licence, or pay £90 for a few hours driving course and no points on your licence. I think you’ll be fine though.

If you are offered the speed awareness course take that option,it will work out cheaper in the long run.Your car insurance will rise by more than £100.00 also you have to tell your boss and the Traffic Commissioner as well.We all know its a scam but the Government really need your money.

alamcculloch:
If you are offered the speed awareness course take that option,it will work out cheaper in the long run.Your car insurance will rise by more than £100.00 also you have to tell your boss and the Traffic Commissioner as well.We all know its a scam but the Government really need your money.

How many people tell the Traffic Commissioner when they’ve been caught speeding? I’ve been done a few times in the past decade, and never once considered wasting his time over such a menial thing as getting caught a few mph over the speed limit.

mickyblue:

Location?

What type?

Gatso, Truvelo, Mobile, Specs…

Ken.

mickyblue:

It’s very unlikely that you’d get done for doing 32 mph in a 30 mph limit.

If it’s a Gatso you’re usually allowed 10% + 2 mph as a safety margin, so you would not usually be done for anything less than 35 mph.

The 10% + 2 mph is not law but a guideline the authorities usually seem to abide by.

A56 outside the gorse hill pub on the way to old Trafford football ground, will go off at 31 mph :laughing: you’ve been WARNED! And it doesn’t answer back :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

try it and let us all know the result :slight_smile:
sure we will all chip in :wink:

Oh come on guys FFS! Even Micky himself must’ve been expecting the flack regarding his previous employment. You know, the secret handshake, the get out of jail free card etc soooo disappointing!

Btw Micky, for what it’s worth you’ve got nowt to fret about, 32 on your speedo probably wasn’t even 30 in reality.

The last time that I was tugged the nice VOSA man said that any license points had to be reported to the T.C.The tea and biccies would appear to be optional.

Zero tolerance in most cases, if you are over 30mph or whatever the designated speed limit you will have a letter notifying you.
I think the fine has gone up to £100 recently and three points, which you can save by doing the speed awareness course if available in your area.

Contraflow:

rearaxle:

My wife has three points on her licence for being recorded at 34mph in a 30mph zone.

I got the same 34 in a 30 just a moments lack of concentration going down a hill and let it run on, thank you very much west mercia police

if you’ve got a clean licence then don’t believe the rubbish your car insurance will rocket - i got 3 points last year and my insurance went up by a whole £9

alamcculloch:
The last time that I was tugged the nice VOSA man said that any license points had to be reported to the T.C.

They do indeed but how many drivers actually do though in reality?

Contraflow:

rearaxle:

I have a clean licence now but god clocked the same by a gun he took off 10% speedo inaccuracy and put 31 on my ticket, nice off him that.

Karl86:
I have a clean licence now but god clocked the same by a gun he took off 10% speedo inaccuracy and put 31 on my ticket, nice off him that.

Interesting. So what was the actual gun clocked speed?

(Just trying to fathom out how he worked it out to 31. I didn’t know officers were allowed to write any speed they think on the ticket which does not tally with what the gun actually recorded.)

I think if I was that close, I’d be asking to see that day’s calibration ticket for the gun.

mickyblue:

You should be ok. Guidance to police from the assoc of chief police officers as prosecute only when speed exceeds 10% + 2 mph:

Speed Enforcement
The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) has issued speed enforcement policy guidance, which suggests that enforcement will normally occur when a driver exceeds the speed limit by a particular margin. This is normally 10 per cent over the speed limit plus 2 mph. It also sets guidelines for when it would not be appropriate to issue a fixed penalty notice but to issue a summons instead (see below). Note that these are guidelines and that a police officer has discretion to act outside of them providing he acts fairly, consistently and proportionately.

Speed limit: 20 mph
ACPO charging threshold: 24 mph
Summons: 35 mph

Speed limit: 30 mph
ACPO charging threshold: 35 mph
Summons: 50 mph

Speed limit: 40 mph
ACPO charging threshold: 46 mph
Summons: 66 mph

Speed limit: 50 mph
ACPO charging threshold: 57 mph
Summons: 76 mph