Been caught speeding

There are different types of course:

Speed Awareness Workshop - Urban Roads: This workshop is available to drivers who have been caught doing between 35-39mph in a 30mph zone and 46-50mph in a 40mph zone. Classroom based the course lasts two and a half hours and costs £74 which is paid instead of the £60 fine and three penalty points.

Speed Awareness Workshop - Faster Roads: This is for driver’s detected doing between 57-61mph in a 50mph zone, between 68-72mph in a 60mph and between 79-83mph in a 70mph. The course is classroom based, lasts two and a half hours and costs £74, which is paid instead of the £60 fine and three penalty points.

Speed Awareness Course: This is for those drivers who are outside the speed awareness threshold, and for whom the usual course of action is a court summons. If they are less than 10mph over the threshold they may be invited to attend this course. It comprises of three hours in the classroom and two on the road and costs £94. The driver will still get a £60 fine and 3 penalty points but it means that they will not have to appear in court.

Red Light Camera Course: For drivers who have been caught Going Through a Red Light, this half-day theory based course runs for 3.5 hours. Those eligible will be contacted by the police once they have had their Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) and by agreeing to attend the course they agree to participate and successfully complete the course which includes:

Attendees to the course must:
Attend all of the theory sessions
Complete all course paperwork
Make a positive contribution to the course
Demonstrate a willingness to improve their driving

The course is provided by a team of specially trained Department for Transport Approved Driving Instructors, costs £60.00, and must be paid in full 3 weeks prior to attending. It can be taken as an alternative to penalty points.

Several authorities also operate workshops designed for people who have been caught out using their mobile phone while driving. The penalty for using a mobile phone while driving is three penalty points on your license, a fine of £60 - £1000 for private car drivers. Drivers can opt to take the workshop as an alternative to the both fine and the points.

gnasty gnome:

gardun:
Who or what said 41 m.p.h.? If it was your speedo then it could well be a little bit less - they are not usually that accurate.

OP has evidently had NIP which states 41, reading by his first post.

I got pulled by a plod at same speed coming north out of Aberaeron back in 2008; flagged me down and during the ensueing conversation explained that up to 38 mph he had the option to give me a verbal warning, over that he had no choice other than to report me, as it’s logged on the camera’s memory. Got 3 points and £60 fine.

My advice is to pay up and take the points. I tried argueing the toss with one a few years ago, cost me 6 points and £200 fine for having the temerity to give the magistrates something to do.

If you get the option of the course then by all means take it if it keeps your licence clean. Might depend on whether you have any previous.

Is to bend over and take it. :stuck_out_tongue: Theres always goody two shoes to keep the system rolling, but they pay the price. Bin it, don’t sign it and keep your all important licence clean. Live like a cowboy or die like an indian. :bulb: 3pts now could add up to a bann later on. :bulb:

pavaroti:

gnasty gnome:

gardun:
Who or what said 41 m.p.h.? If it was your speedo then it could well be a little bit less - they are not usually that accurate.

OP has evidently had NIP which states 41, reading by his first post.

I got pulled by a plod at same speed coming north out of Aberaeron back in 2008; flagged me down and during the ensueing conversation explained that up to 38 mph he had the option to give me a verbal warning, over that he had no choice other than to report me, as it’s logged on the camera’s memory. Got 3 points and £60 fine.

My advice is to pay up and take the points. I tried argueing the toss with one a few years ago, cost me 6 points and £200 fine for having the temerity to give the magistrates something to do.

If you get the option of the course then by all means take it if it keeps your licence clean. Might depend on whether you have any previous.

Is to bend over and take it. :stuck_out_tongue: Theres always goody two shoes to keep the system rolling, but they pay the price. Bin it, don’t sign it and keep your all important licence clean. Live like a cowboy or die like an indian. :bulb: 3pts now could add up to a bann later on. :bulb:

Yep… on our insurance premiums when the cowboys with dodgy licences do the inevitable, prang someone, insurance invalid and honest people end up paying. :imp:

If it’s his first offence it’s unlikely to make a ha’porth of difference. And a ■■■■ sight cheaper than the plod catching up with you in the long run …and they will unless you’re very, very lucky.

Mr. P, I take a fair bit of what you say as tongue in cheek and Scottish bravado, and I’m sure you’re a decent bloke who just wants to earn a living like the rest of us; but in this day and age it just ain’t smart to brag about being a cowboy on a public forum for “professional” drivers.

Over the years I’ve been caught 3 times (never more than 3 points on my licence), and amazingly it’s been 41 mph each time :confused: How’s that for a coincidence?

fabregas:
hello all,sorry my first post is for advice but did’nt want to post anything up until i got a job.normal thing 2years exp.anyway i have been caught doing 41mph in a thirty.i was leaving witney on my way to avonmouth when i saw the sign for 30 but it was to late a mobile camera was hidden behind a cottage.lack of experience and local knowlege i know but what should i expect ?

cheers paul

Not in Curbridge was it? My employer wouldn’t get involved when I considered appealing a speeding fine (36 in a 30) despite the fact my tacho said I was cruising dead on 30 for about 5 minutes before and after the offence time. Apparently they couldn’t be seen to argue with the authorities. I had £68 load bonus taken from me as that was what I earned the week I got flashed.

A cautionary tale for the clever dicks who think they can ignore NIP’s;

Chances are the driver hasn’t just screwed himself up but possibly the company and his former colleagues as well.

I rest my case.

Absolutely no awareness courses in Scotland… Only points or a day out at court on offer… :-/

You might be lucky, i drove through Standlake (just outside Witney) back in September, just slowing into the 30 limit and spotted a camera van, looked down and saw i was doing 42 :unamused:

Not heard anything since.

fabregas:
hello all,sorry my first post is for advice but did’nt want to post anything up until i got a job.normal thing 2years exp.anyway i have been caught doing 41mph in a thirty.i was leaving witney on my way to avonmouth when i saw the sign for 30 but it was to late a mobile camera was hidden behind a cottage.lack of experience and local knowlege i know but what should i expect ?

cheers paul

Were you in a works vehicle? If you were the NIP will go to the registered (i can’t remember it it’s owner OR keeper). They will then send it back saying who was driving. You will then receive a NIP a few weeks later.

If this is the case DON’T ignore it. The police will already know the NIP has been received and acknowledged and that is enough for them to do you for failing to reply.

pavaroti:
Don’t sign it, bin it. And bin the next ones when resent till a registered letter arrives, don’t sign for it and blank the door if knocks, give it a few moon and you should be in the clear. :wink:

Did this, first 2 times it worked! Third time got done for failing to provide the required inf, 650.00 fine & 6 points!!!

bazstan009:

pavaroti:
Don’t sign it, bin it. And bin the next ones when resent till a registered letter arrives, don’t sign for it and blank the door if knocks, give it a few moon and you should be in the clear. :wink:

Did this, first 2 times it worked! Third time got done for failing to provide the required inf, 650.00 fine & 6 points!!!

C+E or C or D categories are Vocational! Offered to you on certain conditions! You can safely drive the type of vehicle under the regulations of construction and use and tachograph operation!
Can be taken away from you easier than you earned it! Mess with the system and it will bite you back real hard!

franklin:
Absolutely no awareness courses in Scotland… Only points or a day out at court on offer… :-/

You’re right there, just got £300 fine plus 5 points but never had to attend.

raymundo:

franklin:

What for? :confused: What happened? :confused: :frowning:

mucker85:

fabregas:

cheers paul

Were you in a works vehicle? If you were the NIP will go to the registered (i can’t remember it it’s owner OR keeper). They will then send it back saying who was driving. You will then receive a NIP a few weeks later.

If this is the case DON’T ignore it. The police will already know the NIP has been received and acknowledged and that is enough for them to do you for failing to reply.

They must have proof that you have received the nip, mail goes astray all the time. Just cos the nip went to your boss first time means nothing. Boss could have made a mistake or be trying his luck etc

fabregas:

cheers paul

I believe there`s a Mrs Huhne…

Take it on the chin mate if its your first one it,s not worth the sleepless nights :wink:

pavaroti:

raymundo:

franklin:

What for? :confused: What happened? :confused: :frowning:

Doing 90 in a 60 limit on the A9 in my car about 10 mile South of Aviemore, because I pleaded guilty the fine was reduced from £450 and the points down from 6. Only bloody vehicle for miles was the pig in his trough :imp:

Gridley51:

fabregas:

cheers paul

I believe there`s a Mrs Huhne…

Ex Mrs, now known as Vicky Pryce. They are in court at the mo, BOTH being done for perverting the course of justice.

Muckaway:

fabregas:

cheers paul

Not in Curbridge was it? My employer wouldn’t get involved when I considered appealing a speeding fine (36 in a 30) despite the fact my tacho said I was cruising dead on 30 for about 5 minutes before and after the offence time. Apparently they couldn’t be seen to argue with the authorities. I had £68 load bonus taken from me as that was what I earned the week I got flashed.

That seems like a poor show from your boss, couldnt you send the tacho data in yourself or take it to court with you?