Maximum driving time hours in 24 hours

I saw question on Facebook asking what is the maximum your allowed to drive in a 24 hour period, I was always lead to believe it was 10 hours, even if it was either side of a daily rest.

i.e. Start a 6:00, checks etc leave at 6:30. Drive until 11:00, 45 min break, drive until 16:15, another break until 17:00 and drive until 18:00.

Now that’s 10 hours driving, and my understanding is if you drive before 06:30 the following day, then you’d have over 10 hours in a 24 hour period.

Just interested?

It’s legal (although unrealistic) to do 13.5 hours driving in a 24 hour period.

Yep, your 11/9 hour rest resets the clock. Iirc it wasn’t always so but a legal test case clarified this.

the maoster:
Yep, your 11/9 hour rest resets the clock. Iirc it wasn’t always so but a legal test case clarified this.

Ive heard drivers mention this and its more like BS from lazy drivers!
Out of interest when was this court case, as ive never heard of 10 hrs drive in 24 hrs being max in 26 years of driving.

the maoster:

I’m sure that was the law quite a few years ago, hence why I asked, but as usual driver seem the last to know when the law changes.

I cant get in writing what i want to say :blush: :laughing:

Stevie B71:

the maoster:

I’m sure that was the law quite a few years ago, hence why I asked, but as usual driver seem the last to know when the law changes.

Out of interest, how long have you been driving, and how long have you only done 10 hrs driving in a 24 hr period?

Perhaps someone was getting mixed up with EU and UK domestic regs

UK domestic regs has a 10 hours max for driving in a 24 hour period

Start at 00:00, drive 9 hours with a 45 minute break, start rest at 09:45. Take 9 hours rest, start next shift at 18:45. Drive 4.5 hours, start break at 23:15. 13.5 hours driving in a 24 hour period.

weeto:

Stevie B71:

the maoster:

Out of interest, how long have you been driving, and how long have you only done 10 hrs driving in a 24 hr period?

Who, me or Stevie?

weeto:

I would of been driving 22 years, I don’t drive full time now, it was just I saw the post on Facebook and remembered a conversation I had, had with a guy, about 10 years ago, where he told me that he had, had an infringement about driving over the 10 hours(and he was an older guy that had work on international with my dad, so I have no reason to disbelieve him!!!)

So glad that we all have our Dcpc.

SWEDISH BLUE:
So glad that we all have our Dcpc.

13.5 hours :sunglasses: thank you! :grimacing:

Probably more confusion concerning the definition of ‘day’ under EU regs.I’m guessing it meant maximum driving time between ‘daily’ ‘rest’ periods not across 24 hours including a daily rest period.The fact is EU regs are a joke in terms of stopping knackered drivers running into things or off the road if they are maxed out to the limits.

ROG:

ROG, does that mean the max duty time is 11 hours in a 24 hour period? Ergo, minimum break between duties is 13hrs? I ask because i work on domestic, and some of the breaks between duties that crop up are (in many peoples opinion) a bit on the dodgy side…

E.g. If i work say 6am to 5pm, I can’t be in again before 6am the following day ?

Also, while im at it… do the night working regs apply to GB domestic hours, and if so, how do they interact?

Ta,
Chris.

Chris1207:

ROG:

ROG, does that mean the max duty time is 11 hours in a 24 hour period? Ergo, minimum break between duties is 13hrs? I ask because i work on domestic, and some of the breaks between duties that crop up are (in many peoples opinion) a bit on the dodgy side…

E.g. If i work say 6am to 5pm, I can’t be in again before 6am the following day ?

Also, while im at it… do the night working regs apply to GB domestic hours, and if so, how do they interact?

Ta,
Chris.

There is a difference between the ‘duty’ limit and spreadover IE overall start to finish time including duty ‘and’ breaks and reduced daily rest periods etc.Like the EU regs it all gets a bit silly if it is maxed out on a regular basis.One of the advantages of domestic regs is that it allows a bit more flexibility in driving time which can mean the difference between getting finished and home or run out of driving time under EU regs.It really is time the whole thing was simplified as 12 on 12 off,1 hour break and no seperate driving time limits.

transportsfriend.org/hours/domestic.html

Chris1207:
…does that mean the max duty time is 11 hours in a 24 hour period? Ergo, minimum break between duties is 13hrs? I ask because i work on domestic, and some of the breaks between duties that crop up are (in many peoples opinion) a bit on the dodgy side…

The maximum duty time in 24 hours for domestic rules is 11 but that doesn’t have to be continuos. There is no maximum ‘spread over’ time or minimum continuous daily rest period specified in the domestic rules for goods vehicles. It’s not like the EU rules were you start work and have to be finished a maximum of 13 or 15 hours later.

You theoretically could start work and do an hour on duty followed by an hour off and repeat this pattern until you’ve clocked 11 hours of duty which would leave just 3 hours before your next 24-hour period begins and you could be on duty again. It would be nuts but legal.

So if i did 9 hours continuous duty on, say, a Monday, The earliest i could start the next day would be 2 hours earlier than the time i started on Monday, i.e 11 hours, then a new 24 period begins? Or if 10 hours, then can start 1 hours earlier, and if 11 hours, no earlier ?

E.g. Mon: 4pm start, 3am finish = 11 hours duty, Tue earliest start 4pm? Or if 2am finish, could start at 3pm?

There’s only a couple of runs where we can come close to maxing out our 10 hours driving time, but there’s a fair few where you can get close to 11 hours duty.

And what ‘breaks’ are you entitled to on domestic, nada?

Chris1207:
So if i did 9 hours continuous duty on, say, a Monday, The earliest i could start the next day would be 2 hours earlier than the time i started on Monday, i.e 11 hours, then a new 24 period begins? Or if 10 hours, then can start 1 hours earlier, and if 11 hours, no earlier ?

E.g. Mon: 4pm start, 3am finish = 11 hours duty, Tue earliest start 4pm? Or if 2am finish, could start at 3pm?

That’s about the size of it.

Chris1207:
And what ‘breaks’ are you entitled to on domestic, nada?

None specified. The domestic rules for goods vehicle don’t lay down much in the way of maximums or minimums with regards to breaks, daily or weekly rest. he only thing that is detailed is the 11 hours duty in 24 and the 10 hours driving in 24.