Considering moving to Leeds. Good idea?

I worked in Wakefield.Doing runs to Europe and back.Gees Haulage seem ok.And on Mothers Way,there is a new family pub/restaurant that has real homemade cakes.Big ones,full of cream.
Some on here may remember Jimmy Gilespie who owned JEG International.
Good night club in Batley.Wild West on the weekend.
Firms in Leeds are Longs of Leeds.And Arla foods Ltd.

thanks for all the replies.

I could drive artics but as I don’t have experience yet I want to take it easy and keep driving rigids.

So I understand is not a good idea moving to bradford, lol.

I don’t speak fluent english to be honest, but don’t think it makes a big diference between northants and leeds, does it?

I think I will stick here for now.

as i said thanks

I’d rather upgrade my licence & stay in northants, plenty of class 1 work, Yorkshire is a zb hole…!

Very few if haulage companies in Bradford. Agency rates are not the best. Manningham is a real ■■■■■■■■ of a place as is most of central Bradford. Wakefield probably best best for the larger industrial estates and access to others like Sherburn or South Elmsall.

?

I think the red light area is near Ingleby road not far from the crisp factory? :wink:

There’s agencies down at Northampton that’ll take on newly qualified drivers you’ve just gotta look if you need the number of one pm me. Works not too bad and it’s well worth a try.

The insurance is very high in bradford but its got some of best food in country an as far as crime goes leeds is much worse manningham is not as bad as they make it out to be the asians arent to bad you get on with them an they dont bother you.

Pimpdaddy:
I’d rather upgrade my licence & stay in northants, plenty of class 1 work, Yorkshire is a zb hole…!

Hahahaha

Clearly you’ve never been through huge parts of it then! Bradford is pretty grim, but at least the place has a bit of character.

Northampton is far from lovely from my memories of it!!

Good luck getting car insurance in some areas of Bradford. Bradford is the capital of personal injury insurance claims, has a lot of uninsured drivers and is so bad that most insurers won’t even quote for two postcodes - BD3 and BD4 I believe. One college student in 2011 was quoted £53,000 to insure a Vauxhall Corsa in Bradford.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14615956

Same is still applicable now apparently.

thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n … s_meeting/

I wouldn’t be moving for work unless you’ve got a class 1 really. Get your hi ab ticket then ring your local jewsons or travis perkins.

Truckulent:
Hahahaha

Clearly you’ve never been through huge parts of it then! Bradford is pretty grim, but at least the place has a bit of character.

Im not really bothered about character, it’s the job opportunities I’m after…

Rents are only cheap for a reason!

Truckulent:

Pimpdaddy:

Hahahaha

Yorkshire can’t be that bad. I moved here 28 years ago and love where I live, sithee.

Ken.

In response to your question of moving to Leeds/Bradford, I can for sure tell you there’s not much work prospect for HGV drivers, yes there are handful of haulage companies in the Bradford but nothing major.

Longs of leeds are looking for class 1 and 2 trampers. And flat/house rents are not that bad in the local area of crossgates. Only a walking distance to there yard

Longs are they still around ? cant say as i have seen any recently

grahamzx6r:
Longs of leeds are looking for class 1 and 2 trampers. And flat/house rents are not that bad in the local area of crossgates. Only a walking distance to there yard

Longs of Leeds are on my list of “do not touch with a barge pole”, and they are there for a good reason

hkloss1:

grahamzx6r:

Longs of Leeds are on my list of “do not touch with a barge pole”, and they are there for a good reason

Yeah. They was on my list aswell for a good 20 years. I live within 3 miles of there yard. And i am working there through an agency. Mainly because its close by and i can pick and choose what i want to do… i have refused to go full time there as there hourly rate for class 1 in my opinion is shocking for some of the work involved

Grahamzx , I used to live xgates area many years ago not been back since '70’s. Longs yard was on Manston road just up from Barnbow. Correct ?
Jim