Maximum driving time hours in 24 hours

when on domestic you come under the normal wtd and not the mobile workers one, so that entitles you to a 20 minute break if working over 6 hours, but no requirement to take it.

also any day you drive less than 4 hours, then there’s no limit on duty time.

Coffeeholic:

Chris1207:
So if i did 9 hours continuous duty on, say, a Monday, The earliest i could start the next day would be 2 hours earlier than the time i started on Monday, i.e 11 hours, then a new 24 period begins? Or if 10 hours, then can start 1 hours earlier, and if 11 hours, no earlier ?

E.g. Mon: 4pm start, 3am finish = 11 hours duty, Tue earliest start 4pm? Or if 2am finish, could start at 3pm?

That’s about the size of it.

Chris1207:
And what ‘breaks’ are you entitled to on domestic, nada?

None specified. The domestic rules for goods vehicle don’t lay down much in the way of maximums or minimums with regards to breaks, daily or weekly rest. he only thing that is detailed is the 11 hours duty in 24 and the 10 hours driving in 24.

:confused:

16 hours max spreadover.

10 hours minimum daily rest between two ‘consecutive working days’.Reduced to 8.5 hours up to 3 times per week.

Minimum 45 minutes break in 8.5 hours or 30 minutes minimum after 5.5 hours driving.

Carryfast:

Coffeeholic:

Chris1207:
So if i did 9 hours continuous duty on, say, a Monday, The earliest i could start the next day would be 2 hours earlier than the time i started on Monday, i.e 11 hours, then a new 24 period begins? Or if 10 hours, then can start 1 hours earlier, and if 11 hours, no earlier ?

E.g. Mon: 4pm start, 3am finish = 11 hours duty, Tue earliest start 4pm? Or if 2am finish, could start at 3pm?

Chris1207:

None specified. The domestic rules for goods vehicle don’t lay down much in the way of maximums or minimums with regards to breaks, daily or weekly rest. he only thing that is detailed is the 11 hours duty in 24 and the 10 hours driving in 24.

16 hours max spreadover.

10 hours minimum daily rest between two ‘consecutive working days’.Reduced to 8.5 hours up to 3 times per week.

Minimum 45 minutes break in 8.5 hours or 30 minutes minimum after 5.5 hours driving.

AFAIK, that ^ is for PSV only and is what i worked to when I briefly used my Cat D, again AFAIK, it doesn’t apply to HGV domestic.

stevieboy308:
when on domestic you come under the normal wtd and not the mobile workers one, so that entitles you to a 20 minute break if working over 6 hours, but no requirement to take it.

That’s kinda what i thought, but VOSA or whatever they are calling themselves today, don’t mention it:

“If you drive a vehicle subject to the GB domestic drivers’ hours rules or are an occasional mobile worker (see text box opposite), you are affected by four provisions under the 1998 Regulations.
These are:
u weekly working time, which must not exceed an average of 48 hours per week over the reference
period (although individuals can ‘opt out’ of this requirement if they want to);
u an entitlement to 4.8 weeks’ paid annual leave (increased to 5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009);
u health checks for night workers; and
u an entitlement to adequate rest.
Adequate rest means that workers should have regular rest periods. These rest periods should be sufficiently long and continuous to ensure that workers do not harm themselves, fellow workers or others and that they do not damage their health in the short or long term.”

Carryfast:

Coffeeholic:

Chris1207:

Chris1207:

16 hours max spreadover.

as has been said, there’s different domesic rules for psv and hgv

Carryfast:

Coffeeholic:

Chris1207:

Chris1207:

16 hours max spreadover.

Nope, that’s not the goods vehicle domestic rules.

Chris1207:

Carryfast:

Coffeeholic:

Chris1207:

Chris1207:

16 hours max spreadover.

AFAIK, that ^ is for PSV only and is what i worked to when I briefly used my Cat D, again AFAIK, it doesn’t apply to HGV domestic.

stevieboy308:

That’s kinda what i thought, but VOSA or whatever they are calling themselves today, don’t mention it:

“If you drive a vehicle subject to the GB domestic drivers’ hours rules or are an occasional mobile worker (see text box opposite), you are affected by four provisions under the 1998 Regulations.
These are:
u weekly working time, which must not exceed an average of 48 hours per week over the reference
period (although individuals can ‘opt out’ of this requirement if they want to);
u an entitlement to 4.8 weeks’ paid annual leave (increased to 5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009);
u health checks for night workers; and
u an entitlement to adequate rest.
Adequate rest means that workers should have regular rest periods. These rest periods should be sufficiently long and continuous to ensure that workers do not harm themselves, fellow workers or others and that they do not damage their health in the short or long term.”

yeah, you might be right!

stevieboy308:

Carryfast:

Coffeeholic:

Chris1207:

Chris1207:

16 hours max spreadover.

as has been said, there’s different domesic rules for psv and hgv

As I remember working under domestic regs as a council HGV driver at least a reasonable spreadover and break regime was applied without regard to any difference between the types in practice.IE exceeding a 16 hour spread would require more than 5 hours in breaks which in most cases is unrealistic.

In which case the excuse that it is theoretically legal,having run into something at the end of a 24 hour spreadover for example,probably wouldn’t wouldn’t work wether it is an HGV or PSV.

Or for that matter even a light vehicle that isn’t under any hours regs at all.IE the courts will put what they consider as being reasonable before maxing of theoretical hours regs.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1703935.stm

it does say this in the regs!

‘Adequate rest’ means that workers should have regular rest periods. These rest periods should
be sufficiently long and continuous to ensure that workers do not harm themselves, fellow workers
or others and that they do not damage their health in the short or long term.

if 2 drivers both fall asleep and crash, 17 hours from the start of duty, one illegal on eu and one who’s legal on domestic, they’ll both get done for due care or dangerous or whatever it is classed as, but the eu dude will get done for being over hours a too. you’re still not allowed to fall asleep so long as you haven’t gone over hours!

stevieboy308:
it does say this in the regs!

‘Adequate rest’ means that workers should have regular rest periods. These rest periods should
be sufficiently long and continuous to ensure that workers do not harm themselves, fellow workers
or others and that they do not damage their health in the short or long term.

if 2 drivers both fall asleep and crash, 17 hours from the start of duty, one illegal on eu and one who’s legal on domestic, they’ll both get done for due care or dangerous or whatever it is classed as, but the eu dude will get done for being over hours a too. you’re still not allowed to fall asleep so long as you haven’t gone over hours!

It would be fair to say that domestic regs allow more flexibility in the case of those intending to follow a reasonable responsible approach to drivers’ hours.While EU regs are an inflexible nightmare in that regard at best and just as bad,in providing a false sense of security,in the case of anyone intending to justify the unjustifiable,if maxed out the theoretical max,at worse.