Is there a Christmas shortage of HGV drivers?

Having read a few articles about driver shortages on the run up to Christmas, I just wondered if this was a true fact? From what I can see on this forum there are many many drivers who are unable to get a job at the moment.

dean68uk:
Having read a few articles about driver shortages on the run up to Christmas, I just wondered if this was a true fact? From what I can see on this forum there are many many drivers who are unable to get a job at the moment.

Its either that or they are blacklisted??

I’ve had nothing this last week for Debenhams, Not even a sniff at a job, not that I’m complaining as its given me chance to pack some more :smiley:

I was on Agency work last year the couple of weeks before Christmas and it was flat out, I think this will happen again.
Despite the long run up by stores advetising, I don’t think many people really gear up and get stuff until the last week or so.

Last year we where absolutely run off our feet and couldn’t get any extra agency for love nor money this year we are dead so far no rush as of yet.

merc0447:
Last year we where absolutely run off our feet and couldn’t get any extra agency for love nor money this year we are dead so far no rush as of yet.

We are exactly the same.Was asked could i do extra shifts w/c 4th dec,said yes.Then turns out theres nothing doing.

I agree this year seems to be different, certainly in the Carlisle area, if anything things seem to have quietened down recently.

3 shifts this week, nothing so far for next week :open_mouth:

Not really related to the topic subject, but has anyone heard of agencies going bust, because of a new rule, or something?

Would that be “The Agency Workers Regulations”. The Agencies are very quiet around Portsmouth.

PinkLadyTrucker:

dean68uk:

Its either that or they are blacklisted??

I’ve had nothing this last week for Debenhams, Not even a sniff at a job, not that I’m complaining as its given me chance to pack some more :smiley:

you been working at the new debenhams(dhl) place in sherburn■■?

i had an agency wanting me to go and work there, they said it will last til february 2012, decided against it

work very quiet out there up till this week where it seems to have picked up a lot so presume from next week onwards should be busy
although saying that called out to two jobs this week and when i got there they were cancelled

selby newcomer:

i had an agency wanting me to go and work there, they said it will last til february 2012, decided against it

Never Say No to an agency, there are many ways of indirectly saying it, but never Say No and turn a job down
its the fastest way to find yourself waiting by the phone, but no one ever rings. its a BS game everyone plays

As for the pre-Christmas period, AFAIK its significantly slower than last year.
The local grapevine of agency drivers has noted a lower number of drivers being used each day on sites within 15-20 miles.
Drivers (on the books) whom I know have noted they are getting fast turn around times at drops, due to less traffic

peirre:

selby newcomer:

Never Say No to an agency, there are many ways of indirectly saying it, but never Say No and turn a job down
its the fastest way to find yourself waiting by the phone, but no one ever rings. its a BS game everyone plays

As for the pre-Christmas period, AFAIK its significantly slower than last year.
The local grapevine of agency drivers has noted a lower number of drivers being used each day on sites within 15-20 miles.
Drivers (on the books) whom I know have noted they are getting fast turn around times at drops, due to less traffic

i know what your saying but the only reason i said no, was because the agency i am with at the moment have been really good, had me every day at the same place since i signed up with them last january but the last few weeks have been really quiet, so i was expecting to get laid off for days here and there, so i made a few phone calls and checked what work is about. 1 agency wanted me to go to dhl debenhams in sherburn, but i knocked it back as thought i was on a safer bet for work where i already was.

selby newcomer:

It will be DHL at Sherburn, I had no info re just till Feb 2012, But I am on good terms with the transport manager

I did a trunk run to Sherburn, popped my head around the window and asked if any jobs going, nothing was said at first, but he asked me to shift a couple of trailers and when i returned to the office he then had a chat, and stated that he would take me on, but only via the agency
Im keeping options open thou, give it a couple of months, and if nothing solid happens, then I will continue my search for full time
We have our fingers crossed to move on the 10th

In the northamptonshire district agency work was flat out untill the last 4 weeks and has just gone dead ever since

Think every one is postponing Chritmas until next year. The whole job seems very slow for the time of year.

im flatout till march :slight_smile:

I mentioned on another thread that only Pertemps seem to have been advertising for drivers this year. My agency is ticking over, but certainly not struggling for drivers.

I can certainly see that some of the smaller agencies will be struggling (one local agency has gone bust and done a phoenix at least twice in the last few years, without the new regs, so I don’t hold out a lot of hope for them in the coming year :exclamation: )

Normally hundreds of Drivers at Christmas booked in,plenty Shifts but little Hour,as every Year

Mike Lewis:
Think every one is postponing Chritmas until next year. The whole job seems very slow for the time of year.

Dont think so.
Seen by Shunting yesterday one Trunk after the other,wirg 5 waiting on gate and Parking outside full.
seems gettin on from Today

chicane:
I agree this year seems to be different, certainly in the Carlisle area, if anything things seem to have quietened down recently…

Between late March and mid July I had pretty much hee-haw (apart from the odd Saturday on the bins, or at Jewson when their own agency couldn’t supply), but since then I’ve been non-stop at the same place so I don’t really know what the general crack is. Down to luck and company restrtucture more than anything else. Won’t know until Feb '12 (when 25+ bods are due to be shown the door) if the job becomes permanent or not, or even if I’ll take it.

Come to think of it, I’ve had no contact with the agency for over 2 months now.

One lad who was made redundant from this place in July signed up on agency in Sept and has had as much Class 1 work as he’s wanted, as long as it doesn’t interfere with his golf. :confused: