Been caught speeding

hello all,sorry my first post is for advice but did’nt want to post anything up until i got a job.normal thing 2years exp.anyway i have been caught doing 41mph in a thirty.i was leaving witney on my way to avonmouth when i saw the sign for 30 but it was to late a mobile camera was hidden behind a cottage.lack of experience and local knowlege i know but what should i expect ?

cheers paul

Too fast for a Speed awareness course

3pts and £60

A Notice of Intended Prosecution sometime within the next 14 days if it’s your vehicle. If it’s the gaffers motor then it will go to him and you will receive your NIP some time later. 3 points and £60 fine is the norm or you might be offered a speed awareness course which will cost you slightly more but no points. Or you might be really lucky and hear nothing at all.

claretmatt:

3pts and £60

Really? Can you put up some more info on that?

Don’t sign it, bin it. And bin the next ones when resent till a registered letter arrives, don’t sign for it and blank the door if knocks, give it a few moon and you should be in the clear. :wink:

claretmatt:

3pts and £60

Not necessarily…i was done at 52mph(40 mph single carriageway for trucks) i already had 6 points,both for speeding and i was offered a speed awareness course,i was convinced that i was gonna get the points and fine and/or a trip to see the TC. :wink: …Top Tip:dont speed. :wink:

pavaroti:
Don’t sign it, bin it. And bin the next ones when resent till a registered letter arrives, don’t sign for it and blank the door if knocks, give it a few moon and you should be in the clear. :wink:

I have known people who had success with this approach. :wink:

44 Tonne Ton:

claretmatt:

3pts and £60

Really? Can you put up some more info on that?

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=34

Depends on the Police force, but as you can see the industry standard would seem to be 10% +6mph which means he would have needed to be doing 39 or less

And certainly Thames Valley, which I believe covers Witney, is 10%+6mph

44 Tonne Ton:

pavaroti:

I have known people who had success with this approach. :wink:

I did a few years ago, helped by the fact I moved house a few days after the NIP came through and did not update the details on the V5 for the car as quickly as I perhaps should have. :wink:

The ACPO recommended basic qualifying criteria are as follows:
the speed of the driver / rider makes them eligible for a Speed Awareness Course (ie not greater than limit +10%+9mph).
the driver / rider has NOT attended a Speed Awareness Course within the last 3 years,
the driver / rider must agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the offer of the Speed Awareness Course (including timescales for completion - typically 4 months from date of alleged offence).

Get it right mate! :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like he might get an offer…

pavaroti:

perhaps you can file it with your unpaid msa parking tickets :sunglasses:

44 Tonne Ton:

Get it right, back at ya

Who or what said 41 m.p.h.? If it was your speedo then it could well be a little bit less - they are not usually that accurate.

claretmatt:

44 Tonne Ton:

Get it right, back at ya

You have an interesting perspective on this… :stuck_out_tongue:

How so?

It’s a recommendation, not a requirement, rule or guideline. Individual forces are free to set their own tolerances, which as you can see they obviously do.

claretmatt:
How so?

It’s a recommendation, not a requirement, rule or guideline. Individual forces are free to set their own tolerances, which as you can see they obviously do.

Having read further down the article I can see that you are in fact correct in the figures you quote! I only looked at the ACPO guidelines at the top of the page and quoted that. :blush:

Speed awareness courses depend on the area. My wife asked to do a course instead of taking 3 points+£60, got told no, pay up and take the three points.
Cheers
Paul

gardun:
Who or what said 41 m.p.h.? If it was your speedo then it could well be a little bit less - they are not usually that accurate.

OP has evidently had NIP which states 41, reading by his first post.

I got pulled by a plod at same speed coming north out of Aberaeron back in 2008; flagged me down and during the ensueing conversation explained that up to 38 mph he had the option to give me a verbal warning, over that he had no choice other than to report me, as it’s logged on the camera’s memory. Got 3 points and £60 fine.

My advice is to pay up and take the points. I tried argueing the toss with one a few years ago, cost me 6 points and £200 fine for having the temerity to give the magistrates something to do.

If you get the option of the course then by all means take it if it keeps your licence clean. Might depend on whether you have any previous.

44 Tonne Ton:
the speed of the driver / rider makes them eligible for a Speed Awareness Course (ie not greater than limit +10%+9mph).
the driver / rider has NOT attended a Speed Awareness Course within the last 3 years,
the driver / rider must agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the offer of the Speed Awareness Course (including timescales for completion - typically 4 months from date of alleged offence).

Get it right mate! :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like he might get an offer…

Does it count towards DCPC :question: