Considering moving to Leeds. Good idea?

Hi lads,

I’m currently living in Northampton and doing some class 2 works through agency, it seems there is work here but I don’t get very good ones and I don’t work 5 days a week, 3-4 on average.

I’ve seen good rents prices up there and I’m wondering if would be a good idea moving on. I would go to bradford or some far from town center areas.

What the lads think ?

thanks in advance

Alvk00:
I’m wondering if would be a good idea moving on. I would go to bradford or some far from town center areas.

What the lads think ?

Well, each to his own but I would sooner gouge my eyes out with a spoon than live in Bradford. :wink:

I live 10 miles from Leeds, it’s a great place I think but as a Yorkshire man I’m biased. I’m doing some warehouse work at the minute but when I’ve needed any class 1 work I’ve always managed to find some.
Whereabouts are you thinking of renting? There are a couple of no go areas, not unlike any other big city. Bradford for me has no redeeming features. Everywhere is a dump, most cities have rough places but Bradford for me has nothing but.
I know an agency that are always ringing me with work that I keep turning away, I could point you in the direction if you want.

South elmsall got plenty off pubs ,chip shops ,and eye candy,and not in the city.

Dan Punchard:
South elmsall got plenty off pubs ,chip shops ,and eye candy,and not in the city.

Plenty of DC work too.
The problem with the eye candy in South Elmsall is that their IQ is the same as their number of teeth!

Thanks for the reply, and for the funny video

I’m taking a look at gumtree and there are good cheap flats at the north of bradford, manningham, I’ve seen also some at the east of leeds. I’ve never been there tbh, maybe I should go for a day and check it out.
which areas are no recommended? I guess the cheaper, the worse, but what can we do, keep trying the lottery :slight_smile:

mick, I haven’t decided it yet, but if I go eventually, it would be great if you can point me out where that agency is.
are there industrial states over there? I’ve heard bad things about bradfor but is that bad actually?

thanks

My in laws live in Bradford, my wife was born there and it’s a right dump.

is it such as a getto… ?

there are no lovely grannies wandering over there? :smiley:

the point is, would be an issue getting a class 2 work within 20 miles ? doesn’t matter if it’s through agency

Don’t go to manningham, unless you don’t mind being the only white man in a pakistani area, and up here we tend to not mix and get along with our muslim neighbours.East Leeds is rough too.Try Morley, Gildersome, Birstall ( j27 m62 )

I’d avoid Bradford like the plague, it’s a ■■■■ hole, no other way to put it really. If you want to be near Leeds I’d look at somewhere around South Elmsall or Castleford, Castleford has a few industrial estates on its door step which could get you some work I’d imagine. As has been said South Elmsall has a few DC’s. You could try Pudsey Transport on the outskirts of Leeds, I done a bit of agency work for them when I 1st moved up that way, not the best paying money but easy work.

I live in wakefield rents arn’t bad here but I’d really look at bradford carefully if that’s where you want to go.
My mate lives there but his street isn’t to my tastes without sounding like a snob but they are some nice bits if you look.
If you move to leeds your best off on the south side of the city in my opinion.
On the work front it’s there if your look for it but don’t expect the mega bucks as them jobs rarely come up in my experience…
Hope this helps

I was born and raised in Bradford. Be prepared for your car insurance to treble when you move there,especially in Manningham unless your first language is Urdu, Gujarati or Hindi. Huge crime area in general, very few jobs around, If you manage to find one don’t expect more than the £7 - 8 ph mark, hence cheap rents and properties in general, which is why i now live in a nicer part of Leeds. Very few perm jobs around here also, you could try agency work around Normanton / Wakefield, loads of industrial units around there, or Sherburn Industrial estates , agencies always looking for drivers for Debenhams, Sainsburys or Stobarts.

thanks all

I’ll look more carefully, and I’ll go to take a look if I move there eventually.

Agencies in Northants. Yep there’s a lot, but only a few worth bothering with. Are you happy to stay on agency or looking for perm?

can you only drive rigids

Try out near Sherburn in Elmet. Fair few distribution places as already mentioned and it’s very pretty. You may need to live closer to CasVegas or PonteCarlo though if you want cheaper rents.

Lots of agency stuff. Sains and Stobrats in Sherburn are always looking for drivers, though to me that suggests it ain’t that great. You’ll need a Class 1 of course for that. McGregor’s in Doncaster are often looking for Class 1s as well.

Hope that’s of some use! :sunglasses:

Can you speak the language fluently?I would not want to go that far South.

alamcculloch:
Can you speak the language fluently?I would not want to go that far South.

+1

How hard is it to actually type Stobart ■■ :unamused:

Moving to Leeds wouldn’t be a bad idea if you lived in Middlesbro’