You think sleeping next to a fridge is bad?

Got woke up at 4am this morning to find one one of those bulkers that take the animal parts to the rendering plants was parked behind me. What a god awful smell! Don’t know how the hell anyone could stand to drive one of those things! At least with a fridge you can put earplugs in.

Put the ear plugs up your nose?

Back in the day…

We back-loaded for Romac, I reloaded for the UK from Holland with ‘wet ossines’ I’m sure that’s what they were called. Basically bits of carcass and other unpleasant things all sheeted over. I tipped it somewhere in Wales and after two days on the move it reeked to high heaven. The ammonia content was off the scale and despite spending the afternoon wearing a mask and goggles hosing the body out, it still stank to high heaven.

I then loaded coal dust on the Saturday morning for a Monday tip. Most of that then stuck to the walls over the weekend and I ended up inside shovelling most of that out despite being the body nearly fully raised.

gimme fridges anyday

During the nineties I used to back load meat and bone meal out of Widnes. The smell from the factory used to get into the cab for days.

Sweeping out a walking floor after a load of incinerator waste has been stewing all weekend is grim.

elsa Lad:
During the nineties I used to back load meat and bone meal out of Widnes. The smell from the factory used to get into the cab for days.

Grannox??

Had similar once. Struggling to find parking late at night in Belgium I squeezed into a spot, being summer put the aircon pod on full blast and went to bed only to wake at 6am by a smell the likes of which I never ever want to experience again. I’d parked right bed to the septic tank and it was being emptied and cab having the smell blown in via the pod. Could smell it for days afterwards

mrginge:

Nailed it !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You get used to it very quickly to be fair.
My nose is so finely tuned now I can tell you what animal the material came from without even looking in the trailer as everything has it’s own distinctive aroma.
Pig innards are by far the worst smelling stuff to deal with followed by lamb/goat and then finally cow.

chicken waste takes some beating?

harrawaffa:
You get used to it very quickly to be fair.
My nose is so finely tuned now I can tell you what animal the material came from without even looking in the trailer as everything has it’s own distinctive aroma.
Pig innards are by far the worst smelling stuff to deal with followed by lamb/goat and then finally cow.

I used to load pig guts in an enclosed skip near stowmarket in the late 80s and take it to landfill . I’d take the short cut and go thru the town center just to watch folk gagging on the way thru . Once on the tip you would just tip it and they would just cover it with dirt to keep the smell down then some poor unsuspecting driver would turn up to tip normal rubbish thinking it was solid ground back up tip and sink in it lol

Used to go to a fish processing factory in Edmonton. There was a truck that came around to collect the waste fish guts. My god it stank when he opened the hatch, instant wretching, but the driver had been doing it so long he said that he couldn’t smell it anymore…

As long as I don’t have to see it I’d be fine. Suffered from anosmia for about 15 years!

I did guts for a while, you do used to the smell and can, as said, distinguish the creature by the whiff of its innards. I’ve parked for the night with a load on many times, both on the road and at either end of the job in a kill or rendering plant, but I was careful to park upwind of anything smelly, getting used to it is one thing, breathing it in for 9hrs is another.

I can definitely sympathize with anybody that complains about a lorry full of rotting carcasses parking nearby.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mrginge:

Ha ha ha ha ha. Coffee most definitely sprayed across screen :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Years ago we used to do cargoes of ‘hoofs & horns’ for Queenborough glue works that came in hessian sacks from India, the livestock among the bags were frightening with rats the size of small cats and other smaller species of creepy crawlies, the dockers (remember them ?) would have large elastic bands around their wrists and their trousers tucked into socks. The stench in the summer was summit else, that was on a wooden Thames barge with no sealed bulkheads, ps. and some of the bones were of questionable origin …

Wheel Nut:

elsa Lad:

Grannox??

Theres a name from the past :open_mouth: what a wonderful place to be on a hot day :slight_smile:

idrive:
Used to go to a fish processing factory in Edmonton. There was a truck that came around to collect the waste fish guts. My god it stank when he opened the hatch, instant wretching, but the driver had been doing it so long he said that he couldn’t smell it anymore…

What sort of fish are not gutted on the trawlers that catch 'em ■■

Twoninety88:

Wheel Nut:

elsa Lad:

Grannox??

Theres a name from the past :open_mouth: what a wonderful place to be on a hot day :slight_smile:

Did you ever get into Rob Dwyers under the viaduct

raymundo:

idrive:

What sort of fish are not gutted on the trawlers that catch 'em ■■

farmed salmon from where they are caught and are transported to the factory for processing. in the hey day of the black fish it was bulker loads out of some obscure little ports out to fish houses around the country