Driving time in 24 hours Q

This morning I started at 3am. I parked up at 16.00 having done 8.56 driving so that left me an hour on a 10. Just supposing I wanted to start at 1am tomorrow would that be possible given I’d be doing more than an hours driving before 3am. In other words doing more than 10 hours in the 24 hours from 3am Monday.
See what I’m getting at?

Not a problem. Your daily rest resets the drive time.
Twenty odd years ago you might have caught a fine, but not now.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

When you’ve had your daily rest you reset your 24 period so the answer is yes

Ah right, thanks.
Parked on, or is it in? Portland tipped out so all I gotta do tomorrow is pick the drag up from where I dumped it earlier in Chippenham and get back to donny. Earlier I get back the earlier I’m home.

nomiS36:
Ah right, thanks.
Parked on, or is it in? Portland tipped out so all I gotta do tomorrow is pick the drag up from where I dumped it earlier in Chippenham and get back to donny. Earlier I get back the earlier I’m home.

Everybody does things differentlly,… but I’ve never got the concept of just working and sleeping endurance excercise style approach to this job, and then starting at some ungodly hour just to get home.
If I did that pattern and then re.started at 1 am, by the time I’d got in the house my eyes would be like ewe’s front bottoms :smiley: , and all I’d be good for was 3 hours in bed…so what would be the point.
I’ll just continue with my relaxed approach to the job I reckon, to avoid the heart attacks. :wink:

Yeah I know what you’re saying but I’m an early to bed early to rise type. I’m not saying I will start that early, just wondered that’s all.
Kicking off early means a no traffic hassle nice peaceful drive back.
I’ll see how I feel.

Yep as the others have said no issues, it’s possible to drive 13.5 hours in a 24 hour period under EU regs.

But for the few on GB domestic regs it’s 10 hours in a 24 hour period

robroy:

nomiS36:
Ah right, thanks.

Everybody does things differentlly,… but I’ve never got the concept of just working and sleeping endurance excercise style approach to this job, and then starting at some ungodly hour just to get home.
If I did that pattern and then re.started at 1 am, by the time I’d got in the house my eyes would be like ewe’s front bottoms :smiley: , and all I’d be good for was 3 hours in bed…so what would be the point.
I’ll just continue with my relaxed approach to the job I reckon, to avoid the heart attacks. :wink:

Maybe, you are older and can’t hack the faster pace of life, :blush: personally, I would rather do as the gent says and get home and nod off on the couch than be in the tin box … will miss the rush hour and possible accidents etc. that’s the beauty of jobs you can do the job, to suit as you require…

discoman:

robroy:

nomiS36:
Ah right, thanks.

Maybe, you are older and can’t hack the faster pace of life, :blush: personally, I would rather do as the gent says and get home and nod off on the couch than be in the tin box … will voice the rush hour and possible accidents etc. that’s the beauty of jobs you can do the job, to suit as you require…

Precisely [emoji1360]

nomiS36:
Kicking off early means a no traffic hassle nice peaceful drive back.

I found that…

I was getting held up more on nights than I was on days. The simplest of journeys was made nigh on impossible by hopelessly planned closures, restrictions (involving two lanes coned off for miles and miles and one bloke with a wheelbarrow fast asleep in a van) and then closures on the obvious diversions.

I’m with robroy on this one, I’d just stay in bed until I woke up and then head back.

discoman:

robroy:

nomiS36:
Ah right, thanks.

Maybe, you are older and can’t hack the faster pace of life, :blush: personally, I would rather do as the gent says and get home and nod off on the couch than be in the tin box … will miss the rush hour and possible accidents etc. that’s the beauty of jobs you can do the job, to suit as you require…

:laughing: :laughing: ‘‘Can’t hack it’’ :smiley: , yeh, ok right :unamused: cheers mate,. : :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe I am a bit older …yeh, but maybe also a little bit wiser eh?
I’ve never been one for arse on fire teararsing about, or as I said treating the job like an endurance test with matchsticks keeping my eyes open, it’s neither professional nor condusive with road safety…or my potential health.
I prefer getting the job done…but at my own sensible pace, and ME deciding how much rest I have, not a tachograph, and certainly not some 8 hour shift guy on the other end of my phone.

