Christmas Run-up 2018

So… Who’s short of drivers then, what with Royal Mail already recruiting in September for this year’s “Christmas Casuals” and all?

Supermarkets?
Other Courier outfits?
General Hauliers?

Has anyone been getting any calls from agency people of late?

Where’s the best reputation, regular work, and hourly rates at this year?

I’m asking - because already - this Autumn feels different somehow from the previous years during which time I’ve been on agency and full time jobs, and have already noticed what I perceive to be a difference…

Seems rather quiet in the mornings for example, - but busier in the evenings?

Bearing in mind I happen to like lates & nights - I’m wondering if now would be a good time to switch back to agency again, rather than move from one full time job to another? :confused:

If you have a decent full time job paying a good rate, i wouldn’t be going anywhere, except for another genuine permanent full time job that has better T’s and C’s.

Not just because of avoiding scum bag agencies as much as possible, but there’s another job change to list on your CV if and when the dogs ■■■■■■■■ of jobs is up for grabs.
I’ll tell you now it was my CV that waltzed me into my present job, some of the better companies will not look at you until they’ve had a checkable CV dropped through the door.

Just told both…

Scum bag agencies I work for to cross my name out for the whole of December. I have much better things to do like jet-skiing, sipping G&Ts by the pool and partying my arse off in a different continent.

i might consider doing something by early jan if they ask nicely

The full time jobs seem to have dried up a bit,round here.
Might have to drop on agency. :cry:

I keep getting txts 360 driver required asap great rates of pay. Long term work. I don’t even have a 360 licence I tried to ring the number but won’t answer the phone. God knows who they are or where they got my number

edd1974:
I keep getting txts 360 driver required asap great rates of pay. Long term work. I don’t even have a 360 licence I tried to ring the number but won’t answer the phone. God knows who they are or where they got my number

Just…

Give 'em a start time anyway lols. :smiley:

google.co.uk/search?q=grott … tivrt=jobs

I waste enough time trying to avoid the sack as it is - without applying for a job where I’m required to actually to sit with one, and go “ho ho ho” a lot! :unamused:

Mind you, the similarity is there… “Plenty of work, ongoingly” until 27th December when the work drops dead, and you need to be on a plane to Vegas with all the £18ph loot by that point…

Oh wait… Where’s the £18ph contract jobs■■? :frowning:

I wouldn’t say there’s a shortage round Preston.

But the agency I was with 12 yrs ago phoned me on the way home from my job to be asked could I do an emergency job.

I just asked was it so and so. They said yes.

Had to laugh as I told them it’s me that called them asking for cover as we are short staffed and need a driver…

It’s not October and silly season is starting…

Why should there be any shortage? The industry is awash with experienced drivers.

Not being able to pick up the phone at midnight and get a driver for 2am is not a shortage condition. Firms are probably just having to plan ahead a bit more and provide a bit more stability and reasonable conditions.

One of our biggest customers came to the office last week and dropped off the “Christmas schedule” - every load that we are planned to do from now to 24th December . Plenty of time to organise "silly season " and get drivers to cover . As they have done this (and are our biggest customer ) they will get priority ie their loads will be covered , others who ring up 2 hours before needing a lorry may just have to wait until we have a slot .

Rjan:
Why should there be any shortage? The industry is awash with experienced drivers.

Not being able to pick up the phone at midnight and get a driver for 2am is not a shortage condition. Firms are probably just having to plan ahead a bit more and provide a bit more stability and reasonable conditions.

We only use agency to cover drivers when we need to pull them into the office due to sick/holiday cover.
Got 1 on his jollies and 1 guy sick. We have been trying for a week to get cover for the next 4 weeks.
Still waiting for cover. So looks like overtime for those indoors…

bertiebus:

Rjan:

We only use agency to cover drivers when we need to pull them into the office due to sick/holiday cover.
Got 1 on his jollies and 1 guy sick. We have been trying for a week to get cover for the next 4 weeks.
Still waiting for cover. So looks like overtime for those indoors…

But again, it’s not a shortage condition that experienced drivers aren’t just dossing around waiting for a phone call for 4 weeks temp work for normal rates of pay, especially at the time of the year where it is traditionally becoming busier and the semi-retired casuals are all getting snapped up anyway.

A shortage condition is when permanent employees cannot be found, retention of full-timers becomes appalling due to poaching, new trainees can knock on a door and walk into any firm they want on a full-time basis, and pay rates for any sort of temporary cover become swingeing compared to the full-time rate (and pay settlements for full-timers across the industry become seriously inflationary, as do haulage prices for customers).

I don’t see the slightest evidence yet of that.

Admittedly you have been searching for a week (not making a phone call at midnight and expecting to cover a 2am start), but do you really think most of the commercial world is able to replace a skilled and experienced employee with another within a week? Especially just for 4 weeks work?

And let’s not pretend we aren’t talking about skilled and experienced drivers. Most firms, last I heard, still don’t want new passes, they don’t want guys who haven’t driven for 6 months, they don’t want guys under 25, they don’t want drivers who haven’t done their type of work before, they don’t want drivers who haven’t had an induction, they don’t want drivers who haven’t got their own safety gear, etc. etc.

If this Xmas period is a bloodbath for hauliers, all you’ll find is that rationing starts to occur, and some less urgent goods will sit in warehouses until January, so that those guys who want work in January will have it, and they’ll be moving goods to be sold next Xmas.

Because it is perfectly apparent that the available driver workforce is being under-used at the beginning of every year, and over-used toward the end, and as the over-supply of drivers abates, that seasonal variation will be smoothed out and converted into full-time, year-round employment.

I got snapped up today :grimacing:

What did you get? :neutral_face:

Back on the pipes.
He said he’d set me back on in the autumn.

Do you drive a Tube Train then? :confused:

No

So, a milk float then?

The calendar turns another page - so my original query still stands:

“What are the agencies paying the big bucks for this coming Christmas…”?

Last year, I heard tales of £17ph at ASDA, £16.84 at RM, etc…

Where’s it at THIS year then?