Canute Group

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2018/ … 7C_News_MT

Always advertising and pay absolute garbage wages.Awful for the people who’ve lost their job at Chrimbo.

Can’t get the link page to scroll down, can you post the story here?

Almtone-owned Canute Group will cease trading ahead of Christmas with the loss of 600-plus jobs, after attempts to revive the business in May via a controversial pre-pack sale failed.

Following the purchase of the business from administration for £1.3m by Almtone on 12 May, creditors were left nursing a £5.3m shortfall. However, despite ridding itself of debt, the business only narrowly avoided being wound up by HMRC last month after the taxman raised a petition against it.

This came as the amount the firm owed to creditors including its former pallet network, Pallet-Track, ballooned to more than £157,000 over the last few months.

A source close to the company confirmed the axe would fall this month. “I will be in the same position as all of the other 600 employees who will be seeking employment in 2019,” they told MT.

Another senior industry figure, that didn’t wish to be named, said: “They are looking to finish December 21st… that’s appalling to put people out of work with no money for Christmas.”

MT has also been contacted directly by a Canute employee’s partner who said “such a shame such a big local company is shutting its doors. Very bad for such a big company to go that way.”
In a social media post seen by MT, another Canute employee shared their shock. “Today I found out that the company I worked for is basically going out of business and thus being made redundant with immediate effect”.

MT has also seen a comment online from Dan Bradshaw, listed as the a tender analyst & control manager on Canute’s website, in response to a post titled ‘need great staff for 2019’ under a Canute logo, that a “lot of very talented people up for grabs here”.

One operator contacted MT to report that as a consequence of Canute preparing to close its Coventry depot on 21 December – it lists 70,000ft² of warehousing and Canute Engineering at that location - “customer is transferring their stock to us now. They are concerned there will be no staff to load so are getting agency in!”.Canute Haulage Group fleet

Speaking to a member of staff at Canute’s Coventry site, they confirmed to MT that the 21 December would see most of the group’s operations cease, although there would likely still be an administration function retained after this time to process wages etc. “I’ve worked here for five years and this has been the worst year, madness,” they said.

Begbies Traynor is understood to be in the frame to handle the insolvency process. The company has been contacted for comment.

The directors of Canute Group had not responded to multiple requests for comment as this article was published.

Canute senior management

Glenn Marshall (engineering and compliance director according to the firm’s website) and Michael Ventham remain the named directors of Almtone, which lists its subsidiaries as Canute Logistics, Canute Medical and Canute Engineering.

However, the business established by the Marshall family still lists Noel Marshall – son of founder Arthur or “Jim” Marshall - as MD on its website, although he is not recorded as a director at Companies House.

The same as City Link did just before Christmas back in 2015. :frowning:

Unfortunately it comes as no surprise, i posted this article a couple of weeks ago…

View Topic

Almtone-owned Canute Group has narrowly avoided being wound up by HMRC after the taxman raised a petition against it. This came as the amount the firm owed to creditors ballooned to more than £135,000.

The action came as county court judgments (CCJs) against Almtone/Canute reached 10 with a collective value of £90,922, a total that has steadily climbed during the past few months.

Eight O-licence applications by Almtone, giving the trading name of Canute Logistics, remain under consideration by the Office of the Traffic Commissioner as they have been for the majority of the year.

Motor Transport Article

Feel bad for the guys losing their jobs but fortunately they did sack a hell of a lot of people in May. So at least that gave them a chance to find other work before Xmas.
I hated their purfleet depot so glad I wont have to go there again.

Also surely their recovery division will be kept by someone? They like the only part of the business that was decent.