So maybe that’s why I don’t look like I’ve already got a foot in the coffin also eh? …at my age. :neutral_face:
Hope that clears that one up for you. :bulb:

Ok maybe the o/p likes early starts and all the rest of it, but given the derisory amount of hours we are allowed to work, it WILL eventually catch up with him maxing out and minimum rests as a routine work pattern.
…Just because things are legal, it does not make them safe. :bulb:

As for the use of the old ‘‘sleeping in a tin box’’ tiresome chestnut :unamused: …that was the point where you lost all credibility with me. :smiley:

No need for defensiveness robroy mate. Nobody saying you’re wrong and I’m not saying I’m right.
I could have done it either way with no pressure from anybody or the tacho. I was in bed for 6.30 and up at 1.30, plenty of sleep for me these days.
Back in donny now, wide awake and no heart attack [emoji3]

nomiS36:
No need for defensiveness robroy mate. Nobody saying you’re wrong and I’m not saying I’m right.
I could have done it either way with no pressure from anybody or the tacho. I was in bed for 6.30 and up at 1.30, plenty of sleep for me these days.
Back in donny now, wide awake and no heart attack [emoji3]

No ‘‘defensiveness’’ aimed at you at all mate.
I’d already said to you ‘each to his own’ and all that, and that we all had our own way of doing things.
You think your way is right, and I think mine is, that’s how things work.
I was explaining how I do it, and my opinion on your way, as I’m sure you will have an opinion on my way…that’s all . :bulb:

Tbh I was answering the guy who suggested I could not hack the job…(still laughing my ■■■■ off at that one btw. :laughing: )

robroy:

discoman:

robroy:

nomiS36:
Ah right, thanks.

:laughing: :laughing: ‘‘Can’t hack it’’ :smiley: , yeh, ok right :unamused: cheers mate,. : :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe I am a bit older …yeh, but maybe also a little bit wiser eh?
I’ve never been one for arse on fire teararsing about, or as I said treating the job like an endurance test with matchsticks keeping my eyes open, it’s neither professional nor condusive with road safety…or my potential health.
I prefer getting the job done…but at my own sensible pace, and ME deciding how much rest I have, not a tachograph, and certainly not some 8 hour shift guy on the other end of my phone.

So maybe that’s why I don’t look like I’ve already got a foot in the coffin also eh? …at my age. :neutral_face:
Hope that clears that one up for you. :bulb:

Ok maybe the o/p likes early starts and all the rest of it, but given the derisory amount of hours we are allowed to work, it WILL eventually catch up with him maxing out and minimum rests as a routine work pattern.
…Just because things are legal, it does not make them safe. :bulb:

As for the use of the old ‘‘sleeping in a tin box’’ tiresome chestnut :unamused: …that was the point where you lost all credibility with me. :smiley:

He was up from 3am, all he is doing is starting 2 hours earlier. 1am start, easier roads less traffic etc … not all people need loads of rest, provided I get 5 hours I am right as rain … it’s his choice no one said he is running around chasing his tail … he is merely being productive with his time to get home earlier. That in itself is a good thing … also, it’s legal so exploit it for his use. Rather then the company trying to make him RR to benefit them … some tin boxes are nice and a home from home … remember, he will be in your shoes in many years to come and will be like yourself. As a youngster, it is all about the bread … make as much as you can whilst you are healthy.

Youngster!!! [emoji23]
Turned 48 the other day [emoji17]
But I’m just shy of 12 stone fit n healthy so still up for it. [emoji2]

nomiS36:
Youngster!!! [emoji23]
Turned 48 the other day [emoji17]
But I’m just shy of 12 stone fit n healthy so still up for it. [emoji2]

So just to sum up…You’re a kid, and I’m past it. :laughing:
You aint THAT younger than me either btw. :smiley:

Btw Mr Disco, I did not say I NEEDED ‘‘loads of rest’’ either.
It’s just that I now chose to do the job fully alert, 5 hours kip, let alone 5 hours rest :open_mouth: does not fit that criteria imo.
Ok, I too could do it on 5 hours kip no probs, and have done hundreds of times (pre can’t hack it days that is :smiley: ) but as I said it does catch up with you, and usually without you realising it !!,

Then the ‘‘I don’t need loads of rest me’’ mantra comes back and bites you on the arse very quickly,… resulting in a ■■■■ up situation.
I’ve done 80s trucking, when rest was an optional luxury,so I do know what I’m rabbiting on about,…so you can either believe me or not believe me,… I aint fussed tbh. :neutral_face:

Sometimes you don’t have a choice if you’re catching a ferry or a plane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazingly it seems I made it home without squashing any baskets of kittens, mini buses full of orphans or RSPCA vans full of neglected puppies! [emoji2][emoji1]

Ok robroy, I parked up about 2.5 hours from base at 16.00 today. Running in and going home again so what time would you start? [emoji23]

nomiS36:
Ok robroy, I parked up about 2.5 hours from base at 16.00 today. Running in and going home again so what time would you start? [emoji23]

Can’t speak for Robroy but if it was me I’d be starting at 4am. That gives me 12 hours off, a chance to relax and get a good nights kip. I’d be back home just after 7am and have the rest of the day off fresh, rested and ready to enjoy my time off as opposed to starting at 1am and falling asleep on the settee at 1pm thus wasting what is in effect a day off.