Hull

toying with the idea of moving up north and living in Hull (town centre area)

Anyone know what the job market is like up there?

Last time I was there, I got accosted by a Zafira-driving, foul-mouthed chav for taking a wrong turn on a diversion. The sign had been moved (possibly by him or his children) and routed me into Bransholme (google it).

I wouldn’t live there if you paid me to.

adam277:

Are you on crack?

adam277:

Anyone know what the job market is like up there?

Sorry but are you out of your mind■■?[emoji849][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Quite a few people work rather in the Grimsby area because wages are a tad better there but rates are generally not as good as down south. But the cost of living is probably less.

Drempels:
Last time I was there, I got accosted by a Zafira-driving, foul-mouthed chav for taking a wrong turn on a diversion. The sign had been moved (possibly by him or his children) and routed me into Bransholme (google it).

Lol I did and this is what I saw when I street viewed it first image.
google.co.uk/maps/@53.78813 … 312!8i6656
in case anyone cant see it then it’s 2 guys on the street holding cans of beer.

I’m just toying with the idea atm as I know it is quite cheap up in Hull.
Also I hate living near the dartford bridge I hate going over it daily. I hate the M25. I hate London.

The main reason I’m thinking about it is that I would like to back to University at some point and I like the courses the University of Hull do.

Don’t just think you can move to Hull if you have a hint of Essex or Kent tongue.

There is an entrance exam and DNA testing to be done first.

My experience of Hull is much like Liverpool: much maligned and scoffed at by others but in my experience quite pleasant places with cheerful people.

No expert on the job situation there but Wren Kitchens will have plenty of own account stuff out of Barton and I’m always seeing ads for x,y and z out of Immingham on Facebook groups.

Hull certainly is not the most celubrious place but there is worse. People tend to be friendly although have a bit of a crappy accent.
Some nice places around and about outside Hull and not far from plenty seaside resorts and Yorkshire Dales.
Job wise not so sure now but there was plenty last time I heard.Go for a weekend and have a look maybe!

It depends on your original origins?
Where you from?

Not worked from there but did a lot of fridge deliveries to places in the town, do seen a bit of it.

Talking to people there, wages are like end like north east but houses are cheap. Mind you, from what i seen you have to be very careful where you go. Anywhere i went was really dodgy council estate from the 80s look with cars, chavs snd babies galour to match.

Also phones are only from Kingston Telecom who apparently make BT look brilliant.

Very heavily populated by eastern europe which likely helps keep it friemdly but wages depressed. Lots of fish and meat processing plants do plenty of fridge work, but never saw any local hauliers oddly. We travelled 150 miles to pick stuff up.

The place always comes top in the “crap towns” book and got city of culture which translates as is really dire. And it smelled and not of the sea. See the estuary and you’ll see what i mean.

The main road through seems to be regularly closed at least each time i went, unfortunately often by people wanting to jump off the bridge, which is also a toll and the only sain way to go south. You did mention hating Dartford.

The university looked nice inside when i did some non driving work on there. Very upto date and was having money spent on it. So its not all bad.

Plenty of places in Yorkshire look nicer…like anywhere. :wink:

Avoid living in the town centre area. Best parts are Kingswood, Sutton and northern end of Beverley road above Sutton Road, Victoria Dock, Garden Village, most of West Hull which is in the East Riding (Cottingham, Anlaby, Willerby, the Ellas etc)

Truck driving around a tenner an hour but going up. If you’re set on being more near the centre of the city you can find houses from below £50k although driving down those streets you probably wouldn’t be overly interested in them.

The main appeal for me was the cost of living to be honest.

I didn’t think the area would be that bad but I guess there is a reason it is cheap.

P.S I think I’m gonna watch the Brothers Grimsby as that was shot in the nearby area. :stuck_out_tongue:
youtube.com/watch?v=_YtclB_02wA
Think the portrayal of the people is accruate xD?

Dont live in the centre…you would regret that…try as sujested the outskirts.

Iv heard going across the bridge to immingham etc pays well.

Good luck in what ever you decide

Drempels:

Ive done the Tesco @ Bransholme a few times, very interesting, especially early evening when the locals` are starting to get restless and are looking for a bit of entertainment :open_mouth:

Most of the population up there are sound IMO, you just get the chav element which tarnish the scenery somewhat :unamused:

Adam277, I think you have your facts wrong, Brothers Grimsby was filmed in Tilbury, because it’s a @@@@hole, I was living down in that area at the time the film crew was there.
Sapper

Can’t be that bad

As last year hull was the city of culture

I moved…

‘Ooop North’ from the south coast many years ago. I ended up living near Wakefield because that’s where the young lady I was seeing at the time lived. I’d suggest anywhere around the Leeds area because there are numerous agencies and plenty of varied jobs. Perhaps more than Hull which to me has always seemed run down and rather isolated.

They don’t call the A63 “the road to Hell” without good reason

yourhavingalarf:
Perhaps more than Hull which to me has always seemed run down and rather isolated.

Its isolated but far from run down. No idea when the last time you went but its had a lot of money spent on the city.

As for the university, I went there to do my BEng degree, conveniently local and it is highly regarded for its engineering degrees. I found it a very nice place to be when I was studying there. Don’t know what you’re going to study but if it is mechanical engineering you won’t have any time for doing any truck driving as it is a full timetable for contact as in nearly 40hrs a week on site and then you’ve got self study on top of that. In comparison my electronics engineering was just 22hrs contact.

It is deffo not the worst place to live…im an east hull lad brought up on a roughish estate but which city does not have bad areas?

I only moved on to outskirts of hull due to my job.at the time but its best going for a drive round to see which areas you like look of.

It deffo not the worst place you could live