Back in the hot seat

So today has been the 1st time in about 10 years I’ve driven an Arctic. I hated it.

I got my licence around 11 years ago and not really used it. Only a handful of times 10ish years ago so I was very nervous.

I was hoping to be paired up with someone for a few days as I’d requested but a couple of drivers been sick ended that glimmer of hope.

I had a couple of collections about 30mins away at newlyweds, ossett. I managed to reverse onto bay 1 fairly ok. I made myself take my time and shunt a few times. Once loaded this is where I had a meltdown. I’d very little idea of opening the curtains and then using the internals. What a ■■■■■■■ nightmare. I had to ask a newlyweds driver for help and advice… He was spot on. Great fella, he explained things pretty well and helped me. He was very helpful and telling me not to rush and panic, we all have to start somewhere. So thank you buddy if you’re on here!

Back to yard, mess around with curtains and get forkie on the job. Then back to newlyweds. This time to the goods in part. I just say I got a terrible positions but after messing about for what seemed years I said ‘I’m sorry can’t fully get it into the painted box I’m not far off will that do’? Thankfully he was ok with it even if he did say I’ve made a balls of it. Loaded easier this time as it was side loaded I could strap and get sorted as he loaded away. Back to yard and unloaded. Un hitch trailer and go home.

Glad it’s done with. Dreading tomorrow already. Driving I didn’t feel bad, got a bit close to kerbs a couple of times I admit but dreading reversing and messing about curtains. Don’t know how long I’ll last…

Thanks for reading and sorry to have gone on a bit.

I betcha nearly every bugger here can remember their first few forays out, and are very glad it got better after a while, which is exactly how things will turn out for you.

We’ve all been there and don’t you ever doubt it, no bugger was good from day one…and some of us aint much better donkeys years later :blush:

It’s close maneuvres are your worse fear by the sounds of it, and what you do about that is to not avoid them but to do them in a safe environment where you can’t do any harm as often as possible, so find yourself a nearly empty lorry park every day whilst you’re out and about, and pick a slot to reverse into that no matter how much you ■■■■ it up you can’t hurt anything, then put that lorry into the space from every angle and from every direction, drive up a quiet industrial estate road, there’s a road going nowhere to one side, well reverse into it for the hell of it, there’s another one cracked.
After a few days doing this it’ll come, you will not beat it by avoiding it, you’ll ■■■■ it by practice and then more practice.

I practice what i preach by the way, even after all these years i try to perform at least one blind side every day even if not needed, just to keep my hand in, no bugger was born an expert, some pick it up better than others but usually those who keep at it till they’ve cracked it.

Chin up mate :sunglasses:

Stick in there. Few days or a week and you will feel a lot happier. I had the nerves a bit going from Hiab and plant work to Class 1 general stuff. Within first couple weeks think I’ve done almost every type of load. Nearly came unstuck when I had to rope n sheet 70 coils in Dudley. Thankfully the extremely helpful shunter showed me what was needed. Basically done it for me but it was certainly a lesson gratefully received. Its great if an old hand can help. Dont be afraid to ask. Majority will give you some time and advice.

Absolutely every one without exception on here has been in the same situation so don’t sweat it.

Well, apart from those who fell out the womb with an atlas and a class one licence. There’s some of those on here too :laughing:

But it gets easier. Keep asking other people and it will soon click. End of the day nobody was killed, nothing was damaged and you’ve got home so was it really as bad as you think because I’d say it’s been a success :slight_smile:

Well done on your first day back!!

I’ve been hauling for the same firm for my whole career, still make mistakes and learn from them.

Do my full time job in my sleep, but whenever I do a bit of agency work I feel like a complete amateur!

Look forward to hearing more.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Pretty much going to repeat what others have said, stick with it, if you’re going to the same place everyday you’ll soon get to know their way of doing it and the people so chance for a bit of banter and feeling more relaxed.

I had a terrible time when I started, the job seemed so hard, especially the manoeuvring, kept thinking about jacking it all in, then it started to click into place, I got to know a few of the regular tips, found it easier to manoeuvre the truck, still made a few howlers and still do, :blush: but I’ve enjoyed a lot of the driving work I’ve done over the years and still do enjoy it on most days, so pleased I didn’t give in.

Finally good to hear that there are still drivers out there who’ll help another driver, I’m sure he’s not in the minority, but often hear the things to the contrary these days.

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.

Now I’m chilled out at home and seeing my little ones face before she went to bed im happier in what I’ve done today. Her little face is the reason I’ve stuck it out today to be honest.

Hopefully it will come In time. Been a proper kick in the teeth as I’ve always been a very confident driver. I’ve had alot of experience in class 2 and found it ‘easy’, so I just thought I’d pick it up again. Sadly not, seems a fair few years not doing something bake you much worse! I go again tomorrow. I’ll update over the next couple of days or so, don’t want to bore you all too much.

As everyone else has said, stick with it and it’ll all come good. We’ve all been there. Just remember to take it really slow when manouvering, that way there’s obviously less chance of hitting anything and also you have more time to react to what the trailer is doing, and most importantly if you are in any doubt get out and have a look!
I remember when I passed my test back in 2008, I was looking for the odd agency shift but as the country had just gone ■■■■ up i didn’t get anything for ages. So in the meantime I used to go out every now and again with a mate who is a owner driver for a local company. He’d do the deliveries and collections and then let me drive back to the yard and then leave me to get it on a bay while he went and sorted the paperwork out. Quite often he’d come back from the office to still find me shunting about trying to get it on the bay and then take the ■■■■ asking if I was going to replace all the diesel I’d used!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Well done You! Deep breath and carry on and think how would Mr Percy Veer do it.

I recall my first ever attempt at roping an sheeting, was a full load out of Rutherglen depot of oil barrels and pallets of drums on top, all I was given was 3 small haps (covers) with no ties, and 5 ropes.

Bloody wind blew the cover and me with it, and yard was closing soon, shouts from office to hurry up.

I just sat down and had a little self pity weep to myself, until I heard this deep gnarly voice behind me say, " oi son having issues? ", yeah! flipping blew off trailer twice! “Aw, that happens” he said, “learn to fall”, and laughed, “Here wanna hand”? “Yes please. thanks”, I replied, “OK lets start again as your first sheet is on upside down inside out”, where upon he started to strip off the only sheet I got to stay on, “Go get yer ropes”, and started to throw and unroll the sheets back on, by the time I had un knotted the ropes he had finished all 3 sheets, now he said can you tie a hitch?, “em, I think so” …“Ok the rest is easy from here, good luck son”.
“God bless you sir”, I replied, where he just nodded, waved and walked off to his own loaded truck and drove out the yard.

Bit slow with the hitches but I managed to get the load tied and looking like I seen others do it before. Drove home feeling proud that I was loaded and safe with that load.

Next morning I went straight to my boss, " These sheets needed replacing with two new longer ones"!..“Okay well done lad, I will get new ones for you later today”. which he did. The rest is history!

One small tip when getting loaded, wait until forkie has finished before starting tie down, check on load before tying it down and get forkie driver to rearrange any incorrect load if needed.
Many an unlucky driver has been squashed with forklifts while throwing and tying down straps etc., it only needs to happen the once.

Don’t be scared to ask for help if unsure…the clever ones always do! :laughing:

I bet if someone didn’t drive a car for ten years, they would feel nervous, so a truck is bound to make the best of people throw a wobbler!

A few weeks in and you will be a trucking god :sunglasses:

albion:
I bet if someone didn’t drive a car for ten years, they would feel nervous, so a truck is bound to make the best of people throw a wobbler!

When i have a fortnights holiday the lorry seems ridiculously big when i get back into it :open_mouth: , be a nightmare after 10 years, not surprising the OP is finding it a bit daunting.

albion:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
i had a 10 year break a while ago,and when i sat in the unit the nearside mirror was 20 yards away.
1st trip and my bum was twitching like a rabbits nose as soon as i came off the motorway and actually had to drive the thing.
3 weeks from now you can look down from your big wheel and sneer on those lesser class 2 mortals who will be enviously looking at you in complete awe and admiration.

Day 2… I’ve had enough. Was suppose to be a steady day for me today as I told them my concerns. All changed. Got 3 drops and 2 collections. Given a big bunch of paper work and told ’ don’t worry about that lot , they’ll know what they’re doing at the drop’

Made a complete mess of reverse again at next, Elmsall. After wandering for an age trying to figure out where the hell I was meant to go.

Eventually got onto bay, now waiting to be unloaded. Rang office saying you’ve stitched me up, I’ve no confidence I’m coming back to yard after here. I’ve said I’d stay on class 2 perhaps but if not, I’m off.

I feel pathetic but it’s stressing me out way to much

3 drops and 2 collections cant be construed as stitching you up?
why dont you go in sat and/or sunday unpaid and shunt trailers around the yard for them,or just hook into one and percivere around the yard with it. by monday you will be dead on with sore arms,or itd deffo not be your true vocation in life.
driving class 2 ■■■■■ if your qualified for class1

2nd day mate, you can’t expect to be at yard shunter standard of maneuvers on day 2.

The days work sounds fine to me, better than a bloody rigid with 14 drops and 6 collections which might be the alternative.

Either do as dieseldog says and spend a day shunting round the yard or go and book a days refresher somewhere. All it is, is lack of recent practice, not that you can’t do it. Seriously, get a day of reversing sorted and the next day you’ll slotting those trailers on bays in one.

I rarely get out of the office and if I do, it’s a van. Popped next door to bring a 7.5 back to ours a couple of months back…rabbits hop less. I was so :blush: :blush: :blush:

What you need…

To grasp hold of (and pretty ■■■■ quick too) is the bullsquirt you’re being told every time before you turn up. You’ve asked for easier runs and jobs because you want to learn and help out where you can and that’s an honest and honourable thing to do. What you’re getting is…shafted. Who ever you’re talking to behind the counter or on the phone or via email doesn’t give a tinkers curse about you or your efforts to learn and get back into the flow of things.

If you continue where you are expect to get all the crap and rubbish because frankly my dear…they don’t give a ■■■■.

Too many firms think throwing you in the deep end of the way forward… It really isn’t with a 44 ton rig.

As for the workload? Take your time.
Transport office staff know nothing about the struggle that is finding goods in/out… if it takes 15 hrs just make sure you do it legally and without a heart attack.

The reverses will get easier… avoid blind siding where possible… you don’t need to be a hero. If you’re getting sweaty palms I suggest whacking the air con on, turn the music off… stress is just your way of seeing the situation… No one gets in trouble for taking their time and doing an extra 10 shunts.

Good luck with day 3!

:slight_smile:

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

At my request I’m going in the rigids tomorrow for a few days. Build my confidence back up. Then doing bits here and there in Arctic just until I’m confident enough. Had a good chat and a bit of help of another this afternoon and he’s made me feel better. I’m his defence so has the gaffer. He’s now realised I’m struggling and is been reasonable in his approach to getting me happier and encouraging me to stay and not give in.

Strapping :blush:
Curtains :blush:

No ta :laughing: